By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Jim Ryan interview: 'We don't need to buy exclusivity'

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
VanceIX said:

Financial support.

That is all.

And good someone did that, cause these guys had their studio floded( i think this is the word xD ) and a lot of their work was lost, sony might helped them a bit with money, some people say sony its trying to buy their studio but they dont want.

I don't deny that it was a good thing, I'm happy that Sony stepped in to help them make the game, it's easily my most-hyped game for next year.

But financial support goes hand-in-hand with moneyhatting. You could make the case that "financial support" was what Microsoft gave to Square Enix with Tomb Raider, by helping them with the development, optimization, and advertising of the game. 

If, and a big if (there's no way to truly prove it) Sony demanded that the PS4 version of No Man's Sky be a timed exclusive in exchange for said financial support, it would be an example of moneyhatting.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

Right, Sony has more games which they can remaster ;)

Ninsect said:

I don't know...Jim Ryan said they didn't need to buy exclusivity so it's your call

Err... no, he said "probably not". And then went on to talk about how they approach indie game developers and can provide financial support. aka a moneyhat. Maybe you didn't read the whole interview? Idk.

Aura7541 said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

No, Sony did buy exclusitivy.

They could have put a (weaker) version on the N64 if they wanted to.

September 18, 1997: http://www.tombnews.com/news/1997/09/1801/

"Sony Computer Entertainment America Signs Exclusive Deal with Eidos for Tomb Raider Franchise; Lara Croft Videogames to Be Exclusive to the PlayStation for Game Consoles"

Sony did the EXACT same thing in the 90s that MS did today. There is nothing wrong with it.

Signing a deal =/= Paying wads of cash. Sony had a much better relationship with devs at that time, especially when the PS1 was developer friendly.

MS, on the other hand, threw wads of cash just so RoTR won't come out on the PS4. Just because the situations look similar on the surface, doesn't mean that at the core, they're the same. MS was obviously threatened by 1.) the PS4's growing userbase and 2.) Uncharted 4. Sony was not threatened by either the Saturn or N64 because they weren't doing so well. Huge difference.

And MS actually shot themselves on the foot because they inadvertently increased potential Uncharted 4 sales now RoTR no longer directly competes with it.

True. Sony and Eidos signed a deal back then cause they were BFFs, on the other hand Microsoft and Square Enix signed a deal cause MS is paying them off. How silly was I?

And in 1997 even though it was clear Sony was going to win the generation Sony still needed to completely destroy the N64 and Saturn.

PwerlvlAmy said:
''We don't buy exclusivity ''

they just did this with Dreamfall Chapters though. It was scheduled for Wii U and PC and then now its console exclusive to PS4 lol

Sony is going to moneyhat an indie game that's going to be released on PC first, in order to keep it off a platform that is absolutely no threat to PS4?

At least think a little bit before you post these accusations. The developers shifted to PS4 for the simple fact that they will get better exposure to a much much bigger audience. And their hope is to bring it at least to Xbox in future too.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
prinz_valium said:
so they dont buy exclusive destiny stuff and Marketing?

They do but are u compraing exclusive DLC to Exclusive full AAA game? really?

Add me if u want :)

VOM

LudicrousSpeed said:
Ninsect said:

I don't know...Jim Ryan said they didn't need to buy exclusivity so it's your call

Err... no, he said "probably not". And then went on to talk about how they approach indie game developers and can provide financial support. aka a moneyhat. Maybe you didn't read the whole interview? Idk.

or aka helping fund the game's development? You know....like the whole situation of "if Microsoft didn't come in an help Respawn, Titanfall wouldn't exist" or "if Nintendo didn't help Platinum, Bayonetta 2 wouldn't exist"?

Maybe?? Just maybe??

It makes no sense to say "probably not" then say "yea we do" 2 seconds later.

I read that entire interview, and what I got from it was that in terms of exclusivity, when it came to AAA games, it was "partnerships that worked" (ala Destiny DLC and marketing). Those "partnerships" I believe are moneyhats...but they're for DLC and stuff. Not the entire game. And for indies, it was "we make a platform friendly for indies" with no "silly rules", providing financial support (which I believe means helping with development costs, which MS fans have no problems with via Titanfall), or "having someone on stage at E3"...the end result of which ends with PS exclusivity because the indie devs just find it more appealing to work with PS4.

But no...let's just keep bashing them by saying that he said the exact opposite of the sensationalist clickbait article title. Even though he didn't, and even that "probably not" was about outright exclusivity, which was the belief at the time of the interview because of the Tomb Raider announcement

People really do read too much into things, I mean anyone with a lick of sense can see the Dreamfall thing was their choice not from money from Sony (seriously look at how they had to get funding to make the game to release it on PC to begin with).

What Sony is talking about is long term future relationships with people. They can throw money around all they want (they can't they are broke) but it won't gain you a good relationship with the studio or individuals but talk to them, show interest in what they are developing, support them. Then in the future, when they are a big studio, they might favour you better because of your involvement and help in those early years.

Crystal Dynamics forgot that but then they weren't the ones that actually made Tomb Raider successful, bet you Core Design wouldn't have been so easy to drop a PC version if they were making it.

Hmm, pie.

VanceIX said:
Ninsect said:
VanceIX said:
So how about GTA III/SA/VC, or No Man's Sky?

There's no way to prove that Sony bought the devs out, but seeing as both were/are timed exclusives...

No Man's Sky isn't necessarily "timed". It's just coming to PS4 first

It seems like Sony have just been very helpful to Hello games: "It can take the form of financial support, it can take the form of having Sean Murray from Hello Games on the stage at E3, there are many ways to do it and we try not to be prescriptive and say "this is the template you have to follow, this is the path." "

Financial support.

That is all.

Yeah, and then he mentions Hello Games separately. You know Hello Games makes No Man's Sky, right

The One and Only

VizionEck.com