By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Jim Ryan interview: 'We don't need to buy exclusivity'

BMaker11 said:
walsufnir said:
BMaker11 said:

All it said was "60 minutes of exclusive gameplay only on PS4". If this game was a PS4 exclusive (or was meant to make people think that), that wouldn't be 60 minutes of exclusive gameplay....it'd just be "gameplay" since no other versions would be out to compare it to what's "exclusive to PS4".

That little blip at the end implies other versions exist, but only on PS4 do you get the bonus content.

There is no implying when you have a shot like this:

Nobody would think this is also on another system. People would think PS4 exclusive content, otherwise PS3 version.

Not naming the existence for other game systems makes it appear as PS exclusive to most people out there.

Honestly, I don't think it matters if nobody would think it was also on another system. You may say that it's deceiving because it "claims exclusivity by omission of other versions"....but the advert never at any time says "this game is only on PS4". All it really says is that this is a game you can play on PS4 and the PS4 has exclusive content.

In an age where 95% of games are multiplatform, is there no longer any wonder to a game being on multiple systems just because only one console is mentioned at the end of an ad? If people saw this ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6n5lDaZAMk, would they think it wasn't on any consoles, since none were mentioned? Or maybe they'll think it's exclusive to XBone because of this: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7rVF/gamestop-xbox-one-madden-nfl-15-bundle-future-deluxe-stadium or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l97GSO_0hrE with no mention of other consoles??

I thought we won't agree on this but yes, again: If you intentionally leave out other platforms a game will be on then you imply it is not on other platforms.

You don't see this? Other opinion? Ok but to me this is deceiving the customers.

This is almost the same reason as people think it is lying if you don't say the whole truth. You can agree it's lying or you don't, it won't change other people's opinion.

You are trying to paint a picture of an educated and informed customer where this only rarely is true. We are talking about millions of customers here and we are the minority because it is our passion.

And yes, to me it doesn't care who tries to deceive people. It *is* bad to me.

Around the Network
Adameh said:
#ShotsFired

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

VanceIX said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
VanceIX said:

Financial support.

That is all.

And good someone did that, cause these guys had their studio floded( i think this is the word xD ) and a lot of their work was lost, sony might helped them a bit with money, some people say sony its trying to buy their studio but they dont want.

I don't deny that it was a good thing, I'm happy that Sony stepped in to help them make the game, it's easily my most-hyped game for next year.

But financial support goes hand-in-hand with moneyhatting. You could make the case that "financial support" was what Microsoft gave to Square Enix with Tomb Raider, by helping them with the development, optimization, and advertising of the game. 

If, and a big if (there's no way to truly prove it) Sony demanded that the PS4 version of No Man's Sky be a timed exclusive in exchange for said financial support, it would be an example of moneyhatting.

Wait a minute, if it was simply financial support, how did they Sony beat Microsoft? Sure you can always speculate moneyhatting, but honestly its more of a stretch in this case. Not to mention, Sony has no publishing restrictions for games they do not publish but have on their platform.

There is no reason for No Man's Sky to be first on PS4 simply by money alone, or even money at all. If Hello games is delaying the other releases of No Man's Sky, it cannot because they are contractually obligated by money.

Sony doesn't buy timed exclusivity of a game to keep it off another platform, they just buy timed exclusive dlc, or exclusive content of a game because they have to compete with MS, else people will say shit like "Oh Sony isn't doing anything", like with the updates, "MS is buying all this exclusive content and Sony is just sitting on 10 million consoles" or whatever. Its silly, but this is the state of affairs right now.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

BMaker11 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Ninsect said:

I don't know...Jim Ryan said they didn't need to buy exclusivity so it's your call

Err... no, he said "probably not". And then went on to talk about how they approach indie game developers and can provide financial support. aka a moneyhat. Maybe you didn't read the whole interview? Idk.

or aka helping fund the game's development? You know....like the whole situation of "if Microsoft didn't come in an help Respawn, Titanfall wouldn't exist" or "if Nintendo didn't help Platinum, Bayonetta 2 wouldn't exist"?

Maybe?? Just maybe??

It makes no sense to say "probably not" then say "yea we do" 2 seconds later.

I read that entire interview, and what I got from it was that in terms of exclusivity, when it came to AAA games, it was "partnerships that worked" (ala Destiny DLC and marketing). Those "partnerships" I believe are moneyhats...but they're for DLC and stuff. Not the entire game. And for indies, it was "we make a platform friendly for indies" with no "silly rules", providing financial support (which I believe means helping with development costs, which MS fans have no problems with via Titanfall), or "having someone on stage at E3"...the end result of which ends with PS exclusivity because the indie devs just find it more appealing to work with PS4.

But no...let's just keep bashing them by saying that he said the exact opposite of the sensationalist clickbait article title. Even though he didn't, and even that "probably not" was about outright exclusivity, which was the belief at the time of the interview because of the Tomb Raider announcement

I stopped reading after the line about Titanfall and Bayonetta 2, but yes, exactly like those. Which according to the VGC community, are moneyhats. 1+1=2.

LudicrousSpeed said:

I stopped reading after the line about Titanfall and Bayonetta 2, but yes, exactly like those. Which according to the VGC community, are moneyhats. 1+1=2.

Well, if that's what the VGC community believes, then I'll be an outlier and say that that's wrong. Funding a project is different from paying to make sure it doesn't show up elsewhere. The former makes sure the game happens; the latter makes sure the game that's already gonna happen only happens for you.

You can't justifiably call it a "moneyhat" when you invest in the project because you like the game's premise/vision/what have you, and that money is what allows the game to develop. Exclusivity is the end result because, at the same time, they're businesses, and they're not going to, essentially, pay for their competition's benefit.

I don't care if a game is 3rd party, if your money makes the game exist, it should be treated the same way we treat first party. Because, obviously, without that money, nobody would be playing it as the game would be vaporware

Around the Network

Nevermind

The Fury said:
HBninjaX said:
Hahahahahaha!

Bloodborne says hi

Didn't read the entire thread at all I see?

Bloodborne is equivilent of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_(art)

Bloodborne is exclusive title to Sony because they know the Souls series has a cult following and people will buy Playstation 4s just to play this title.  So when Mr. Jim Ryan claims that Sony doesn't need to buy exclusivity that comes with a HUGE ASTERISK.  You can spin it nany way you want...

Read up on Demon's Souls and how Sony was originally dismissive of the game until it became a success.  Now Sony is back with hat in hand asking From to make an exclusive spiritual successor

More like they can't afford to buy exclusivity anymore.

Soundwave said:
More like they can't afford to buy exclusivity anymore.

They never did, even when they had a ton of money, and they don't need to either.

HBninjaX said:
The Fury said:
HBninjaX said:
Hahahahahaha!

Bloodborne says hi

Didn't read the entire thread at all I see?

Bloodborne is equivilent of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_(art)

Bloodborne is exclusive title to Sony because they know the Souls series has a cult following and people will buy Playstation 4s just to play this title.  So when Mr. Jim Ryan claims that Sony doesn't need to buy exclusivity that comes with a HUGE ASTERISK.  You can spin it nany way you want...

Read up on Demon's Souls and how Sony was originally dismissive of the game until it became a success.  Now Sony is back with hat in hand asking From to make an exclusive spiritual successor

dismissive enough to have SCEJ help develop the game and for SCE to publish it in Japan?

Or dismissive because the build that Yoshida played was nothing like the final game and was extremely buggy?