By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UPDATE! Megaton Virtual console subscription incoming?! Emily Rogers hinting at secret sauce in that 8.0 3ds update...?

What do you wany?

Unlimited vc access $5 a month 18 21.18%

unlimited vc access $9 a ... 16 18.82%

cross play 39 45.88%

I like to waste money 12 14.12%

Total:85
Dulfite said:
Ok I added the new poll as requested. For once a serious poll from me! Lol

Thanks, man!  I voted!

Around the Network
burninmylight said:

Bolded: that's why it's not the same. Also makes me wonder how the DRM on 3DS would work since it's a portable device that likely would not always have network access.

Yea I get that but that doesn't stop me from enjoying netflix or anything like that. In fact, it's a higher value since you get to try all the games you want without being stuck with a purchase you don't like, etc. etc. I wouldn't play most of the games more than once anyways.

Raziel123 said:
Dulfite said:
Raziel123 said:
Wait, what. Nintendo digital games are linked to the console, not an account? Glad I Nintendon't..

No they are linked to account just hard to deal with. You can't download them multiple times on multiple devices, but if you lose your hardware you can get your titles.

What do you need to do if you replace your console for example? Just connect to the internet once with the account that bought it or phone Nintendo?

If no-one else has answered, you call them  up

It's probably just for stability.

I'm far from confident that anything will come of this, though it is just suspicious enough to intrigue me.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that Nintendo doesn't have the infrastructure to stream Virtual Console games to 50 million 3DS owners around the world. Some sort of cross-buy plan, on the other hand, does sound like something they would do in time. They've been talking a lot about unifying their home and portable platforms lately. And just a few weeks ago, we got this tidbit:

“But there are some things that we’re working on that we haven’t announced here at E3 that do involve some sort of communication between the Wii U and 3DS,” Takahashi teased.

(Source: ign.com/articles/2014/06/20/nintendo-teases-future-communication-between-wii-u-and-3ds)

From the context, it sounds like they're talking about games with functionality relating to both platforms like Smash Bros, but anything is possible.

Around the Network

Subscription sounds so unnintendo, the cross-play is much more plausible since it halfway exists already.
What I would like to see is a NNID share between a pair of home consoles and a handful of handhelds.

If a subscription is what it is, a whole eShop one would raise an eyebrow from me.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

if it ends up being vc subscription, its safe to say that next gen you can wave goodbye to free online play.

I really hope its not subscription.

I am sure the next Nintendo console will have paid online, but leave that concept out of the Wii U PLEEEEASE!

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

burninmylight said:
kekrot said:
burninmylight said:
The devs who made Squids Odyssey said Nintendo is working on fixing the infrastructure after they made Squids the first crossbuy game on a Nintendo ecosystem (in Europe, at least). I know it's a hail mary, but perhaps this is another step closer to GBA games on 3DS and/or cross-buy?

Don't hold your breath for GBA on 3DS. It isn't powerful enough to emulate GBA games in the first place (ambassador games aren't emulated, they are launched as native apps through the DS mode, and from there, GBA mode. That's why they couldn't include things like suspend points. Every VC title from now on will have suspend points and GBA on 3DS doesn't support it. 

I find it extremely hard to believe it's a question of power. To say it's a matter of ROM compatibility is understandable, but you can't tell me a console playing Wii-level games isn't powerful enough to handle SNES-level games.

Well it IS emulated, so it needs way more power than the old GBA... But I only said, don't hold your breath, because while it may be possible, especially if they optimise their emulator, it isn't possible right now. Read this article, it's spot on.

http://www.vooks.net/why-the-game-boy-advance-isnt-on-the-3ds-virtual-console/

Bolded: I don't think it has anything to do with ROM compatibility, but as of now the 3DS is not anywhere powerful enough to run their GBA roms.

Yep.

A new encryption key to prevent use of flashcards to run pirated 3DS games, eshop and online play is much more likely part of the 8.0 update.