By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 16th August HW up; + adjustments; PS4 at 9.9M

Arkaign said:
Ninsect said:
Conegamer said:
I'm somewhat concerned that, if this thread is like this on a regular week like this...then what will happen on, say, Destiny week? Worrying stuff.

"Salt" comments aren't helping the situation either you know. Let's tone them down to zero from this point, please.

I think everyone expects PS4 to rape everything when Destiny releases (but maybe some more than others) so it won't be as bad.

On the other hand, I do still see people claiming tier 2 countries will close the gap lol

I've seen some people think that Destiny release will boost XB1 as much or nearly as much as PS4 because of Bungie, lmao. What a ludicrous idea.

Lol that is true. Even if we ignore the obviously huge difference in Destiny FW sales on PS4 vs. One (~2:1), PS4 still has the white bundle which alone would be enough for a big boost even if it didn't come with a game at all due to its sexiness.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
Vincoletto said:
CGI-Quality said:
NewGuy said:

PS1 = 102.49/147.07 = ~70%

PS2 = 155/211.34 = ~73%

Lord have mercy! They basically had NO competition!

In PS4's case, it'll probably settle between 50 and 60%, but not over. Still a blood bath, nonetheless!

Wow, that's impressive, I knew they dominated but never stopped to make the calculations. I wonder if GameCube and Nintendo64 were profitable for Nintendo, considering sales of consoles, games and all the costs involved. 

Nintendo has always been profitable, barring maybe the tail end of the Wii years leading into the Wii U. That's just the way they operate since they are solely a gaming company (technically AV equipment/entertainment) and that influences everything down to the initial hardware designs where production cost/BoM plays a key role to keep MSRPs within the range of typical consumers, not just core audience/early adopters. 

So while the N64 and certainly not the GC didn't replicate the successes of the NES and SNES, they were still profitable even if they did generate less revenue over the lifetime of their respective hardware product cycles. 

haxxiy said:
Vincoletto said:

Wow, that's impressive, I knew they dominated but never stopped to make the calculations. I wonder if GameCube and Nintendo64 were profitable for Nintendo, considering sales of consoles, games and all the costs involved. 

Well, at least for one quarter on 2003 the GameCube generated enough losses to cancel out all the profits from the GameBoy. Beyond that we'll probably never know.

What a shame... The GameCube was a very underrated console..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Pretty crazy numbers. I just can't imagine what Ps4 will do year 2 and 3 when the software piles up or even this fall.

On a side note, can someone explain to me why quote trees are so icky but people frequently use the term "rape" to describe console sales and it doesn't seem to be an issue?

Ka-pi96 said:
greenmedic88 said:

Nintendo has always been profitable, barring maybe the tail end of the Wii years leading into the Wii U. That's just the way they operate since they are solely a gaming company (technically AV equipment/entertainment) and that influences everything down to the initial hardware designs where production cost/BoM plays a key role to keep MSRPs within the range of typical consumers, not just core audience/early adopters. 

So while the N64 and certainly not the GC didn't replicate the successes of the NES and SNES, they were still profitable even if they did generate less revenue over the lifetime of their respective hardware product cycles. 

But Nintendo also had the hugely succesful Gameboy, and slightly less succesful Gameboy Advance during those years, so even though they made a profit overall the N64/Gamecube may not have had much if anything to do with it.

I doubt either console lost Nintendo money although the strength of their portable business makes it harder to assert, one way or another.

Essentially Nintendo is a three legged company between their portables, their consoles and their in house IPs. Although I suppose name branding and merchandising could be considered a 4th leg. I don't know how much their World of Nintendo stores generate in profits or if they're just there for showcasing purposes. There's no doubt that merchandising Pokemon has generated big revenue for the company.

As an NTDOY holder, I should probably be on top of these things. 

But going back to the GC, given the low production costs, even upon introduction, the transition to cheaper optical media from expensive solid state cartridges, which was an issue with the N64, I doubt the GC lost Nintendo anything other than marketshare over that hardware product cycle, which was already low leading off from the N64 due entirely to the success of the PS1.

Around the Network
Smeags said:
1. Quote trees. I've been nice and removed them from this page. I'm going to stop being nice now. Stop the massive quote trees or you will be moderated for it.

2. Enough of the "LOL UR SALTY" "NO UR SALTY LOL" "NO WAI MR. SALT!". If you think someone is unnecessarily flaming/trolling, then report it. The inane chatter doesn't add anything to the discussion (but it does add to my headache).

@_@

The recent obsession with calling people salty has become the most annoying thing on the site.

steverhcp02 said:
Pretty crazy numbers. I just can't imagine what Ps4 will do year 2 and 3 when the software piles up or even this fall.

On a side note, can someone explain to me why quote trees are so icky but people frequently use the term "rape" to describe console sales and it doesn't seem to be an issue?

Apparently people on VGC find that term less offensive than the aforementioned if no one is being moderated for it or is complaining for its use/overuse. Say something about it.

The PS4 has already hit that 10m milestone marker, and in well under a year, so it's tough to say, but assuming the 8th gen doesn't peter out faster than previous generations, presumably it's looking at lifetime sales in the 100m range.

But one of the current theories is that there have simply been more early adopters/core consumers, which aren't good indicators of the overall direction of the industry with respect to the broader consumer base. Since those are the sales that sustain hardware platform sales, they're actually more important than the first year or two. Of course, that's just a theory being thrown out as to why the PS4 is selling so well. Doesn't explain why Wii U sales were so luke warm by comparison. Or PSV sales for that matter.

Smear-Gel said:
Smeags said:
1. Quote trees. I've been nice and removed them from this page. I'm going to stop being nice now. Stop the massive quote trees or you will be moderated for it.

2. Enough of the "LOL UR SALTY" "NO UR SALTY LOL" "NO WAI MR. SALT!". If you think someone is unnecessarily flaming/trolling, then report it. The inane chatter doesn't add anything to the discussion (but it does add to my headache).

@_@

The recent obsession with calling people salty has become the most annoying thing on the site.

It has become the new butt-hurt. 

With regards to ridiculous statements that are not backed by anything substantial, I prefer the term "delusional."

Smear-Gel said:
benji232 said:
And wiiU is going to drop like a rock next week to sub 50k because of Japan. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. It's probably going to be in the 40k region in 2weeks.

People have been saying this will happen for 3 months. Dont see much of a reason for next week to finally be the time.

Quite simple... It dropped by 10k in Japan which would put it at around 54k. Then you have Europe that is steadily dropping. It's not going to be in the 40k region next week, but it's very likely that it will be there in 2-3weeks unfortunetely because of Japan and Europe.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

greenmedic88 said:
Smear-Gel said:
Smeags said:

@_@

It has become the new butt-hurt. 

With regards to ridiculous statements that are not backed by anything substantial, I prefer the term "delusional."

You get banned much more easily by using delusional though.