By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Safe To Say 3rd Party Support From Wii U Is Pretty Much Gone?

NOA better give us Fatal Frame in the US. There's no excuse to deny us any games any more with there being virtually nill third party support.'

Around the Network

It was safe to say it before this game was even announced. Nintendo is all on their own.

This gen, yeah. Nintendo dropped the ball hard on this one.

Agreed. It had so much potential though. But Nintendo was too proud for their own welfare.

I think literally there may be only 20 games or so released at retail for the Wii U next year. 

Mario Maker, Kirby, Yoshi Wooly World, Splatoon, Star Fox U, Devil's Third, Xenoblade X, Fatal Frame V (c'mon), Zelda U, SMT x Fire Emblem (not even sure if this will make it), Mario Party 10 ... that's 11. 

Just Dance 2016, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, LEGO Whatever (x2-3) that's 5-6 more ... now we're up to 16-17 releases. 

Hahaha, this is really depressing. Is that Project: Cars still happening? I'm really thinking it will get cancelled quietly. 

The lowest (full) year for the N64 (outside of 2001 when it was replaced by GCN) was 34 games for North America in 1997 I believe. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

With Capcom refusing to even give the Wii U a port of RE REmake (a game that debuted exclusively on the GameCube in 2002) while every other major console platform gets it ... it signals kind of a new rock bottom for Nintendo consoles.

To be fair, Resident Evil REmake was released on Wii in 2009. It's possible that Capcom aren't releasing it on Wii U for that reason - otherwise, it would have been on Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U. Maybe they figure it's overkill.

Besides which, Capcom wasn't exactly putting a lot out on Wii U to begin with. Their entire Wii U lineup consists of Resident Evil: Revelations (a HD port of a 3DS game), Monster Hunter 3 variants (ports of a Wii/3DS title), and Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara on the eShop.

Both Activision and Ubisoft appear to be continuing to support the Wii U (in the case of Ubisoft, apparently there are titles they have made for Wii U that they're holding off on releasing until Wii U has sold more... which suggests that they expect it to sell better). Warner Bros, Disney, Bandai Namco, Tecmo Koei, and Sega also appear to be continuing support. And then there's all the indie support.

It's true, it's the worst third party support the system has had... but it's a bit of an exaggeration to say it's "pretty much gone". Especially considering that most of the third party support for the Wii consisted of shovelware (there were certainly gems amongst the third-party titles released, of course). What has mostly happened is that third parties have shifted their shovelware to mobile.

It's weird though, if the RE:REmaster won't come to the WiiU, because usually Resident Evil games fit well with the Nintendo audience and they actually sell pretty decent. Capcom, it doesn't make sense, why?

S.Peelman said:
It's weird though, if the RE:REmaster won't come to the WiiU, because usually Resident Evil games fit well with the Nintendo audience and they actually sell pretty decent. Capcom, why?

My guess is Capcom is yanking all support from Wii U. No Monster Hunter 4 HD either (upport of the 3DS game) when Monster Hunter 3 got HD treatment also kinda hints at this. 

I think Revelations was like their Wii U swan song. Probably didn't sell what they wanted it to, hence no REMake for Wii U. 

Soundwave said:
S.Peelman said:
It's weird though, if the RE:REmaster won't come to the WiiU, because usually Resident Evil games fit well with the Nintendo audience and they actually sell pretty decent. Capcom, why?

My guess is Capcom is yanking all support from Wii U. No Monster Hunter 4 HD either (upport of the 3DS game) when Monster Hunter 3 got HD treatment also kinda hints at this. 

I think Revelations was like their Wii U swan song. Probably didn't sell what they wanted it to, hence no REMake for Wii U. 

I remember Capcom saying that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the WiiU was a smash hit, so no Monster Hunter 4 HD would be even worse than no REmake for WiiU! :-/

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Yep. It's gone. And after Nintendo made quite a song and dance back in 2011 too...