By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UPDATE:How well will Splatoon sell and what does Sony think of it?

How much will Splatoon sell?

Less than 2M 194 50.79%

More than 2M 188 49.21%

Total:382
outlawauron said:
Smear-Gel said:
aDomingo said:
 incompetent Nintendo marketing...

See what I mean? We'll never get out of Summer 2013

They spent more money on MK8 advertising than on a game that was never going to make money. I don't think you really have much to say there's a complete 180.

I've never said they made a complete 180. I've said things have changed for the better since last year. They spent money on MK8's advertising because it's a game that's supposed to kickstart a Wii U sales increase. They also advertised Tomodachi Life, Kirby and Yoshi's New Island pretty well and are currently in the process of hyping up Hyrue Warriors and Smash Bros. Hell, even the DKC:TF Twitter stunt resulted in them being trending on both Twitter and Facebook, the two biggest social networks. They arent perfect, but they're definitely trying harder.

Double hell, Miyamoto asked Kotaku what games they want them to make. Things have definitely changed. And all of the changes leaves Splatoon in a better position to do well that before. Things could still go horribly wrong, but it could aslo go horribly right too.

Around the Network
phaedruss said:
HEMSTAR said:
I think the multiplayer is gonna be extremely repetitive. Does it have singleplayer? because as of now i think it's not worth its $60 price tag like Titanfall wasnt.

I think this as well. I mean it's a fun mechanic but how many modes can you really offer and how different from other shooters will it really end up being? How much customization can you offer? Etc. etc.

I'd agree with you, but Mario Kart 8's multiplayer seems just as repetitive, honestly. Or the multiplayer for many other games. And that doesnt seem to be a problem.

Plus what this is doing is increasing the online multiplayer options on the console. If you get bored of Splatoon's MP, you can switch to Smash Bros/Devil's Third/Mario Kart 8/COD/etc, and vice versa. All the online games should theoretically increase the online crowd for Wii U

phaedruss said:
HEMSTAR said:
I think the multiplayer is gonna be extremely repetitive. Does it have singleplayer? because as of now i think it's not worth its $60 price tag like Titanfall wasnt.

I think this as well. I mean it's a fun mechanic but how many modes can you really offer and how different from other shooters will it really end up being? How much customization can you offer? Etc. etc.

I don't see why it couldn't have similar gameplay modes (capture the flag, team deathmatch, free-for-all). They showcased a variety of different weapons.

You could rebalance paint reload times, shooting depth and frequency, speed in swimming through paint. If you pay attention to the gameplay footage, scoring isn't based solely on the amount of paint area, but also on kills. Conceivably, it's possible to have a match where winning team doesn't have the most painted in area, but wins on having the most kills.

Having 3, 4 or more teams in play could make it interesting too.

There's plenty of depth to the core mechanic to make for a very interesting shooter.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
phaedruss said:
HEMSTAR said:

I don't see why it couldn't have similar gameplay modes (capture the flag, team deathmatch, free-for-all). They showcased a variety of different weapons.

You could rebalance paint reload times, shooting depth and frequency, speed in swimming through paint. If you pay attention to the gameplay footage, scoring isn't based solely on the amount of paint area, but also on kills. Conceivably, it's possible to have a match where winning team doesn't have the most painted in area, but wins on having the most kills.

Having 3, 4 or more teams in play could make it interesting too.

There's plenty of depth to the core mechanic to make for a very interesting shooter.

Actually, kills add to scoring but winning is still based solely on paint. Maybe that will change later or in different modes though.

I doubt it'll sell particularly well. Maybe scrape past 1mil

Around the Network
Smear-Gel said:

I've never said they made a complete 180. I've said things have changed for the better since last year. They spent money on MK8's advertising because it's a game that's supposed to kickstart a Wii U sales increase. They also advertised Tomodachi Life, Kirby and Yoshi's New Island pretty well and are currently in the process of hyping up Hyrue Warriors and Smash Bros. Hell, even the DKC:TF Twitter stunt resulted in them being trending on both Twitter and Facebook, the two biggest social networks. They arent perfect, but they're definitely trying harder.

Double hell, Miyamoto asked Kotaku what games they want them to make. Things have definitely changed. And all of the changes leaves Splatoon in a better position to do well that before. Things could still go horribly wrong, but it could aslo go horribly right too.

I never thought I'd hear the phrase "horribly right".

I suppose Nintendo is doing quite a job with Hyrule Warriors, because it has people interested who don't like Warriors games and its gameplay. If that does well, Nintendo will have certainly turned nothing into something.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Smear-Gel said:

I never thought I'd hear the phrase "horribly right".

I suppose Nintendo is doing quite a job with Hyrule Warriors, because it has people interested who don't like Warriors games and its gameplay. If that does well, Nintendo will have certainly turned nothing into something.

Yeah lol, I say silly things when I'm describing sometimes. I like doing it though.

The people who like Warriors games but dont like Zelda games and the people who like Zelda games but dont like Warriors games but yet are interested in this are pretty interesting. They're definitely doing a good job bridging the fanbases here. I'm curious to see how that game will end up.