By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Former Nintendo Indie boss says "The name Wii U is abysmal"

poklane said:
Agreed. I remember when the Wii U was announced, there were quite a lot of people who thought the gamepad was an accessory for the Wii.

There are still many people who don't even know what it is.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Hes right though. Great system with great games,but a terrible name

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

The name is almost as bad as the XB1. They should've called it the Wii2.

GoldenTriforce said:
markodeniro said:
Couldn't they just change the name to Wii Ultra

WHY ARE PEOPLE STICKING WITH THIS. The issue is and has always been the Wii, not the U.

U Ultra?

The entire 'Wii' name should have been dropped all together. When I hear it I automatically think 'casual'. Though that's just one of it's problems, another being the shitty marketing. I hadn't even heard of it until 5 months after it came out.

Around the Network

I agree but i got used to it eventually. Xbox One as a name isn't much better to be honest.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

He's right in a way, it was a bad choice in the begining but now people are starting to know the name.

I didn't get a Wii U at first because i thought it was a new Wii "U Draw by THQ. A year later and i realise the Wii U is a new console i bought one straight away regardless of the name

The name isn't the best ever. Something like Wii2 or WiiTwo or WiiToo would have been better. Emphasize the fact that it is the successor more. But to say the name is the biggest problem is nuts. To think the name "...cut sales in half..." is just wrong.

Nintendo just did a poor job of marketing it, showing the benefits of the new controller, and creating a killer app for the new controller.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

At least they could name simply "U", not Wii U, just U.

Yeah I think anything with the name "Wii" was pretty much set to fail. Super Wii, Wii 2, whatever, they are better names than Wii U, but it's not like Wii U would suddenly start selling double the units with a name change.

"Wii" had lost most of its brand luster by the end of 2010 really, it had become synonymous with shovelware + an outdated craze that had fizzled out. The excitement and optimism of the early Wii day (imagine a lightsaber game with this controller! lol) had long since faded into either annoyance/mild hostility from core gamers or indifference from "blue ocean" consumers jumping on the last Apple bandwagon leaving town.