By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto explains the shift away from casuals.

Aielyn said:

First he says that there's no point focusing on the consumer that just wants to passively be entertained. They interpreted that to mean "no point focusing on casuals". Which is nonsense. He's saying that games should be about gaming, not about a story that you watch. He's criticising development of games that are really nothing more than somewhat-interactive movies, and praising games that engage the player.

That's a very wishful interpretation of his words, to say the least. He explicitly expressed disinterest into catering to people who have only a passing interest in games and view all forms of entertainment as basically fungible. The author of the piece may well have had an agenda in writing this, but so do you in (mis)reading it.

Around the Network
Roar_Of_War said:

Miyamoto sounds like such a bitter man in this interview.

I'm surprised this is actually real. Sort of, at least. It's clear he's been wanting 2D Mario fans to move to 3D Mario games for a long time now, and he's completely failed to do so. This might be confirmation of the end of 2D Mario (from Miyamoto's team, at least).

If you follow Miyamoto's answers to questions on Nintendo's investor meetings, he is very well spoken and knowledgeable about the situation.  I suspect some language nuance was lost in the translation when he called casual gamers "pathetic".

Which part of the interview gives you the idea that it's the end of 2D Mario?  I hardly think 2D Mario is a casual game.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
Roar_Of_War said:

Miyamoto sounds like such a bitter man in this interview.

I'm surprised this is actually real. Sort of, at least. It's clear he's been wanting 2D Mario fans to move to 3D Mario games for a long time now, and he's completely failed to do so. This might be confirmation of the end of 2D Mario (from Miyamoto's team, at least).

If you follow Miyamoto's answers to questions on Nintendo's investor meetings, he is very well spoken and knowledgeable about the situation.  I suspect some language nuance was lost in the translation when he called casual gamers "pathetic".

That's just a interpretation error. He called the attitude pathetic, not the actual players.

Clyde32 said:

Miyamoto says his team doesn't want to cater for those who have a "passive" interest in games
"[These are] the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie. They might want to go to Disneyland," he said.

"Their attitude is, 'okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.' It's kind of a passive attitude they're taking, and to me it's kind of a pathetic thing. They do not know how interesting it is if you move one step further and try to challenge yourself [with more advanced games]."

This is quite a harsh statement. Maybe they just don't enjoy these games, but okay.

Squeezol said:
Clyde32 said:

Miyamoto says his team doesn't want to cater for those who have a "passive" interest in games
"[These are] the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie. They might want to go to Disneyland," he said.

"Their attitude is, 'okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.' It's kind of a passive attitude they're taking, and to me it's kind of a pathetic thing. They do not know how interesting it is if you move one step further and try to challenge yourself [with more advanced games]."

This is quite a harsh statement. Maybe they just don't enjoy these games, but okay.

It could be translation. But whatever, that's what it says.

Around the Network
Clyde32 said:
Squeezol said:
Clyde32 said:

It could be translation. But whatever, that's what it says.

Are we really going to blame the translation here? :P

Anyway, I don't really get this. I thought Nintendo liked casual gaming a lot.. Well, maybe Miyamoto had a bad day.

I think the casuals shifted away from them.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:

You had to be that one guy.

That's great news! Unfortunately they won't make much money just focusing on the hardcore gamers.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Clyde32 said:
Fusioncode said:

You had to be that one guy.

What would you do without me? 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!