By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY Q1 FY 2014 results: 3.5m PS3+PS4, 0.75m PSP+PSV+PSVTV. $265m net profit.

kitler53 said:

probably a reasonable split given that ps3 was 1.1M last year,.. i believe.  vgc for the week ending july 5th was at 8.5M and 2.6M + the previous 7M is 9.6M shipped.  i'd wager vgc is slightly undertracking ps4 right now.  maybe by about 100-300k depending on how reasonable that 0.9M assumption for ps3 is.

When PS3 is down 60% YOY it's not reasonable. More like 700k max.

Around the Network
OttoniBastos said:
So is this good news? bad news? Brighter or darker future?

Most divisions including gaming division are doing good. The loss for the financial year is Inevitable due to the undergoing major changes in the campany. They "should" be in a good position starting next financial year " starts April 2015". Only one more year of doom and gloom :p

So a few more quick hits from me.

1. Like it or not PS+ being mandatory is a very smart business move and will help drive profitability.

2. I agree with Kowen that Sony needs to continue to slim down its number of divisions

3. Sony needs to work a deal with Marvel to get Spidey in Avengers. The profit margin would be enormous with next to nothing in costs for Sony. Amazing Spider Man 2 underperformed on expectations and Amazing Spider Man 3 has been delayed. Its seriously a no brainer and would give them some much needed cash.

phaedruss said:
kitler53 said:

probably a reasonable split given that ps3 was 1.1M last year,.. i believe.  vgc for the week ending july 5th was at 8.5M and 2.6M + the previous 7M is 9.6M shipped.  i'd wager vgc is slightly undertracking ps4 right now.  maybe by about 100-300k depending on how reasonable that 0.9M assumption for ps3 is.

When PS3 is down 60% YOY it's not reasonable. More like 700k max.

There is just statistics that you think 700k max, no proof. NPD proved that Just cuz a system is down YoY, doesnt mean it'll hold the same percent every month. Yes PS4 definitely could be over 2.8mil, but ps3 might of did well, it does get games still. 

PS3 sales in NA have been way down,

The huge chunk of that shipment has to be PS4 unless they are pumping a LOT of PS3's into smaller markets. I'll be very surprised if Sony doesn't announce the 10 million PS4 numbers at Gamescom

Around the Network
tbone51 said:

There is just statistics that you think 700k max, no proof. NPD proved that Just cuz a system is down YoY, doesnt mean it'll hold the same percent every month. Yes PS4 definitely could be over 2.8mil, but ps3 might of did well, it does get games still. 

Well statistics is all we have. PS3 has been way down since PS4 launched, why all of a sudden do you think it went back up?

BenVTrigger said:

The huge chunk of that shipment has to be PS4 unless they are pumping a LOT of PS3's into smaller markets. I'll be very surprised if Sony doesn't announce the 10 million PS4 numbers at Gamescom

In japan, it should be ps3>ps4 this quarter, but then again japan isnt selling anything so its a very small percentage of the 3.5mil (my guess 250k there for both ps3/ps4)

Gamescom is a very safe bet, do you think it'll be sold through or shipped? either way 9mil sold through is a sure thing now.

phaedruss said:
tbone51 said:

Well statistics is all we have. PS3 has been way down since PS4 launched, why all of a sudden do you think it went back up?

Not saying it be up YoY, but its not guaranteed to be under 700k. Thats wat im saying.

tbone51 said:

Not saying it be up YoY, but its not guaranteed to be under 700k. Thats wat im saying.

Well of course it's not guaranteed, but it seems likely and that's about all we can say at this point.

BenVTrigger said:

I would think 10m at Gamescom is a certainty.

PS3 is still big in southeastern Europe. We saw those Italian data, and purely on anecdotal evidence, in Croatia PS3 still outsells PS4 by a wide margin. A part of the reason is low stock of PS4, but more has to do with price, cheap wide selection of games, and most users abusing account sharing options.