By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Forbes: Nintendo Needs Exclusive First-Person Shooters Now That Call Of Duty Is Gone

Nintendo is going to have to start reaching into its pockets to fund new IPs and development studios if it wants to survive this generation.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
fleischr said:
Turok time!!

* cough* Disney * cough*

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Wouldn`t mind seeing Turok make a comeback. Really liked Turok 2.
Even if it`s just for Wii U`s VC, just give me Turok!

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

Why not just go back to what works? I've said it many times before.

The James Bond game license is available. Activision didn't renew their Bond deal because they have COD which sells much more. You're not going to create a character "better than Bond" anyway ... Hollywood has been trying for 50 years.

It's too bad NOA doesn't have any real power anymore because they probably would bite in this case.

I think GoldenEye on Wii sold pretty well too, but probably would've sold a lot more had it come earlier in the Wii lifecycle when the system was red hot. By 2010 people had been burned by too much mediocre/shovelware type software. That's why Red Steel and things like that sold very well early in the Wii lifecycle, but Red Steel 2, which was a much better game didn't sell nearly as well. Came too late. 

Plus GoldenEye on the Wii ... while a good game, it wasn't a *great* game like the N64 GoldenEye was. Give Nintendo that IP, let Retro develop it under Nintendo's guidance and you would probably see a legitimate great game (88+ Metacritic or higher). 

Genuinely don't think anyone will care about another 007 game, no matter how good it is. And Retro can't do everything. The need new western studios.

Bond is more popular now than he was when GoldenEye launched in 1997. And Bond will still be popular as a character property in 20 years when "Calladooty" has long since left the scene. 

There's no character "cooler" than Bond, he is the epitome of the alpha male. 

I think it would help Nintendo, also being able to use Daniel Craig in live action commercials would also bring a lot of class/prestige to their marketing. 

The game's haven't sold as well, but really no one's made a true AAA quality Bond game since Goldeneye on the N64. 

As long as you get to kill Sean Bean in the game, I'll buy it.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Bond is more popular now than he was when GoldenEye launched in 1997. And Bond will still be popular as a character property in 20 years when "Calladooty" has long since left the scene. 

I think it would help Nintendo, also being able to use Daniel Craig in live action commercials would also bring a lot of class/prestige to their marketing. 

The game's haven't sold as well, but really no one's made a true AAA quality Bond game since Goldeneye on the N64. 

Doesn't matter when it comes to the stigma of movie based games. And people have tried to make AAA quality bond games. None have sold. The character is popular, but the games don't have a shot.

Cobretti2 said:

or they could utilise Retro's talents better than games a B grade developer could make for Nintendo.

Retro is doing nothing a B grade dev could right now. They're fine with what they're doing now.

So basically a game with lots of violence? Shouldn't Devil's Third be that?

Metroid Prime, the best ever FPS i can think of. Still can't get why they won't do a sequel after Corruption's ending...

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

Doesn't matter when it comes to the stigma of movie based games. And people have tried to make AAA quality bond games. None have sold. The character is popular, but the games don't have a shot.

There is no stigma against good games period. 

Trying to make a AAA quality game and actually delivering one is a big, big (biiiiig) difference. 

Most of the Bond games since GoldenEye (N64) have been mediocre to above average. But not great. 

GoldenEye on Wii still did quite OK, I would say Resident Evil 4 and Monster Hunter Tri are the only "core" Wii third party titles that sold better and RE4 benefitted a lot from being released earlier in the Wii lifecycle while the iron was hot and even things like Red Steel were selling OK. By fall 2010, the Wii's brand was into decline. 

VGC has it at 1.79 million on the Wii, had it came out in fall 2008 or even 2009, I think it would've sold 2.5-3+ million quite easily.