By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Destiny really have any competition for GOTY?

Keegs79 said:
jonathanalis said:
does Smash has any competition for GOTY?

Smash won't win GoTY. When was the last time a fighting game ever has?

Didnt it (SSBB) almost win in 2008? I think Uncharted  was the only thing standing in its way.

Genre shouldnt matter, SSB is definitely looking to be one of the best period :)

Around the Network
Keegs79 said:
jonathanalis said:
does Smash has any competition for GOTY?

Smash won't win GoTY. When was the last time a fighting game ever has?

Out of curiosity I looked this up:

Way of the Exploding Fist (1985)
Mike Tyson's Punch Out (1987)
Street Fighter II+Turbo (1991/1992)
Mortal Kombat (1993)
Super Smash Bros (1999)
Soulcaliber (1999)
Super Smash Bros Melee (2001) - Reader Vote
Super Smash Bros Brawl (2008) - Reader Vote

Street Fighter 2 and Soulcaliber won quite a few, and it seems that Smash has a greater shot than most fighting games, although they are more popular in fan votes. Interesting I suppose...

Destiny is just another AAA hyped game by 12 years old who started gaming with PS2.

Even Mario Kart deserves more a GOTY than Destiny.

There are plenty of (potential) candidates:

Dragon Age Inquisition, AC: Unity, Far Cry 4, Mario Kart 8, Wolfenstein, inFamous SS

Mystro-Sama said:

Not too long ago were people hyped for their most anticipated games of this year. But little by little they all seem to have been delayed til next year leaving 2014 one of the driest years in gaming. 

Witcher 3 - Delayed

Arkham Knight - Delayed

Evolve - Delayed

Xenoblade X - Delayed

Even Dragon Age got pushed back but at least it's still in 2014. Does this really leave Destiny with any competition? Looks like they'll get GOTY by default.

Far Cry, Sunset, and LBP3 all say hi!

Around the Network

Plenty of games will win on different sites.
Destiny will be just like GTA V and be deep swallowed by the VGA's/VGX's, if this is what you're looking for of course.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Ori And The Blind Forest

I'd say biggest contenders are probably gonna be Destiny (maybe), SSBU, MK8, Dark souls 2, LBP3, far cry 4 (maybe again), and maybe borderland the presequel. Those are my best guesses for what will be nominated at least. Sunset overdrive and infamous second son I could possibly see getting nominated as well. We'll see though.

SSB will likely be great but it would have to be extremely creative to earn game of the year from most sites, especially when this version is more bare bones compared to the last title without the inclusion of that adventure like mode. As for others winning game of the year awards. I guess it makes sense at least for Mortal Kombat and Punch Out winning. I also wonder who was the runner-ups. Im not going to search myself. Right now that most people who seemed to played Destiny are satisfied. It met their expectations and those expecations were pretty very high. Dragon Age and Far Cry look incredible and likely will likely easily exceed the prior titles simply because of new hardware. These games can take advantage of it much more than a fighting game can.

Probable contenders:

- Destiny
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- Bayonetta 2
- Mario Kart 8
- Shovel Knight
- Dark Souls 2
- Far Cry 4
- LittleBigPlanet 3
- The Evil Within
- Dragon Age Inquisition

I don't think I would guess anything else to be honest. Maybe another indie title might pop up, but I wouldn't count on it.

NNID: TheCCluc