By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY Q1 FY 2014 results: 3.5m PS3+PS4, 0.75m PSP+PSV+PSVTV. $265m net profit.

offensive_nickname said:
AnthonyW86 said:
kowenicki said:

3.5m for PS3 + PS4 (1.1m from last year?) - annual expectation remains at 17.0m

I'm guessing at least 2.7m for PS4.

0.75m for PSP + PSV + PSVTV 0.75m - annual expectation remains at 3.5m

But doesn't that mean that PS4 is undertracked big time? VGC has PS4 has at about 1.6 million sold from end of March till the end of June. That's more than 1 million units of difference, sure it's shipped vs sold but that difference looks way to big to me.

~1 million on shelfs (and on transport ways) for 58 different countrys is not that much ;)

It's not the total difference between shipped in sold, just in one quarter. There was already stock in most store before the end of March, so that means that the stock would have expanded by another 1 million units. That's impossible.

Around the Network

Weazel back already?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Nice job Sony! Shipments on the PS3/PS4 looking good.

Not bad for PS3+PS4; sadly expected for PSV+PSP.

Would be nice if they cut the crap and just split them up though, rather than having to second guess. If I had to guess though?

2.6mil PS4

0.9mil PS3

0.45mil PSV

0.2mil PSP

0.1mil PSTV

Just a guess. Strong quarter for PS4 though, no matter how you slice it. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Fusioncode said:
Weazel back already?

Weazel never left though...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

The good news is that they made a profit and the PS3/PS4 shipments were high. Plus the the games division is profitable too.
Unfortunately the prospects for everything else is not very good.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

kowenicki said:
VXIII said:
kowenicki said:
VXIII said:
kowenicki said:
VXIII said:
OttoniBastos said
said

and that launched in this quarter didnt it?... so if they didnt hit the target in this quarter then they are in trouble for the rest of the year.

Yes, it was released in May ( was supposed to release in April first), and agreed. 

9.4m.

Actually shipped less YOY.

Forecast has been reduced to 43m from 50m

I still have no idea why they think they can be competitive in mobiles and they still cant make a profit in that segment.

That's bad, a14% decrease. Their mid-range smartphones are selling way below expectations unfortunately. They are reconsidering their plans and have also reduced R&D expenses. They definitely should focus on less models and more on profitability. They might as well exit the mid range market all together.

“In July Sony began a review of its Mid-Range Plan (“MRP”) for the Mobile Communications business. This process is currently on-going, and Sony will continue to evaluate the financial and other consequences of changes, if any, in the MRP or strategic alternatives within the Mobile Communications business, as well as its financial performance. It is possible that the above-described circumstances might result in an impairment charge against various assets, including goodwill, in that reporting segment.”

Conegamer said:

Not bad for PS3+PS4; sadly expected for PSV+PSP.

Would be nice if they cut the crap and just split them up though, rather than having to second guess. If I had to guess though?

2.6mil PS4

0.9mil PS3

0.45mil PSV

0.2mil PSP

0.1mil PSTV

Just a guess. Strong quarter for PS4 though, no matter how you slice it. 

I don't think 0.9 million PS3 shipment is anywhere near true. PS3 shipment was 1.1 milion this quarter last year. You are saying PS3 sales decreased by about 18% even though in every NPD report the decrease was about 60-65%. Even if we assume the numbers stayed the same YOY everywhere else, the drop would be bigger. I'd say 750k tops and that is being generous.

kowenicki said:

Not much.  And it isnt impossible, its just unlikely.

Sold through at 7th April was 7m.  Shipped end of March was just over 7m.  There was very very little supply.

Buy that would mean that it's very close to 10 million shipped by now right? Guess we will get an announcement soon then.

Even crazier this means that ps4 is still in front of the Wii, witch was at 9.2 million shipped at the end of June 2007. That means PS4 is still the fastest selling console so far even with lackluster sales in Japan!

Tamron said:
kowenicki said:

This will be helped by decent TV sales from the World Cup promos (I even bought a Sony TV!).

This thread has reached it's high point :P

But really, Sony tv's are great, the only thing that isn't great about them (usually) is the price, since the competition make theirs elsewhere and can undercut them massively.

I thought Sony stopped manufacturing the panels a while back? As far as I know a Sony TV is just someone elses rebadged in a shinier case now.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.