By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UPDATE:How well will Splatoon sell and what does Sony think of it?

How much will Splatoon sell?

Less than 2M 194 50.79%

More than 2M 188 49.21%

Total:382

I want to believe it can make a splash (hah), but it's a new IP on weakly performing hardware. Even a glowing critical and public reception might not hit 2 million.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

It could go either way.

I have no idea. And no data about similar games to make comparisons with.

This one will be a mystery until it hits the shelves.

I LOVE ICELAND!

RealGamingExpert said:
phaedruss said:
RealGamingExpert said:
AZWification said:

I'm going to be more positive and say that Splatoon will reach 1 million LT!

Thats positive?

I think it should easily hit 2 mio, but only if nintendo puts some effort into marketing it.

I do think that they learned a lot from MK8 though.

This isn't Mario Kart 8 though...

Reggie said that they want Splatoon to be the Mario Kart of the shooter genre.

If they market it correctly then this could become a huge success.

I'm sure that's what they'd like it to be, but that's not what it is. It could get there in the future if there's enough depth and it can hold people's interests, but I don't think the first game will do that. I honestly don't think there's enough there to make it long lived especially not for the shooter crowd.

outlawauron said:
Smear-Gel said:
I dont understand the pessimistic comments.

It's like the Wii U's situation is permanently stuck in pre-holiday 2013 mode for many people.

It's selling major software, what else has changed since?

Higher install base, shifting perception of Nintendo and the Wii U, the games are finally coming, and Nintendo's advertisers getting better at thier job as of late, at least when it comes to promoting the games (Bayonetta 2, Tomodachi Life, Hyrule Warriors, MK8 etc are definitely being promoted better than Wonderful 101 ever was). Thinking that the Wii U wont be in an even better position by early-ish 2015 is just crazy.

People are saying Splatoon wont sell well  and using things from summer 2013 as examples. Like honestly.

3m. at least i hope so....

cmon SOME NEW IP NEEDS TO SELL......RIGHT?!

Around the Network

"Its not worth 60 dollars"
"looks like some cheap DLC game"

These comments make me sick. This thread only has a few, but those comments have been all over this forum for such a long time.
Seriously, people? Take a good damn look at most of the stuff that sells for 60 dollars. *sigh*
Doesn't matter though, right? This is a Nintendo game after all. Ofc its worth "less". Always is.

I really want this game to sell a lot of units. Prove to the world that there is room for other things than brown shooters. Im afraid though... I wonder if it'll ever break a million units.
Throwing out some big assumptions: Assuming that the people who bought the Wii U at launch were mostly interested in first party games (that would be me), and then how Mario Kart 8 pushed a ton of sales, do these people want a shooter? Then again, this isn't a normal shooter.
I'm hoping for at least 2M lifetime. I'm expecting less :C

Smear-Gel said:
outlawauron said:
Smear-Gel said:
I dont understand the pessimistic comments.

It's like the Wii U's situation is permanently stuck in pre-holiday 2013 mode for many people.

It's selling major software, what else has changed since?

Higher install base, shifting perception of Nintendo and the Wii U, the games are finally coming, and Nintendo's advertisers getting better at thier job as of late, at least when it comes to promoting the games (Bayonetta 2, Tomodachi Life, Hyrule Warriors, MK8 etc are definitely being promoted better than Wonderful 101 ever was). Thinking that the Wii U wont be in an even better position by early-ish 2015 is just crazy.

People are saying Splatoon wont sell well  and using things from summer 2013 as examples. Like honestly.

The Wii U has finally turned the page.I think 2M

I think it will be a huge hit. Looks ridiculously fun to play, has a very fresh concept, and looks very easy to get into.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

I doubt it goes over 2 million, but that's only because the Wii U itself has very few consoles out there. If it reaches over 1.5 million, I'd consider that a success.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

I think the multiplayer is gonna be extremely repetitive. Does it have singleplayer? because as of now i think it's not worth its $60 price tag like Titanfall wasnt.