By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto explains the shift away from casuals.

Fusioncode said:
Clyde32 said:
Fusioncode said:
I think the casuals shifted away from them.

You had to be that one guy.

What would you do without me? 

I was thinking about that last night.

Around the Network

This doesn't mean jack-shit.

The core gamer will still be uninterested in Nintendo because of their software output and their relationship with third parties. Not to mention the gen-old hardware they offer with their barely-existent online service.

I doubt very much whether things will change (software wise).

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer

Aielyn said:
----
"[These are] the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie. They might want to go to Disneyland," he said.

"Their attitude is, 'okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.' It's kind of a passive attitude they're taking, and to me it's kind of a pathetic thing. They do not know how interesting it is if you move one step further and try to challenge yourself."

"In the days of DS and Wii, Nintendo tried its best to expand the gaming population," he said.

"Fortunately, because of the spread of smart devices, people take games for granted now. It's a good thing for us, because we do not have to worry about making games something that are relevant to general people's daily lives."
----

I think customers do know how interesting it is to move one step further and challenge yourself.  This is why Wii Sports, Wii Fit and Wii Play worked so well.  It allowed them to challenge themselves in ways that they were familliar with and cared about and was accessible because you mimiced how it was done in real life.  Adding a bunch of buttons and extra analogs does not make your games more challenging. It makes your games less resemble general people's daily lives and thus any chance they might  even recognize the challenge invovled because it has become more abstracted.   

I don't think that Miyamoto understands why smart devices have spread so rapidly so swiftly.  It is percisely because they are relevant to general people's daily lives.  

If this is the attitude he has overseen WiiU's design and software with then no wonder it failed.  Miyamoto is no better than Ubisoft peddling less well made and less desirable software and blaming consumers that it didn't sell. I guess job well done Miyamoto might never have to worry about making games that are relevant to general people's daily lives ever again.  I guess Miyamoto as an artist is just too good for general people's money.  

No matter how you interpret those  words it's certainly not rosy.

If this was true then what will be that Quality of Life stuff they're planning?

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Soma said:

It isn't gaming.

Around the Network
Clyde32 said:
Soma said:

It isn't gaming.

From what I know it will have software similar to Wii Fit and Brain Age, so there's a bit of gaming to it. Maybe not traditional gaming but still Nintendo focusing on the same Wii Fit audience.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Congratulations Nintendo, you have made sure that I will never buy a Wii U. And as long as Miyamoto is Senior Managing Director I will never buy a Nintendo device.

Rhonin the wizard said:
Congratulations Nintendo, you have made sure that I will never buy a Wii U. And as long as Miyamoto is Senior Managing Director I will never buy a Nintendo device.

So this is full admitance to being a casual?

This actually makes me hopeful that their gen 9 console will be pretty powerful. I'm glad he said this.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Also, I found an amazing gif that would be appropriate for replies.