By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Former Nintendo Indie boss says "The name Wii U is abysmal"

Its probably the worst name ever for a console, yes.

Around the Network

The name is terrible... To this day I know a ton of people (who own a Wii, presumably part of the audience the Wii U was going for, hence the name) who still believe the Wii U is a tablet add-on like the U-Draw tablet for the Wii... Who ever thought the Wii U was a good name when making it is a fucking idiot. That being said, Nintendo didnt even try that hard to change that perception to the casual audience; there's only 1 Wii U commercial Ive seen (Tropical Freeze I think) where a kid says the Wii U is a new system :p

Of course it is, the Wii had "filthy casual" smeared all over it, continuing the legacy with the name was not a good idea.

It's sad because the Wii U is almost the opposite of the Wii. The Wii had tons of crappy, casual party games from third parties, the Wii U just has a lot of insanely good first party titles from Nintendo meant to appease the hardcore Nintendo gamer.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

While the name is terrible, it isn't the Wii U's only problem as many other have stated.

Eh...I'm not sure I really agree with him. Xbox One and PS4 aren't really creative either. I wish the companies would come up with entirely new names for each console.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network

I agree, it's even worse than "ps vita" and "xbox one".

Would have preferred then going back to calling it Entertainment system.

Nintendo U entertaiment system, NUES.

But name is mere one of over dozen big issues.

Couldn't they just change the name to Wii Ultra

daredevil.shark said:

Gamepad made the system expensive. Name is terrible. Third party games are gone. And marketing was absent. Everything happened with Wii U.

Despite this ... Wii U sales are better than Xbox One sales. But Xbox One is a console with a cool name, many Third Party games and big marketing budget.

By the way: I love the gamepad. Its one of the things I never thought I need until I tried it.

KylieDog said:
There is lots wrong with Wii U. Name, price, lack of games, lack of advertising, lack of general appeal.

No and yes. Name: Yes, Price: ....maybe Lack of games Definete no, Lack of advertising: Yes... last year, no  this year, Lack of general appel: while that is opinion based I am going to say generally, no.