By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto explains the shift away from casuals.

Soundwave said:
Aielyn said:
That article was full of nonsense being put into Miyamoto's mouth. If you ignore all of their "explanations" of what he means, and all of their contextualisation that is entirely their own, Miyamoto's words actually say something different.
----
"[These are] the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie. They might want to go to Disneyland," he said.

"Their attitude is, 'okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.' It's kind of a passive attitude they're taking, and to me it's kind of a pathetic thing. They do not know how interesting it is if you move one step further and try to challenge yourself."

"In the days of DS and Wii, Nintendo tried its best to expand the gaming population," he said.

"Fortunately, because of the spread of smart devices, people take games for granted now. It's a good thing for us, because we do not have to worry about making games something that are relevant to general people's daily lives."
----

First he says that there's no point focusing on the consumer that just wants to passively be entertained. They interpreted that to mean "no point focusing on casuals". Which is nonsense. He's saying that games should be about gaming, not about a story that you watch. He's criticising development of games that are really nothing more than somewhat-interactive movies, and praising games that engage the player.

Most so-called "casuals" like games that are easy to get into, not necessarily ones that don't challenge you. Wii Sports Bowling is easy to play, but getting a 300 isn't easy. NSMB Wii had a lot of hidden depth, but families could play it easily.

Then they've interpreted comments along the lines of "we wanted to make sure that gaming was expanded, hence the DS and the Wii" followed by "now you can even do it on phones" as an indication of no need to "reach out" to those customers... but that's not what he said. What he said was that gaming has been broadened, now, so they don't need to introduce people to gaming - they're already there. He's praising Nintendo for starting the trend of gaming into the mainstream, not saying that Nintendo doesn't need to try to capture the mainstream anymore.

The article is full of the stupid "hardcore" media crap - elitism meets ignorance.

His comments speak for themselves, not sure why you feel the need to interject your own agenda. 

Because the article authors already injected theirs. Have gaming journalists ever proven themselves more reliable than forum members? Really?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Soma said:
Clyde32 said:
Soma said:
If this was true then what will be that Quality of Life stuff they're planning?

It isn't gaming.

From what I know it will have software similar to Wii Fit and Brain Age, so there's a bit of gaming to it. Maybe not traditional gaming but still Nintendo focusing on the same Wii Fit audience.

It doesn't matter if it has a bit of gaming to it because it's a different part of their business and not what Miyamoto is referring to.

Mr Khan said:
Soundwave said:

His comments speak for themselves, not sure why you feel the need to interject your own agenda. 

Because the article authors already injected theirs. Have gaming journalists ever proven themselves more reliable than forum members? Really?

I have a very low opinion of gaming journalism, but this is a bit too much.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

it´s easy to say something like that when you already lost the casual market, but alot of their marceting-campaigns and follow-ups of wii sports and fit tells you that they clearly thought they would get the wii-audience back and now they say something to please the hardcore nitendo fans a.k.a. the only people who bought a wii u

Brotherstotheend said:
it´s easy to say something like that when you already lost the casual market, but alot of their "marketing-campaigns" and follow-ups of wii sports and fit tells you that they clearly thought they would get the wii-audience back and now they say something to please the hardcore nitendo fans a.k.a. the only people who bought a wii u

What Marketing Campaigns? Did you see any advertisements for Wii Sports Club or Wii fit U? They needed to follow those games up just for the people that bought the Wii U for those games. 

Around the Network
Brotherstotheend said:
it´s easy to say something like that when you already lost the casual market, but alot of their marceting-campaigns and follow-ups of wii sports and fit tells you that they clearly thought they would get the wii-audience back and now they say something to please the hardcore nitendo fans a.k.a. the only people who bought a wii u

They just continue to sell it. Some people still like. Sony did the same, M$ did the same. I can't see any problem

Click HERE and be happy 

The Wii was for the casuals? You don't say.Nintendo feeling the backlash after selling out? Really.

I said all this in 2006 and knew it would haunt them when they released their next console, but their fans called the Wii unique,innovative and fun.

Funny how they always admit the truth after the fact.The PS1/2 grew the industry,not the Wii.The Wii U uses another gimmick controller, except this time it failed like Kinect.

So now they are doing damage control.Nothing more.This is just PR for their diehard fans who drink their bland koolaid every time.

What hardcore games are on the console?Nothing from them.Someone daid Wii U is the GC successor, lol as if that's any better.

spemanig said:
Miyamoto for president.

Project Giant Robot and friends still sucks ass, though.

I've always thought that Miyamoto should have taken over for Yamauchi.

RolStoppable said:
Wow, this is big news. Finally a crystal-clear admission that the Wii U was never intended to be a follow-up to the Wii. I mean, anyone who was able to put the pieces together already knew that, but for a lot of people this will come as a surprise.

It's also interesting how much contempt Miyamoto has for the Wii owner who didn't "upgrade" to his beloved 3D Mario and the like. Then he continues by displaying immense denial when he says that Nintendo doesn't need to make games that are different from the ones they made in the eighth generation. Nintendo's financials suggest otherwise.

But its kind of clear that it was. It was just supposed to be more in the middle ground then the wii. The Gamepad is first and foremost a gimmick that was supposed to appeal to casuals but not alienate the core. If they were going for the core audience as their main demographic I don't think they would have launched the system with 2D mario and Nintendo land or been pushing titles like wii fit U and Wii U karaoke... All clearly an attempt to swoom the wii's casual audience. Nor would they have released a system so far behind the PS4 and Xbox One. Miyamoto may have been done with casual audiences from a while back but I don't think Nintendo designed the wii U with the core in mind. If they did they would probably be fairing a lot better then they are.

outlawauron said:
Mr Khan said:
Soundwave said:

I have a very low opinion of gaming journalism, but this is a bit too much.

At least in terms of spin, not really. Obviously games journalists are better informed (most of the time).

I agree with Aielyn's assessment in that i think he was talking about Nintendo still seeing games as toys (in the sense of how the user is meant to interact with them) versus how many consumers see games as entertainment. The passive-active divide is not the casual-core divide, but rather one about how we are given these games and should expect to amuse ourselves with them, as one might a set of tinkertoys, rather than to be amused BY them, as one would expect of a novel or TV show.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.