By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Forbes: Nintendo Needs Exclusive First-Person Shooters Now That Call Of Duty Is Gone

Or how about buying the Medal of Honor IP from EA? EA does jack shit with it and is one of my favorite shooters (before EA f*d it)

Around the Network

Well they need diversity, who would say?

Why not just go back to what works? I've said it many times before.

The James Bond game license is available. Activision didn't renew their Bond deal because they have COD which sells much more. You're not going to create a character "better than Bond" anyway ... Hollywood has been trying for 50 years.

It's too bad NOA doesn't have any real power anymore because they probably would bite in this case.

I think GoldenEye on Wii sold pretty well too, but probably would've sold a lot more had it come earlier in the Wii lifecycle when the system was red hot. By 2010 people had been burned by too much mediocre/shovelware type software. That's why Red Steel and things like that sold very well early in the Wii lifecycle, but Red Steel 2, which was a much better game didn't sell nearly as well. Came too late. 

Plus GoldenEye on the Wii ... while a good game, it wasn't a *great* game like the N64 GoldenEye was. Give Nintendo that IP, let Retro develop it under Nintendo's guidance and you would probably see a legitimate great game (88+ Metacritic or higher). 

bigtakilla said:
spemanig said:
No. Nintendo needed exclusive FPSs before COD was gone. Now it just desperately needs them, along with other genres of IP not on Nintendo consoles.

Which genres?

Traditional fighting game.
Mature FPS/TPS with and without online multiplayer. 
Survival horror. - Fatal Frame covers that but it needs something that may actually appeal to the west
Stealth.
Traditional RTS.
Simulation Car racing game.
Cinematic action adventure.
Western Adventure games.
Western Open world/Sandbox.
Western style RPG with actual role playing.

PullusPardus said:

Forbes can fuck right off and let Nintendo do what they want to do.

I salute you.

Around the Network

Well, at least they're releasing a TPS in the likes of Splatoon next year.

Soundwave said:

Why not just go back to what works? I've said it many times before.

The James Bond game license is available. Activision didn't renew their Bond deal because they have COD which sells much more. You're not going to create a character "better than Bond" anyway ... Hollywood has been trying for 50 years.

It's too bad NOA doesn't have any real power anymore because they probably would bite in this case.

I think GoldenEye on Wii sold pretty well too, but probably would've sold a lot more had it come earlier in the Wii lifecycle when the system was red hot. By 2010 people had been burned by too much mediocre/shovelware type software. That's why Red Steel and things like that sold very well early in the Wii lifecycle, but Red Steel 2, which was a much better game didn't sell nearly as well. Came too late. 

Plus GoldenEye on the Wii ... while a good game, it wasn't a *great* game like the N64 GoldenEye was. Give Nintendo that IP, let Retro develop it under Nintendo's guidance and you would probably see a legitimate great game (88+ Metacritic or higher). 

Genuinely don't think anyone will care about another 007 game, no matter how good it is. And Retro can't do everything. The need new western studios.

guiduc said:
Well, at least they're releasing a TPS in the likes of Splatoon next year.

Not exactly the TPS people were asking for. Don't get me wrong; I'm intrigued, and I think making it was a fantastic move, but it being their only only shooter along side Devils Turd isn't. People appreciate Plant's vs. Zombies: Grden Warfare because it's a change of pace from the dozens of other like games on those platforms. The Wii U doesn't have those other like games.

PigPen said:
PullusPardus said:

Forbes can fuck right off and let Nintendo do what they want to do.

I salute you.

I'm just really tired of these journalists acting like they own the industry. 

Nintendo don't need to be Microsoft or Sony. Just bring Smash Bros & Bayonetta 2 for now and we can have this conversation later.