By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will collective sales of the 8th gen manage to match 7th gen?

Will the 8th gen do as well as the 7th?

Yes 25 13.16%

No 150 78.95%

See results 15 7.89%

Total:190

Maybe in home console.
Impossible in Portable.

Around the Network

Nope. Probably won't even reach 6th gen numbers (211M or 295M counting handhelds). My guess is the PS4 will reach around 100M, Wii U around 35M, Xbox One around 35M, 3DS around 100M, Vita around 20M. Or around 170M just counting home consoles, 290M counting handhelds.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

TechnoHobbit said:
Nope. Probably won't even reach 6th gen numbers (211M or 295M counting handhelds). My guess is the PS4 will reach around 100M, Wii U around 35M, Xbox One around 35M, 3DS around 100M, Vita around 20M. Or around 170M just counting home consoles, 290M counting handhelds.

I think you´re being very generous with both the 3DS and Vita...I think we´ll see the release of the 3DS successor in about 2 years, it´s currently at ~ 44 million, I don´t think it can manage to sell another 56 million when most of its big guns have already been fired.

drake_tolu said:
small44 said:
No because of wiiu

And XBOX ONE.

I think ps4 can easily sold at least 20 millions more then ps3  and don't see X1 selling 20 millions less then Xbox 360 but Wii u will sell 60 or 70 millions less then Wii

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

The primary reason this wont happen is because Nintendo's "blue ocean" has abandoned them. That's at least 60 mil console sales right there

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
small44 said:
drake_tolu said:
small44 said:
No because of wiiu

And XBOX ONE.

I think ps4 can easily sold at least 20 millions more then ps3  and don't see X1 selling 20 millions less then Xbox 360 but Wii u will sell 60 or 70 millions less then Wii

Infacat Wii U will sell 60 million less of Wii: 40 million.

And XBOX ONE will sell 35 million less of XBOX 360: 50 million.

Even if the PS4 equals sales with PS2 (which it won't), the low sales of the XBone, WiiU and the handhelds would make surpassing last gen impossible.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

No. I think together they will all sell around 180 million units.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Even if they don't, it's not a bad thing. It's not been the best generation in my opinion. Nothing very new and feels more focused on visuals and they have had some kind of issue this gen. Sony's PS Vita has been poor and PS4 has not appealed to Japan. Microsoft's Xbox One is doing well, but still could of performed better, but luckily Phil Spencer is doing a very good job to fix the crap Dom Mattrick did at E3 2013. Nintendo is doing amazing with the 3DS, but still seems like they could improve as still not comparing to DS and Wii U isn't doing very well at all. 3DS and PS4 seems to be the only consoles showing signs, but things improve so yeah I would rather wait and see.

JGarret said:

I think you´re being very generous with both the 3DS and Vita...I think we´ll see the release of the 3DS successor in about 2 years, it´s currently at ~ 44 million, I don´t think it can manage to sell another 56 million when most of its big guns have already been fired.

Your probably right. I forgot the 3DS came out in ealy 2011 (I always think late 2011 for some reason). And that the game line-up is starting to dry up in the west.

80 million seems more likely.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.