By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Nintendo shouldn't suck up to third parties

Cheebee said:
This is a hilariously entertaining thread.

LOL Rol at his finest. 

Around the Network
Cheebee said:
This is a hilariously entertaining thread.

LOL Rol at his finest. 

EDIT: Double post. Browsing on mobile sucks. 

oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:
When Nintendo is on their game, they can support a console single handed. They don't need thirds. The other Console makers aren't game companies therefore, they are entirely reliant on third parties. This is no more evident than last gen.

Third Parties actually fucked over Sega too (though Sega's boneheaded decisions contributed greatly to their downfall) But Sega was similar to Nintendo in that they were dedicated hardware/software makers. This isn't what thirds want. They want leverage. M$ lack of a first party, and Sony's lack of a substantial first party is ideal for them.

Naw you only got half of it right. Truth is 3rd parties were never big on Sega especially Japanese publishers which is ironic. SNES got WAY better support than Genesis did. 

ANd frankly this whole 3rd parties want leverage argument is just based on paranoid fanboyism. 3rd parties dont care that a first party title does better. Lets not be silly. Halo moves big numbers thats not stopping anyone from putting games on xbox. 3rd parties just want systems they can sell there games on, that simply isnt the WIi u right now.

We'll agree to disagree. But you've only got it half right, Sega got better western support than Nintendo during those days, but the fact is because Sega, like Nintendo, had a strong first party, thirds weren't as prevalent on either console.

Paranoid fanboyism? Dude, please, I'm too old for that. I'm sure you know I've been on Nintendo fans shit list since this gen began because of my opinions on Wii U.

Again this is circular, they don't care as long as Nintendo isn't in the equation. M$ and Sony are largely interchangeable, hence why when one does well the other falters. And if thirds didn't care which first party does better, why then do they use the excuse that they can't compete with Nintendo games on Nintendo systems?

They do want leverage, especially if given a choice. Sony and M$ CANNOT survive without third parties, the best selling games on their platforms are never their own. This is a precarious position to be in as a console maker. Just ask Sega. 

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

They should probably do more to get them on board, but not suck up to them...

To be honest people say it needs 3rd-party, but not exactly. I think you find Microsoft and Sony rely on 3rd-party more than their own and that can be dangerous if they start to lose that support because if they don't do alot of their own 1st-party stuff like Nintendo does then that's where droughts happen and there isn't half as many games coming out. If anything, Nintendo has done the good idea to do a lot of their own games and hopefully when their games do better, 3rd-party will crawl back and then it's even better.

Around the Network

Nintendo has themselves to blame for their third party situation. So stop making it seem like everyone is out to get them.

Mystro-Sama said:
Nintendo has themselves to blame for their third party situation. So stop making it seem like everyone is out to get them.

Please tell us what Nintendo did?

oh nevermind.

Arius Dion said:
oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:
When Nintendo is on their game, they can support a console single handed. They don't need thirds. The other Console makers aren't game companies therefore, they are entirely reliant on third parties. This is no more evident than last gen.

Third Parties actually fucked over Sega too (though Sega's boneheaded decisions contributed greatly to their downfall) But Sega was similar to Nintendo in that they were dedicated hardware/software makers. This isn't what thirds want. They want leverage. M$ lack of a first party, and Sony's lack of a substantial first party is ideal for them.

Naw you only got half of it right. Truth is 3rd parties were never big on Sega especially Japanese publishers which is ironic. SNES got WAY better support than Genesis did. 

ANd frankly this whole 3rd parties want leverage argument is just based on paranoid fanboyism. 3rd parties dont care that a first party title does better. Lets not be silly. Halo moves big numbers thats not stopping anyone from putting games on xbox. 3rd parties just want systems they can sell there games on, that simply isnt the WIi u right now.

We'll agree to disagree. But you've only got it half right, Sega got better western support than Nintendo during those days, but the fact is because Sega, like Nintendo, had a strong first party, thirds weren't as prevalent on either console.

Paranoid fanboyism? Dude, please, I'm too old for that. I'm sure you know I've been on Nintendo fans shit list since this gen began because of my opinions on Wii U.

Again this is circular, they don't care as long as Nintendo isn't in the equation. M$ and Sony are largely interchangeable, hence why when one does well the other falters. And if thirds didn't care which first party does better, why then do they use the excuse that they can't compete with Nintendo games on Nintendo systems?

They do want leverage, especially if given a choice. Sony and M$ CANNOT survive without third parties, the best selling games on their platforms are never their own. This is a precarious position to be in as a console maker. Just ask Sega. 

ok fair enough. 

I dont they care much about Nintendo because for a lot of 3rd parties they are not a factor for them. The excuse they use sounds much better than "we just dont want to do it" or "our games dont sell on Ninty consoles" at the end of the day the reasons why that is not important. I mean 3rd parties did fine on SNES and NES. I dont agree that one falters the other does. Not really true. I agree that they dont care if that happens. PS360 are going to end up selling about the same. PS4 is whupping xone, but that doesnt mean it is faltering, still doing better than WIi U. 

Yes Sony and MS cant survive without them. I dont think its a precarious position, because unlike Sega 3rd parties from both sides of the pond have no problem supporting both systems. Hell I woudl say Sega had the same issues Ninty is having now not establising good relations.

Kallumsmarties said:

To be honest people say it needs 3rd-party, but not exactly. I think you find Microsoft and Sony rely on 3rd-party more than their own and that can be dangerous if they start to lose that support because if they don't do alot of their own 1st-party stuff like Nintendo does then that's where droughts happen and there isn't half as many games coming out. If anything, Nintendo has done the good idea to do a lot of their own games and hopefully when their games do better, 3rd-party will crawl back and then it's even better.

not gonna happen. the Wii U isnt going to put up the numbers that will make 3rd parties want to bend over to get their games on the system. Especially when they start to phase out the PS360 development. 3rd parties arent going to build all new engines to get a worse version of say Batman AK on the system. they didnt do it for Wii and taht was a system that was actually selling. And even if they did its not black and white its not justa a console numbers game. demograph has to be taken into account, hell thats more important. There are more Wii Us out there than Xboxones, but the latter system sold way more copies of AC4 and COD ghosts.