By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto explains the shift away from casuals.

Clyde32 said:
the_dengle said:
Funny, he didn't even use the word casual.

You can interperet it however you want. 

I already have. It's pretty easy to interpret.

"[These are] the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie. They might want to go to Disneyland," he said.

The key is to accept that Miyamoto is not taking a jab at people who bought and played games he himself had a hand in making (Wii Sports, Wii Music, Nintendogs, etc). He is not biting the hand that feeds him. That interpretation doesn't make any sense. Wii Sports is not a "passive" game for people who "want to watch a movie."

He did not use the word casual, and putting that word in his mouth only confuses the message here. He is not talking about typical "casual" gamers who play Madden or Kinect Sports or Mario or whatever it is people think this single all-encompassing phrase for an imaginary demographic implies. He is talking about "passive" gamers who prefer to watch games play themselves while they succeed without making an effort.

Take a look at a game like Clash of Clans. There is no end goal, but let's suppose the objective is to upgrade your base as much as possible. You cannot lose. The only question is how long it will take, as if you are patient enough you will never have to actually play the game. You can have setbacks where you will lose some resources, but you will recover them if you wait a while. Of course if you don't want to wait, you can just throw hundreds of dollars at Supercell and buy your way to completion instantly.

Compare this to Miyamoto's most recent game: Pikmin 3, which is very accessible to "casual" gamers. It's really not very difficult, but even so the game won't play itself. This is a game for active gamers who want to be engaged in the games they play. Miyamoto does not want to play games while people watch, he wants to watch others play the games he makes.

Granted, he is not explicitly discussing games, but playstyles. There may be some gamers who play his games "passively," and I think he's acknowledging that. But he is saying he doesn't want to cater to that style of play, and for the most part I don't think he ever has. Wii Music may have been pretty close, but I don't think Miyamoto sees it that way.

So, Miyamoto is not explaining any kind of shift in any direction, certainly not "away from casuals." I guarantee Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, and Mario Party will continue. Miyamoto does not exclusively discuss his own projects. He likes to talk about his views on the state of the industry in general. He is offering his opinion on certain games and playstyles, and essentially doubling down on Nintendo's position that they aren't interested in making freemium or $1.99 mobile games. He wants to continue to make high-quality experiences that engage players.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

I already have. It's pretty easy to interpret.

"[These are] the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie. They might want to go to Disneyland," he said.

The key is to accept that Miyamoto is not taking a jab at people who bought and played games he himself had a hand in making (Wii Sports, Wii Music, Nintendogs, etc). He is not biting the hand that feeds him. That interpretation doesn't make any sense. Wii Sports is not a "passive" game for people who "want to watch a movie."

He did not use the word casual, and putting that word in his mouth only confuses the message here. He is not talking about typical "casual" gamers who play Madden or Kinect Sports or Mario or whatever it is people think this single all-encompassing phrase for an imaginary demographic implies. He is talking about "passive" gamers who prefer to watch games play themselves while they succeed without making an effort.

Take a look at a game like Clash of Clans. There is no end goal, but let's suppose the objective is to upgrade your base as much as possible. You cannot lose. The only question is how long it will take, as if you are patient enough you will never have to actually play the game. You can have setbacks where you will lose some resources, but you will recover them if you wait a while. Of course if you don't want to wait, you can just throw hundreds of dollars at Supercell and buy your way to completion instantly.

Compare this to Miyamoto's most recent game: Pikmin 3, which is very accessible to "casual" gamers. It's really not very difficult, but even so the game won't play itself. This is a game for active gamers who want to be engaged in the games they play. Miyamoto does not want to play games while people watch, he wants to watch others play the games he makes.

Granted, he is not explicitly discussing games, but playstyles. There may be some gamers who play his games "passively," and I think he's acknowledging that. But he is saying he doesn't want to cater to that style of play, and for the most part I don't think he ever has. Wii Music may have been pretty close, but I don't think Miyamoto sees it that way.

So, Miyamoto is not explaining any kind of shift in any direction, certainly not "away from casuals." I guarantee Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, and Mario Party will continue. Miyamoto does not exclusively discuss his own projects. He likes to talk about his views on the state of the industry in general. He is offering his opinion on certain games and playstyles, and essentially doubling down on Nintendo's position that they aren't interested in making FTP or $1.99 mobile games. He wants to continue to make high-quality experiences that engage players.

Way to go overboard. 

Clyde32 said:

Way to go overboard. 

Great rebuttal.

I have thoughts on the matter and too many people are reading two sentences and jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Here is the TL;DR version for you:

Miyamoto is not biting the hand that feeds him. Wii Sports is not a "passive" game for people who "want to watch a movie."

Miyamoto's most recent game, Pikmin 3, is very accessible to "casual" gamers. It's really not very difficult, but even so the game won't play itself.

There may be some gamers who play his games "passively," but he is saying he doesn't want to cater to that style of play, and I don't think he ever has.

So, Miyamoto is not explaining any kind of shift in any direction, certainly not "away from casuals."

I hope that is succinct enough for you?

I think your read on the comment is wrong. Miyamoto is comparing casual gamers to casual tourists (content tourists if you will) like the types of people who go to Disneyland.

They're just their to see the sights, but they're not heavily invested into anything.

Casuals are the same way ... they're there for a day or two, want to go on the rides, try some ice cream, but they're not in it for the long term.

Every game requires some level of activeness, a person in a coma can't play a video game. 

KylieDog said:

His words are hot air.

Says these things but no evidence from Nintendo they doing such things. Still got a forced Gamepad bundle when the screen and its gimmicks are a casual attraction, all their big efforts have been casual games and aside from maybe Xenoblade everything Nintendo is making is casual. 

"Their attitude is, 'okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.' It's kind of a passive attitude they're taking, and to me it's kind of a pathetic thing.

Lawl at this line, yes, you fucking well should entertain us if you want our money.

Fucking Amen to that.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Notice, this is PR Spin.
Public Statement of the company: PR
Spin: Spinning the poor casual adoptable of the system as a conscious choice.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I hope this means a early 2017 home console with 4K graphics for $399.00
Let's do this.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Moonhero said:
Let's do this.

Maybe, but I suspect no. 

Soundwave said:
Moonhero said:
Let's do this.

Maybe, but I suspect no. 

Me too. That's why I hope for it. This would be so tits if it happened.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Wii U was obviously designed for casuals. First of all re-using the Wii brand (synonymous with casual gaming) and almost half of Nintendo's releases in the first year were casual centric mini-game collections on top of the big launch title being a New Super Mario Bros. game. Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Sing Party, Game & Wario, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, and part of Wii Sports Club were all released in the Wii U's first year.

The only other games Nintendo published were Mario 3D World (a 3D Mario tailored more to NSMB casuals), Wonderful 101, LEGO City, Pikmin 3, Zelda: WWHD, and Ninja Gaiden 3. Arguably the only game there expressly aimed at hardcore players is Ninja Gaiden 3 which a 6-month late port of a crappy PS3/360 game. The system is clearly aimed at the casual market + the kids/family demo. 

The new controller was also made for casuals too IMO, a giant touchscreen is for the casual demo, they just surrounded it with traditional controls as an olive branch to having a more balanced user base.

Saying the Wii U wasn't initially targeted at casuals is like saying a Twilight movie isn't aimed at the teenage girl market just because it has one or two action scenes in it.