By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Nintendo shouldn't suck up to third parties

Richard_Feynman said:
Mr Khan said:

1) The GameCube didn't get the third party support of Xbox, despite Xbox selling equally terribly.

2) Monster Hunter's sales on Wii/Wii U make a decent argument. The market for rigorous ARPGs is there.

3) Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but these publishers were acting with *foresight*. They decided, absent any sales, that Wii U did not deserve full third party support. If Wii U had come roaring out of the gate, these games still would not have been made.

4) Bias is all over this industry. I'd be almost as inclined to buy it as an argument than appeals to "rationality."

5) How many game-breaking bugs will Witcher 3 have, day one? Hell, check this out. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2659901

The "ship now, patch later" mentality is what Rol is addressing specifically.

1) Nonsense. The GC shared many, many 3rd party games with PS2 and XB and had many 3rd party exclusives - just like the XB games you are referring to. Which games were on PS2 and XB but left GC out in the cold? Come on. Is your list significant?

2) Monster Hunter is a MASSIVE series. "Decent" is NOT good enough.

3) I don't accept this point as worth responding to.

4) " Bias is all over this industry. I'd be almost as inclined to buy it as an argument than appeals to "rationality."" You're attempt at lofty speech is not going to intimidate me into accepting your statement as having worth. Indeed, I see this statement as worthless and embarrassing.

5) How about you wait till Nintendo releases a game as vast as Elder Scrolls before saying ANYTHING about patching. You'll eat your hat if Nintendo starts patching then I presume?

GTA

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

1) The biggest of them all: Grand Theft Auto.

2) It's one of the top-selling third party games on the platform. That doesn't amount to much overall, unfortunately, but it shows that Nintendo gamers favor Dark Souls-type gameplay explicitly over other third party offerings.

3) My point, then.

4) I suppose i'm being a bit disingenuous there. The point of the story is that a lot of third party developers have gone on record as being very dismissive of or outright hateful to Nintendo. Their opinions do count towards how the companies themselves function in the long run, though there comes a point where rationality wins out.

5) How about discussing the multitude of third party games much less ambitious in scope but just as bug-riddled? What of EA UFC?

1) DISC SIZE. You do remember the GC discs don't you? I do. I had a GC with 25 games. You however ignore this very fundamental part of the reason for the omission of GTAIII on GC. Not to mention money-hatting by MS to get the game on XB. Not to mention that it launched on PS2 at which point in GC's life? 

MOST IMPORTANTLY, NO ONE, I repeat, NO ONE could have predicted the unprecedented success of GTAIII... ON PS2.

There are VALID REASONS for what happened.

I didn't even mention the very relevant point of Nintendo and their history of "mature" game publising. GC was a purple console with a major emphasis on family/kids (and yes I know about Metroid, Eternal Darkness and RE - I owned them all). GTAIII might not even have been allowed by Nintendo - but it is indeed speculation.

Point is (once again) that you are being ignorant of historical developments and facts.

2) " Dark Souls-type gameplay explicitly over other third party offerings"

How is Monster Hunter, the GTA of the east, in ANY way comparable to the originally niche Souls series that have spawned a cult following due to word of mouth and reputation? They are ENTIRELY different. Your point falls to pieces.

3) Indeed, it is not point at all.

4) You say it well enough.

5) Why do you want to drag the lowest common denominator into this? There have ALWAYS been turds in the gaming industry. What the hell does that have to do with this discussion!? Nothing.

When Nintendo is on their game, they can support a console single handed. They don't need thirds. The other Console makers aren't game companies therefore, they are entirely reliant on third parties. This is no more evident than last gen.

Third Parties actually fucked over Sega too (though Sega's boneheaded decisions contributed greatly to their downfall) But Sega was similar to Nintendo in that they were dedicated hardware/software makers. This isn't what thirds want. They want leverage. M$ lack of a first party, and Sony's lack of a substantial first party is ideal for them.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

IamAwsome said:

The big problem isn't simply patching. It's releasing a 100% glitchfest knowing the game has bugs, and relying on early adopters to beta test the game. Nintendo games have bugs too, hell they had to patch MK7, but you never hear fans complaining on forums and making entire lists of bugs to fix. Look up the controversy surrounding bugs in games like Fallout New Vegas, Sonic 06, and BF4. You get bug after bug after bug in these games and developers basically rely on patches to actually finish the game. You never see Nintendo do this.

SO FRIGGIN WHAT!?

Are poor 3rd party games the focus of this discussion? No.

Are modern practices that Nintendo completely ignore part of this discussion? Maybe. But what about the poorest examples of these modern dev practices? NO! 

There are contraversies surround so many games. How about listing the patches, updates and DLC that were very good and added immensely to the game? No, you're not going to do that are you?

There are shit-poor products everywhere - games are no exception. You referring to examples of these as (somehow being) a counterpoint to what I said is highly frustrating.

And that, children, is why the Wii U is trash.

Around the Network

Nintendo is perfect and nothing is their fault. In fact, everything that ever goes wrong for Nintendo is the fault of someone else. They are also so perfect that they could make a game that easily surpasses an Elder Scrolls title in content and scope AND do it with zero bugs. This is because they are clearly the best in the entire industry and nobody even comes close to them.

Now I just wait until they release games like this to prove themselves to truly be the best of the best. I expect the new Zelda world to be at least as large as The Witcher 3 and offer plenty of side quests and loot so I can customize my character. Oh yeah, plus no bugs or patches.

Should be easy for them.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

RolStoppable said:
Richard_Feynman said:

I disagree with everything you say including the very essence of this thread.

" Nintendo wouldn't get all multiplatform games, even if their system was equal to others"

How could you possibly know this? The Wii and Wii U are/were both a generation behind. The Gamecube was "equal" and got great 3rd party support even though it sold terribly.

"It has everything to do with point 1"

No it doesn't. Who plays Dark Souls? It is common knowledge that the demographic that plays these kind of games have (largely) long abandoned Nintendo consoles. No one would buy Dark Souls on Wii U - I don't see how you could offer even a shred of evidence to the opposite.

(...)

Sorry for cutting your response off, but you were off to a bad start with the above.

First you try to refute my assertion that an equal Nintendo system wouldn't get all multiplatform games and then you immediately turn around to talk about a game that proves my assertion right. How could you not notice such a glaring contradiction?

Once again I assert that I disagree entirely with your logical methodology. 

"First you try to refute my assertion that an equal Nintendo system wouldn't get all (some) multiplatform games "

Indeed. That is what I am saying.

" then you immediately turn around to talk about a game that proves my assertion right"

The development of a software ecosystem is NOT INSTANTANEOUS. Fanbases migrate over years and generations and new human beings take up gaming. Nintendo's practices over MANY YEARS has bearing on my statement - NOT the fact that their latest console is (in some ways) on par with the previous generation of consoles  that this game appears on.

There is no market RIGHT NOW for Dark Souls on Wii U due to what Nintendo did with the Wii and the Wii U. 

If their target market was different and their goal for their consoles were different then that fact could have been different.

I do not appreciate your lack of common sense in this regard. The worst part of it that I cannot ascertain whether you make your statements with conviction or simply to be the village clown.

Euphoria14 said:
Nintendo is perfect and nothing is their fault. In fact, everything that ever goes wrong for Nintendo is the fault of someone else. They are also so perfect that they could make a game that easily surpasses an Elder Scrolls title in content and scope AND do it with zero bugs. This is because they are clearly the best in the entire industry and nobody even comes close to them.

Now I just wait until they release games like this to prove themselves to truly be the best of the best.

The ethos of this post sums up my problem with this thread and many of its replies entirely.

If anyone finds that I don't reply to them anymore then it is simply because I cannot foresee an outcome for the discussion due to the above illusion (and subsequent nonsensical arguments). I will however respond to sensible, structured replys even if they be inimical.

teigaga said:
oniyide said:
teigaga said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Let's suppose Nintendo had to pay off RockSteady to make Arhkam City Wii U, do you really believe they would have made their money back with the 210k copies it sold? Or if Nintendo had to pay off Namco for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 would have they made their money back with the 130k it sold on Wii U?

It all comes back to Nintendo.

Why would the game only sell 200k?

1.People have already got a system which can play the game.
2.People have no reason to buy the Wii U version (unless the gamepad excites them)
3.People have been given very little reason to own a Wii U in the first place.

it begs the question why was that game even on the system in the first place? Maybe to faciltate the upcoming Arkham Origins but that didnt do good either. and the new one istn even coming to WIi U.

Who knows...Probably out of sentiment- token of support.
Probably the misguided thought of "Nintendo fans haven't had the chance to play it". I think Most Nintendo fans own more then one console (or are PC gamers aswell). Otherwise I have no idea how they survived 2009-2012.

this, people here would have you believe otherwise. Even though we are on a sales site. I mean COD sales alone prove it by how much more each HD version did compared to the WIi ones.

Richard_Feynman said:
Euphoria14 said:

Now I just wait until they release games like this to prove themselves to truly be the best of the best.

The ethos of this post sums up my problem with this thread and many of its replies entirely.

If anyone finds that I don't reply to them anymore then it is simply because I cannot foresee an outcome for the discussion due to the above illusion (and subsequent nonsensical arguments). I will however respond to sensible, structured replys even if they be inimical.

It is obvious to anyone with common sense that Nintendo IS NOT the best developer in the world. Their online is subpar (They even choose AGAINST in game chat for a team-based competitive shooter!!) and I doubt they could even create a game on the same level as Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Minecraft or even Destiny.

Until they prove that they can then there is no way to begin claiming them to be the best. The notion is just silly.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!