By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Destiny overhyped like Titanfall??

Well reading the beta impressions, the game seems great, but not a 95+ metascore kind of game we rarely see.

Since I'm still in the 7th gen, waiting for Halo 5 to buy a X1, I may just buy Destiny in the meantime, but certainly not at full price.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
ohmylanta1003 said:
Chasesdaddy84 said:
I've noticed a trend... Most everyone who says it seems like a legit game has played the beta/alpha or are currently in it. I just started it yesterday and I'm not saying it's a day 1 for me, but it's doing a damn good job of convincing me it is.

Then I've noticed nearly everyone who says "oh its WAY over hyped, looks lame, so on and so on" then I look at their Avatar and it's a big Mario Kart avatar or something similar to that... Hm... How much of the beta/alpha have these people played? My guess is little to none..

In the end it's all subjective. It's all our opinions and that's okay. Some will like it for what it is, some will hate it for what it is. and that's okay. Play what you enjoy and let others play what they enjoy.

I'd say that a lot of the people (especially on this site) that own a Wii U also own another console, so trying to say that Nintendo people are the haters is most likely wrong. I have a Wii U, but I loved Destiny and I can't wait to get it when it comes out. People that buy the Wii U know they aren't going to get third party games. We buy it for the great exclusives that it has to offer. We aren't jealous of a 3rd party game that's not coming out on the Wii U because we never expected it to be on the Wii U. That's why a lot of Wii U owners also have another console.

My point is, lots of people are loving this game and lots of people are hatin' on it, but please don't try to generalize who is hatin' on the game, because you and I both know damn well that it's not just Nintendo people.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly that it isn't just Nintendo fans hating. I said the "majority" and to be honest I think you are one of the rare ones that is seeing things clearly. I totally agree with you on most of your feedback... but its not so cut and dry as you make it out to be. Not EVERYONE who owns a Wii U owns another console. Maybe in time that will be more and more true, but as of right now that is definitely not the case. Also I only came to that conclusion after  reading this very thread. I love the Wii U and can't wait to add it to my collection. But to generalize and say that it is NOT like I stated above is more of a generalzation to be honest. Not many as of right now own all or more than one next gen console. THat will come in time I agree, esecially with the Wii U much like the Wii most had a second console for thrid Party.. Like i said it's all subjective. 

Chasesdaddy84 said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
Chasesdaddy84 said:
I've noticed a trend... Most everyone who says it seems like a legit game has played the beta/alpha or are currently in it. I just started it yesterday and I'm not saying it's a day 1 for me, but it's doing a damn good job of convincing me it is.

Then I've noticed nearly everyone who says "oh its WAY over hyped, looks lame, so on and so on" then I look at their Avatar and it's a big Mario Kart avatar or something similar to that... Hm... How much of the beta/alpha have these people played? My guess is little to none..

In the end it's all subjective. It's all our opinions and that's okay. Some will like it for what it is, some will hate it for what it is. and that's okay. Play what you enjoy and let others play what they enjoy.

I'd say that a lot of the people (especially on this site) that own a Wii U also own another console, so trying to say that Nintendo people are the haters is most likely wrong. I have a Wii U, but I loved Destiny and I can't wait to get it when it comes out. People that buy the Wii U know they aren't going to get third party games. We buy it for the great exclusives that it has to offer. We aren't jealous of a 3rd party game that's not coming out on the Wii U because we never expected it to be on the Wii U. That's why a lot of Wii U owners also have another console.

My point is, lots of people are loving this game and lots of people are hatin' on it, but please don't try to generalize who is hatin' on the game, because you and I both know damn well that it's not just Nintendo people.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly that it isn't just Nintendo fans hating. I said the "majority" and to be honest I think you are one of the rare ones that is seeing things clearly. I totally agree with you on most of your feedback... but its not so cut and dry as you make it out to be. Not EVERYONE who owns a Wii U owns another console. Maybe in time that will be more and more true, but as of right now that is definitely not the case. Also I only came to that conclusion after  reading this very thread. I love the Wii U and can't wait to add it to my collection. But to generalize and say that it is NOT like I stated above is more of a generalzation to be honest. Not many as of right now own all or more than one next gen console. THat will come in time I agree, esecially with the Wii U much like the Wii most had a second console for thrid Party.. Like i said it's all subjective. 

Good points and yeah, I think, like the Wii, the Wii U will become a very solid secondary console this generation, probably an even better secondary console than the Wii was. And thanks for the positive response, by the way. I don't see that very often around here!

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

LudicrousSpeed said:
I agree there is quality stuff in the PvE but it's no different than questing in Borderlands with other people using different classes. Nothing really ambitious about it imho.

Idk what "it clicked" means but that seems to be the go-to response to people trying to explain how the PvP is not unbalanced. To me it is unbalanced because the supers are overpowered and in Crucible it's basically whoever has the fastest fire rate wins since most of the other stuff is evened out. Plus vehicles are a joke, but it's a beta, you can probably destroy them a lot easier with better stuff in the real game. If CoD had a beta with no launchers, UAV's would seem pretty unbalanced.

The PvP just seems like it was added for the sake of having conventional MP. It's beyond bad. Maybe other modes will be less chaotic and will allow for more than auto rifle and super spamming.

Not many people complain too much about CoD Killstreaks. Those are pretty much the same thing as being "Supercharged" in Destiny. And I disagree with the fastest fire rate wins. I always used semi-auto rifles and faired quite well in PVP. Sure I had my bad rounds but I had some great rounds too. Lowest KDR was about 0.40 (lol) and highest was a 9.0 (it clicked that round). Vehicles are tough to take down... I agree there, but you can aim for the driver and take him out as easily as you could if he wasn't on the vehicle. Maybe they will give more heavy ammo when the full game releases or something else to help with this.

I actually enjoyed the PVP. You seem to not be too big of a fan of it, but maybe it was just this gamemode.

Watch dogs was overhyped too ...

Around the Network

Chasesdaddy84 said:

Really, all the anti-hype that's occurring is due to the immense hype itself.  Games are made out to be so much bigger and better than they actually are these days that its jaded a lot of fans.  

Having seen a lot of Destiny advertisement, I have yet to see it be sold as something it's not.  It doesn't claim to change gaming or to break the mold.  It's Mass Effect with tons and tons and tons of cash pumped into it's marketing.  So in reality, no one isn't - or at least they shouldn't be - hating on Destiny, they're hating on the people who believe the hype and make Destiny out to be "the next big thing".  It's not... Destiny is for gaming now what Halo was 10 years ago - a solid gaming experience.  

I don't fault Activision for hyping the shit out of this because of it's mind boggling budget.  At least they aren't lying about the game, it's fan expectation vs. fan cynicism.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

NobleTeam360 said:
Yes, yes it is. If not even more so.

Prophet

RenCutypoison said:

what game is not overhyped today?

Viltgance said:

We all seen how fast Titanfall faded away considering it was the 2nd coming of christ.  Will Destiny share the same fate?

Is Destiny being way overhyped considering the alpha/beta didn't get stellar reviews.....Is it just being hyped up to get the pre order numbers up and then people will be set for mass disappointment? 

I think so. Or maybe?

RenCutypoison said:

Watchdogs were all lies. -.-