By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Destiny really have any competition for GOTY?

crissindahouse said:

First of all we have to see how Destiny will score. It can get great scores but also only average ones if it won't deliver what editors hope for and this is really hard to tell after the beta. With average I mean many scores in the range of a 7 and 8, not around a 5

Agreed. I think we're overextending ourselves by crowning Destiny a month before release.

Remember Titanfall? It was billed as the Second Coming, and received an 86 on Metacritic. Destiny is still something of a mystery. It might not be the masterwork so many want it to be.

Also, how do we judge "GOTY"? So many publications and circles hand out the award. Is it just the game that wins the plurality of awards across the industry?

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:

Really? You're going to say it's story is bad just from the beta? I also think Destiny offers a very different experience from your typical FPS, most FPS don't have this many RPG elements, hell I've played tons of FPS and I've never seen one with any RPG elements. Also can you really say Destiny is similar to any game? I don't see any game offering you the ability to explore the moon, venus, etc. I wasn't planning on buying Destiny on launch but once I saw the RPG elements, loot and customization of the items I pre-ordered. You could say it's very much like Borderlands but just adding something generic like a skill tree doesn't make a RPG. 

All I'm saying is there is no way in hell a fighting game will get GOTY, never going to happen.  I'm also not saying that Destiny will win GOTY but it has a good chance, there aren't any big games this year. Dragon Age, I'm sure people won't like it for the hand carrying. 

It certainly doesn't seem to be aiming for emotional impact or anything revolutionary in the story department. The story seems like some pretty standard sci-fi stuff... Certainly nothing on the level of TLOU or The Walking Dead (telltale).

Additionally, I'd like for you to explain how the RPG elements are so much better and more in depth than something like Borderlands. Like you said, adding a generic skill tree doesn't make an RPG and thats pretty much what Destiny did. I'd argue that Borderlands did it in a much more interesting way actually...

"I don't see any game offering you the ability to explore the moon, venus, etc." - Mass Effect offered infinitely more exploration than Destiny, many RPGs have large and varied worlds, Metroid Prime 3 offered ~7 planets to explore. Destiny offers 7 areas to explore, while Borderlands 1 offers 9 and Borderlands 2 offers 15... These aren't revolutionary features, they are just pieces of a game. You have no basis behind your argument if all you are saying is "this piece of a game is more important than a piece of a fighting game because the fighting game is a fighting game."

Finally, there are hundreds of websites that give out GOTY awards...Would you honestly be surprised if Smash picked a few up?

I consider Titanfall multiplayer to be far superior to what I saw in Destiny. Vastly more fun too.

But Titanfall is not Game of the Year material. Destiny is but I doubt it wins goty.

I would like to see Child of Light as a nominee... I think it was a very good game.
No one else think this way?

As for Destiny, i can't say atm. Let's see the game first, but i am almost sure we will not have a game dominating all GOTYs. The results are going to be splitted between 3 or more games.

Probably going to be Last of Us or GTA5 again... been a pretty shit year for games. I'm only really looking forward to Master Chief Collection

Around the Network

Who's GOTY?

I remember when IGN gave the best RPG to Dragon Age over Demon's Souls. I felt that was ridiculous considered the amazing innovations in Demon's Souls. I have a lot of respect for Gamespot giving the game of the year to Demon's Souls that year.

As for now? I think Dragon Age Inquisition might take Dark Souls 2 and that is me as a rapid Demon's Souls fan. I think that because its not creative like the original which I felt made it earn it. I think in the end Destiny is going to end up winning the best game of the year from most sites. Dragon Age Inquisition might be big but so well Far Cry 4 as a runner-up.

for me infamous will be goty.

does Smash has any competition for GOTY?

jonathanalis said:
does Smash has any competition for GOTY?

Smash won't win GoTY. When was the last time a fighting game ever has?