By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will collective sales of the 8th gen manage to match 7th gen?

Will the 8th gen do as well as the 7th?

Yes 25 13.16%

No 150 78.95%

See results 15 7.89%

Total:190

There is no question about it, it will not only fall short of last generation, but might probably even have a hard time reaching the 6th generation in sales. If you count handhelds, its even worse.

Around the Network

The poll options should have been: No; Not a chance; and Hell No!

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I don't see it being remotely possible. Last gen was an anomaly, further proof of that is how the "market leading" platform were the first to jump into the new gen. That has never happened before. You are right on your prediction, max 180M-200M. But that is in no way a bad thing in my opinion.

When people talk sales I think they forget whats really important, the software. I think a better estimation of a platforms or maybe even a generations success should be by the total amount of software sold.

small44 said:
No because of wiiu

lol, even if the Wii U sold as well as the others (well, actually it is starting to sell as well as the Xone right now), it would still be lower. PS4 will be lucky to even make it to 80mil with the sales it is bringing in now.  Btw, if the PS4 is going to reach your prediction, iis is going to need to sell 100-150k console a week on average for the next 9-10 years. With it already dipping below 100k on several weeks now, That is not going to happen.

Not even close.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I say No.... But you never No.

With PC as a more valid source these days, I don't see console being as big as it used to. Of course this is all speculation. Based on how it's going so far, it should do better, but I feel like it's going to lose steam faster.

8th gen will be closest in size to the 5th gen for home consoles and the 6th gen for handhelds.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Nope. I say the market is decreasing as costs are increasing.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Nope, WiiU and XBO sales are going to be too low for that to happen..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---