By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - LeBron James Chooses the Cleveland Cavaliers!!!

burninmylight said:
VanceIX said:
burninmylight said:

Oh, so we're talking about giving him the max (or near max) contract while still fielding two other all stars in this situation? Then outside of Houston, nobody except the team he's leaving. Cleveland ain't got two all stars. Love is a Timberwolf last time I checked, and the T-wolves still have him for another year if they so please. Therefore, they decide where he goes, if he goes this offseason. And like I said in another post, Cleveland can't have Kyrie , LeBron and Love all on max deals.

They can if they trade Wiggins for Love, which they are actually considering, according to some sources. Even if they don't, they have an insane front-court with Irving and Wiggins (assuming they move him to SG), and Lebron in the back. They also have what is essentially an unprotected lottery pick this year from Miami. They are easily the best team in terms of potential, period.

It's not about talent-for-talent trades so much as it is about salary and going over the cap. We really can't have this discussion until we know what LeBron will sign for, but assuming he signs for the max (which he has stated he wants), and Love wants to sign for the max (which he has stated he wants), then Cleveland has a serious game of salary-cap-Tetris in front of it.

Kyrie still has one more year of rookie salary before his huge deal kicks in, so that's what would allow any of this to possibly work. But after next year, assuming Cleveland were to keep Kyrie and land LeBron and Love, it's salary cap would be astronomical for such a small market, superstars or not. We're talking Brooklyn Nets territory, and most owners would never want to foot that bill.

But like I said, we'll know a lot more once contracts start becoming a bit more concrete. The NBA salary cap for next year was just set to be around $62 million a couple of days ago. If two guys are taking up more than half of that, then there's not much else you can do around them.

Seeing as that through a trade the Cavs can in fact sign Love to a max contract, I don't see why it's not possible. And why would you assume that Gilbert wouldn't want to pay the luxury tax? They'll make up all of it and more just by having Love, Lebron, and Irving on the same team. Win a couple of championships, and watch the sponsorships come through.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
EspadaGrim said:
Chris Hu said:

Pretty much, but even with LeBron they are not title condenters anytime soon.  So I guess Bosh will go to Houston now and the Mavs will probably end up with Chandler Parsons.

Actually rumors say that the Rockets will match Chandlers Offer sheet.

Well the latest rumors have Parsons going to the Mavs which is good since they need somebody to built arround once Dirk retires.

BeElite said:
good decision, he makes amends.

Melo needs to man up and sign with bulls and win a championship.

Even with Melo the Bulls are nowhere close to being a contender.  Anyway regardless of what else happens for the rest of the free agent period the Spurs are going do something they haven't done before and re peat as champions. 

I gained some respect for the Ohio born man. You won now win with your home team. I doubt Carmelo has reason to come back to Denver never winning one in almost perfect scenario to do it like Lebron.

Chris Hu said:

Well the latest rumors have Parsons going to the Mavs which is good since they need somebody to built arround once Dirk retires.

Parsons agreed to the Mavs offer and the Rockets still have the opportunity to match it rumors say that they will.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
BeElite said:

Even with Melo the Bulls are nowhere close to being a contender.  Anyway regardless of what else happens for the rest of the free agent period the Spurs are going do something they haven't done before and re peat as champions. 

im with you on that, but bulls and melo are good nuf to make finals.  They best hope Timmahhh and Gnobbbbuli retire after next season.

BeElite said:
Chris Hu said:
BeElite said:

im with you on that, but bulls and melo are good nuf to make finals.  They best hope Timmahhh and Gnobbbbuli retire after next season.

If the re peat which they should Duncan will retire for sure not sure about Manu I think he will play at least two more years.

VanceIX said:
burninmylight said:
VanceIX said:
burninmylight said:

This just in: good basketball players want to play with other good basketball players to give them the best chance to win. By the way, if he signs for max money, they wouldn't be able to sign Kevin Love, who will no doubt want to get paid as well. The Cavs just signed Irving to a 90$ million contract.

MJ and Kobe, along with Magic Johnson, Kareem, etc. all played for pretty much one team their entire careers, and when they did leave it wasn't because they saw greener pastures. Kareem was traded, Magic got AIDS, Kobe is still with the Lakers even though they suck, and Michael Jordan left to play baseball. They built their own legacies through persistence, not insta-championships. Lebron is the definition of a mercenary, while the other people who have gone down as the greatest were very loyal and stayed many, many years with their teams.

Kobe demanded the Lakers trade him at one point, and was almost a Bull. MJ was a Wizard for two years. But you can excuse those.

Kareem started his first few years in Milwaukee, and even won a championship there. He demanded the Bucks trade him to LA (greener pastures?), even though they were one of the greatest teams of the era. LeBron has never demanded a trade and has only left a team as an unrestricted free agent. So by your logic, Kareem should be remembered less fondly than LeBron, and Kobe was almost a quitter. I'd like to see your excuse on that one.

Oh, I almost forgot! Kobe refused to work out for a bunch of teams as a draft prospect. Him and his agent purposefully tried to move him away from certain teams, even if it meant moving down further in the draft. When he was selected by Charlotte, he asked to be traded, so Charlotte worked out the deal to get him in LA. What about that?

Kobe demanded a trade to get the management off their asses and to make the team better. If he really wanted out, he would have gotten out. MJ was a Wizard when he came back from baseball, at least he didn't originally leave the Bulls for the Wizards. Kareem leaving the Bucks had little to do with winning and more to do with leaving a city he didn't like.

And at least Kobe has stayed with the Lakers this entire time. There has been drama, sure, there almost always is with superstars. The important thing is that he's still there, and has been through the good and the ugly.

No, Kobe didn't get out because he was still under contract. If he was a UFA, he would have been gone. He didn't soften his stance until the team acquired Pau Gasol in his prime.

Jordan came back from baseball as a Bull, and his second retirement was as a Bull. And given the state of the Bulls at the time, I'm pretty sure they would have welcomed him back a third time.

Show me where Kareem said he didn't like the city of Milwaukee. He's always been classy with his public comments toward the city. Within the past couple of years, he's tried to get back in the organization as a head coach, in the front office and even part of an ownership group:

http://www.brewhoop.com/2014/3/18/5523728/kareem-abdul-jabbar-milwaukee-bucks-ownership-group-herb-kohl

I'm a huge Bucks fan, dude. I visit a Bucks blog daily and chat with people who have been fans much longer than myself. He left Milwaukee because he just flat out wanted to be in a bigger market in a more progressive city, and he knew he'd still be part of a championship squad. History and the media been graciously kind enough to forget the Milwaukee portion of his legacy, just like it usually is with its superstar darlings, and as it will be one day with LeBron.

burninmylight said:
DolPhanTendo said:
This right here proves je is a self center EGOtistical jack ass and is the reason NBA is 5th most popular sport here in the U.S. This puts him no where near Jordan comparison and Damn I cant stand him.

Care to explain? By the way, the NBA is #2.

Not sure if the NBA is really #2 but they are for sure not #5 that would be MLS.

burninmylight said:
VanceIX said:

Kobe demanded a trade to get the management off their asses and to make the team better. If he really wanted out, he would have gotten out. MJ was a Wizard when he came back from baseball, at least he didn't originally leave the Bulls for the Wizards. Kareem leaving the Bucks had little to do with winning and more to do with leaving a city he didn't like.

And at least Kobe has stayed with the Lakers this entire time. There has been drama, sure, there almost always is with superstars. The important thing is that he's still there, and has been through the good and the ugly.

No, Kobe didn't get out because he was still under contract. If he was a UFA, he would have been gone. He didn't soften his stance until the team acquired Pau Gasol in his prime.

Jordan came back from baseball as a Bull, and his second retirement was as a Bull. And given the state of the Bulls at the time, I'm pretty sure they would have welcomed him back a third time.

Show me where Kareem said he didn't like the city of Milwaukee. He's always been classy with his public comments toward the city. Within the past couple of years, he's tried to get back in the organization as a head coach, in the front office and even part of an ownership group:

http://www.brewhoop.com/2014/3/18/5523728/kareem-abdul-jabbar-milwaukee-bucks-ownership-group-herb-kohl

I'm a huge Bucks fan, dude. I visit a Bucks blog daily and chat with people who have been fans much longer than myself. He left Milwaukee because he just flat out wanted to be in a bigger market in a more progressive city, and he knew he'd still be part of a championship squad. History and the media been graciously kind enough to forget the Milwaukee portion of his legacy, just like it usually is with its superstar darlings, and as it will be one day with LeBron.

Exactly. He left because he didn't want to live in a city that didn't fit his lifestyle.

And people use trade threats to force teams to get better. If Kobe was serious, the Lakers would have traded him instead of getting better. Lebron didn't even give the Heat that chance.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC