By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Forbes: Nintendo Needs Exclusive First-Person Shooters Now That Call Of Duty Is Gone

Teeqoz said:
MDX said:
Teeqoz said:
MDX said:

Nintendo is working on it.

I dont know why the article didnt point out Devil's Third.  But again, this is where third parties should step in.  This is where they can fill in the genres that Nintendo does not provide alot of content for.  But third parties are too interested in changing the game industry to make more money from it then actually making games.  A direction that Nintendo, and its gamers, does not want to go.

Ubisoft could have made ZombiU into a larger franchise with a better bigger sequel. They could have released a sequel to Red Steel 2.  That would still not make the WiiU the go to console for FPS's though; they would need alot more games for the genre.  

What I think Nintendo should do, if they want to strengthen their T/FPS library and atract the western market, is to procure Treyarch and/or High Voltage as second party studios.  And have them pump out serialized shooters:  Military, Sci-Fi and Fantasy.  

So Nintendo doesn't care about $? Lmao.

Nintendo should secure Treyarch as a 2nd party studio? How in the world would they do that?

What do you mean Nintendo does not like $ ?

Nintendo has said they focus on what they are good at.  They dont do military FPS shooters.  

And what do you mean how can they get Treyarch?   They buy them from Activision, like MS bought Rare.

Or they head-hunt key people from the team.

You said that Nintendo is more interested in just making games, while 3rd parties are interested in making money.

Nintendo would have to pay an unbelievable amount of money for Treyarch, and I'm talking about amounts in the multiple billion dollar levels.

head-hunting key people won't give them the brand recognition of Treyarch.

Billions?? No, but you are right that Nintendo would have to pay dearly and Activision would have an insanely high asking price. 

If Nintendo wanted a FPS studio they would need to start one from scratch and poach people from major studios. All of the major FPS studios are either tied down (Bungie, Visceral, Infinity Ward) or would rather not get acquired (Insomniac). 

Around the Network
IamAwsome said:
Teeqoz said:

You said that Nintendo is more interested in just making games, while 3rd parties are interested in making money.

Nintendo would have to pay an unbelievable amount of money for Treyarch, and I'm talking about amounts in the multiple billion dollar levels.

head-hunting key people won't give them the brand recognition of Treyarch.

Billions?? No, but you are right that Nintendo would have to pay dearly and Activision would have an insanely high asking price. 

If Nintendo wanted a FPS studio they would need to start one from scratch and poach people from major studios. All of the major FPS studios are either tied down (Bungie, Visceral, Infinity Ward) or would rather not get acquired (Insomniac). 

Well, how much do you think then? Remember that Destinys budget is 500 million, and that's just one game. Buying one of activisions best devs (IMO) would cost a crap ton of cash (And would probably drain Treyarch of most of their talent as well, as I suspect that the high profile folks would leave)

I agree on this point, but would like to point out that Insomniac isn't a major FPS studio. They've made three FPS games that recieved great praise, but only lukewarm sales.

I personally haven't cared about FPS games since I was a teenager. I grew out of that sort of stuff a long time ago. So it won't make a difference to me. I do understand that there are a lot of teenaged boys that they're missing by not having games like that.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Oh sure, because Call of Duty was doing such a great job bringing in shooter fans to the Wii U.

SamuraiShampoo said:
Oh sure, because Call of Duty was doing such a great job bringing in shooter fans to the Wii U.

There were better versions on other consoles. Multiplats are not known for better support on Ns consoles.

Making Metroid series big should've been one of Nintendo's priority when launching WiiU.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
irstupid said:

Oh sorry, didn't realize the N64 was flying off the shelves and breaking records.

In the U.S. it was, at least for a while. According to the NPD, it its first 15 months it sold 6,460,000 units. This makes it the third-fastest-selling console ever in the U.S. The PS2 sold 7.26M in its first 15 months, while the Wii sold about 7.65M in its first 15 months. Nothing else came close to these three until the PS4, which will almost certainly clear 6 million LTD by the end of this year. The N64 actually almost caught up with the PS1 despite being released a year later, but the N64 lost steam largely due to losing Final Fantasy, with FFVII blowing the door off the PS1. The PS1 went from having sold only 2.59 million by the end of 1996 to 7.67 million by the end. That means it sold almost twice as many units in 1997 as it did in 1995 and 1996 combined, thus making it the biggest comeback ever. Had Nintendo gone with a CD format for the N64, they would have likely held on to Final Fantasy and the PS1 would likely have completely stalled in the U.S. and the N64 would have sold a lot more than it did.

Thanks for the stats, it's good to hear from someone who actually knows what it was like back then ... Nintendo was incredibly stupid to stick with cartridges, should have at least nixed th 64DD for a CD-drive add-on. N64 was a very successful platform, Nintendo just starved it to death with lack of software and a lot of people had no choice but to have to buy a Playstation as well. 

I have zero doubt in my mind it could have outsold the SNES and maybe even the NES if it had more games. 

tuscaniman99 said:
There is nothing Nintendo can do to get the hardcore gamer back. Creating an exclusive FPS would be a waste. Nobody in their right mind is going to leave Xbox or Playstation to play a shooter on Nintendo. Nintendo will have to find a way to win the casual back like the Wii or accept selling 20 million consoles a generation.

Hardcore gamer? You think CoD sell 20M a year for hardcore gamers?

FPS is one of the most casual genres. The multiplayer is extremely mindless and convenient. 

If anything this would be a small step towards "hardcore" and a good step towards casuals. No reason not to do it.

vkaraujo said:
tuscaniman99 said:
There is nothing Nintendo can do to get the hardcore gamer back. Creating an exclusive FPS would be a waste. Nobody in their right mind is going to leave Xbox or Playstation to play a shooter on Nintendo. Nintendo will have to find a way to win the casual back like the Wii or accept selling 20 million consoles a generation.

Hardcore gamer? You think CoD sell 20M a year for hardcore gamers?

FPS is one of the most casual genres. The multiplayer is extremely mindless and convenient. 

If anything this would be a small step towards "hardcore" and a good step towards casuals. No reason not to do it.

Then let me rephrase my comment. If Nintendo wants to sell a lot of consoles they will have to win back the Wii gamer. The people who bought Wii's solely for WiiSports and maybe Mario Kart. They won't be converting any Playstation or Xbox gamers.

Ill take Splatoon over any of those FPS games we have now...however I feel like a good Metroid game would help, heck or revive Golden Eye

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

SamuraiShampoo said:

You seem to have missed the whole exclusive comment.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.