By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Satoru Iwata has been re-elected as Nintendo president!

Is this good news?

Yes, Iwata has learned! 201 39.18%

No, what were the shareholders thinking! 131 25.54%

Maybe, we will see where it goes from here. 180 35.09%

Total:512
padib said:
ganoncrotch said:

His opening post in the thread talks about how Nintendo games are getting more and more childish but follows it up by saying that the new 3ds game is not for children so that is bad, then goes on to say that the tablet of the wii-u is awful and that it's never needed yet complains that it can run out of batteries... The statements are contradictions on themselves and really do just invite people pointing that out imo I guess it depends what way you take his original statement since that was what set the tone for most of the very negitive replies he has gotten during this thread.

Differing opinions is 1 thing, but critisizing a company for having more childish games and in the same line critisize them for having a non childish game... then it's just a damned if they do, damned if they don't attitude towards Nintendo and there is no room or reason to debate.

@bold. You misunderstood him. He said that adult games like Tamodachi are also marketed to children. He was supporting his point that Nintendo games are alienating non-children.

His argument that the U tablet is aweful is complementary to the batteries issue, it's compounded actually, no contradiction there. Every reaction in the thread was based on overly sensitive predispositions, and that's not right. Your 2nd paragraph is therefore invalid.

I'm a Nintendo fan, and I disagree with most of his points, but I'm not going to let a hoard of Nintendo fans be rude to a polite user. Sorry.

I think most people are reacting badly because in his opinion they should throw out pretty much every aspect of the Wii-U it would be like going into a thread about the X1 and saying what they need to do with it would be change it to be 100euros and remove it's ability to play Xboxone games and make it a 360, because Xbox360s sold so that would be the way forwards, do you not think that would... while technically being correct as a statement would just be a slap in the face to the company as a whole and is just writing off their newest console.

Iwata has a battle ahead of him to sell the wii-u to people and to make it appealing to them, but massive leaps backwards is not the way to go, for casual gamers the only difference between the Wii and Wii-U is that tablet, they literally couldn't give a toss what resolution their version of angry birds trilogy is running at, you can't expect non gamers to seek the same progressional upgrades that gamers do when it comes to technology.

As for the bold part of what you said, if you're referring to me as a part of that horde I think I've spent maybe 1hour on my 3ds over the last 2 months since getting PSN+ on my vita and my Wii watches sadly as I beat the life outta people in UltraStreetfighter4... sorry bit ranty but I'm not a fan of my posts being written off as nintendo fanboyism when I'd personally love if the 3DS stopped violating my beloved Vita worldwide :D I just reactly badly to his posts because I thought they were rubbish, sorry if it came off as fanboy defense to you.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
etking said:

Go out and ask your friends why they do not plan to ever buy the Wii-U. You will get exactly the above results.

How can you guess what anyone I know might say, if I asked them why they're not planning to buy a Wii U? For the record, most of my friends are not interested in gaming consoles, period, and those that have opted for the competition cite positive reasons for PS4 or X1, rather than negative reasons for Wii U. I do have friends who have a Wii U.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/does-wii-have-a-problem/

"Ironically, it’s in the midst of this jumble of technology that the Wii U, as muddled as it initially seems, actually makes the most sense."

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/05/14/nintendos-strange-awkward-shuffle-towards-ios/

"The groundwork is now set for Nintendo do something good on iOS. Iwata has said they are going to do it"

http://n4g.com/news/1463655/wii-u-is-a-clumsy-awkward-device-says-molyneux

"Peter Molynuex's latest project, Godus, could come to PS Vita and the Steam Box, but is less likely to make its way to PS4, Xbox One and Wii U." (Note, while the article describes the Wii U as 'clumsy', the reasons for not bringing Godus to PS4 and Xbox One is even more dire - because touch controls are central to Godus.)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1461381/can-you-buy-the-wii-u-and-the-wii-u-gamepad-separately

This is a simple question on a forum asking whether the Game Pad can be sold separately. It can't.

However, as you can often read in self reports, most people that bought the Wii-U end up liking the tablet in eventually. But the fear that it could feel awkward and would not be fun to use is what potential customers scares away from the system.

If you spend a heavy amount of money on something you want to feel fully positive about it. If thinking about using the heavy tablet makes you feel negative, you will not buy it. And as everyone can see in the current sales data, people do not buy the Wii-U because they cannot imagine it could be fun to use the tablet controller.

Clearly, you are a walking, talking example of the result of Nintendo's failed marketing. As you have admitted yourself, those who have bought the Wii U end up liking the tablet. Nintendo seems to have relied on word of mouth this time around - an arrogant move in my opinion, but I can sort of understand it in a way, given the runnaway success of the Wii. Now they're hurting because of it, Iwata said three months ago that they're having to do something about the marketing side.

The current Wii-U owners are a very small and unimportant minority, they will like everything Nintendo does no matter how good or bad it is. If you want to be successful you need to get feedback from potential new customers instead. And this feedback will be devastating.

I agree with you that the feedback from the general masses who are ignorant of the Wii U will be devastating. So why do you post as though you are a part of the ignorant masses? You are on this site, among a community that is largely more informed than most. You are among people who are passionate enough about gaming and gaming consoles to do the research and follow the news. There are a fair number here who intend to purchase the Wii U in the future, based on their own research. They are therefore clearly not fazed by the perceived 'heavy' and 'inconvenient' tablet.

If you are a Nintendo fan, instead of fuelling the negativity through your own ignorance, do the research and get yourself an informed opinion, and I mean proper research, not pointing to ad-hoc links that fail to support your argument.

(quotes from your links, and comments have been bolded)

In the context of this thread's topic - I think retaining Iwata is a good thing - consistency is important during times of uncertainty. He's already talked about improving marketing strategies, and we are seeing some evidence of that already - (happy meals, the Mercedes Benz thing). He should be given the opportunity to see his plans through to turn things around.

Remember that George W. Bush was also re-elected. I mean he wasn't elected in the first place, but now I'm going off-topic.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

padib said:
ganoncrotch said:

I think most people are reacting badly because in his opinion they should throw out pretty much every aspect of the Wii-U it would be like going into a thread about the X1 and saying what they need to do with it would be change it to be 100euros and remove it's ability to play Xboxone games and make it a 360, because Xbox360s sold so that would be the way forwards, do you not think that would... while technically being correct as a statement would just be a slap in the face to the company as a whole and is just writing off their newest console.

Iwata has a battle ahead of him to sell the wii-u to people and to make it appealing to them, but massive leaps backwards is not the way to go, for casual gamers the only difference between the Wii and Wii-U is that tablet, they literally couldn't give a toss what resolution their version of angry birds trilogy is running at, you can't expect non gamers to seek the same progressional upgrades that gamers do when it comes to technology.

As for the bold part of what you said, if you're referring to me as a part of that horde I think I've spent maybe 1hour on my 3ds over the last 2 months since getting PSN+ on my vita and my Wii watches sadly as I beat the life outta people in UltraStreetfighter4... sorry bit ranty but I'm not a fan of my posts being written off as nintendo fanboyism when I'd personally love if the 3DS stopped violating my beloved Vita worldwide :D I just reactly badly to his posts because I thought they were rubbish, sorry if it came off as fanboy defense to you.

:) It didn't. I meant a hoard of  Nintendo fans and users who may or may not be Nintendo fans (like you). :P I'm aware you're a PC gamer mostly.

Your didn't come off as ranty, it was just to me a post that added to the Nintendo pileup and was the most sensible answer so I chose to answer to you and not burningmylight.

Ah I understand you, just kinda hard to find a place to pop your head into a public stoning more or less.

While I'm on it a load I do just kinda own 1 PC game tho lol, World of Warcraft maybe 400+ games between the PS3/360 and Wii then around 40 for the vita (not including digital games) and maybe 70+ 3ds games at this stage, I just fucking love games lol.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

prayformojo said:
burning_phoneix said:
prayformojo said:

NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube. What do these have in common? They were platforms that could produce games at, or beyond the competition at the time of their release. Do you know who was in charge and responsible for their release? Yamauchi.

Wii and Wii-U. What do these two consoles have in common? They are platforms that can't produce games at or beyond the competition. Do you know who was in charge and responsible for their release? Iwata.

I respect Iwata and admire him as a developer/producer. He helped create some of the best Nintendo games of all time. But as a president? I grew up in the 80's. I am a child of the 80's. My mother bought me my first console in 1986 and it was an NES. The Nintendo I grew up with had a different boss and as such, a completely different way of doing things. I liked THAT Nintendo's philosophy/hardware/software better as did the general CORE GAMING public. The NES and SNES are legend. The N64 was home to GAMES of legend.

Will we say the same for Wii-U in thirty years? I don't think so. So imo, Nintendo needs someone new at the helm. We need someone who has guts and takes risks. Someone more cutthroat like Mr. Yamauchi.

What I read:

"Nintendo needs someone who has guts and takes risks by doing exactly what the better-funded competitors are doing. Innovation!"

You know what Iwata was responsible for? Nintendo's most succesful period of all time.

You know what Yamauchi was responsible for? Nintendo declining generation after generation in sales. The "CORE GAMING PUBLIC" you so love abandoned Nintendo wholesale when the N64 was launched. Nintendo became the "kiddie" company and Sony/MS were the "cool" places to be.

Then Nintendo decided to ignore a demographic that abandoned them and suddenly all of them start crying "NINTENDO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT CORE GAMERS! WHY DON'T THEY MAKE GAMES LIKE S/NES,N64 AND GAMECUBE ANYMORE?!" when they were the same people laughing at Mario Sunshine and Zelda WW being "kiddie gay shit"

Nothing you just said argues against my original point. The games that released between NES-N64 are some of the most innovative, industry changing pieces of software and art ever released. Artistically, Yamauchi's Nintendo was superior in everyway. So much so, that Iwata's Nintendo can do nothing but feed off it. 

What would the new Nintendo games be if they didn't have the same iconic soundtracks of the 80's and 90's? What would Nintendo of today look like if they couldn't use the franchises CREATED during the Yamauchi era? What if Iwata's Nintendo had to create their own legacy from the ground up in a hostile envoriment like we have today in the way Yamauchi had to when the indstury crashed? 

Yamauchi's era was about innovation and creating experiences that literally changed the entire industry permanently. The Nintendo of the 80's and 90's was about forward thinking and vision. It was about taking huge risks. It was about spending large amounts of money on those risks. It was about foresight and attitude. 

Iwata doesn't seem to want any part of that. He seems more than happy with the status quo and treading water. 

Yamauchi's last consoles were the Gameboy Advance and GameCube, did they advance the industry? Then look at the Wii and DS and how they changed the way we interface with games. Every single portable gaming console and smartphone have touchscreens now.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Aren't they getting him for 50% off?

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

zorg1000 said:
burning_phoneix said:
prayformojo said:
burning_phoneix said:
prayformojo said:

NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube. What do these have in common? They were platforms that could produce games at, or beyond the competition at the time of their release. Do you know who was in charge and responsible for their release? Yamauchi.

Wii and Wii-U. What do these two consoles have in common? They are platforms that can't produce games at or beyond the competition. Do you know who was in charge and responsible for their release? Iwata.

I respect Iwata and admire him as a developer/producer. He helped create some of the best Nintendo games of all time. But as a president? I grew up in the 80's. I am a child of the 80's. My mother bought me my first console in 1986 and it was an NES. The Nintendo I grew up with had a different boss and as such, a completely different way of doing things. I liked THAT Nintendo's philosophy/hardware/software better as did the general CORE GAMING public. The NES and SNES are legend. The N64 was home to GAMES of legend.

Will we say the same for Wii-U in thirty years? I don't think so. So imo, Nintendo needs someone new at the helm. We need someone who has guts and takes risks. Someone more cutthroat like Mr. Yamauchi.

What I read:

"Nintendo needs someone who has guts and takes risks by doing exactly what the better-funded competitors are doing. Innovation!"

You know what Iwata was responsible for? Nintendo's most succesful period of all time.

You know what Yamauchi was responsible for? Nintendo declining generation after generation in sales. The "CORE GAMING PUBLIC" you so love abandoned Nintendo wholesale when the N64 was launched. Nintendo became the "kiddie" company and Sony/MS were the "cool" places to be.

Then Nintendo decided to ignore a demographic that abandoned them and suddenly all of them start crying "NINTENDO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT CORE GAMERS! WHY DON'T THEY MAKE GAMES LIKE S/NES,N64 AND GAMECUBE ANYMORE?!" when they were the same people laughing at Mario Sunshine and Zelda WW being "kiddie gay shit"

Nothing you just said argues against my original point. The games that released between NES-N64 are some of the most innovative, industry changing pieces of software and art ever released. Artistically, Yamauchi's Nintendo was superior in everyway. So much so, that Iwata's Nintendo can do nothing but feed off it. 

What would the new Nintendo games be if they didn't have the same iconic soundtracks of the 80's and 90's? What would Nintendo of today look like if they couldn't use the franchises CREATED during the Yamauchi era? What if Iwata's Nintendo had to create their own legacy from the ground up in a hostile envoriment like we have today in the way Yamauchi had to when the indstury crashed? 

Yamauchi's era was about innovation and creating experiences that literally changed the entire industry permanently. The Nintendo of the 80's and 90's was about forward thinking and vision. It was about taking huge risks. It was about spending large amounts of money on those risks. It was about foresight and attitude. 

Iwata doesn't seem to want any part of that. He seems more than happy with the status quo and treading water. 

You actually haven't addressed anything that I said and just reiterated your points or introduced spurious new ones.

Franchises created during the Yamauchi era? You mean the era they started in without any franchises at all?

You're absolutely comparing two things that CAN NOT BE COMPARED: A new startup company with the same company but 30 years down the road.

You act like the Wii and the DS, one  system with motion controls and the other a system that DITCHED the most succesful name in gaming (Gameboy) as "status quo" and "treading water"

Your message is clear: Nintendo should focus on graphical upgrades every generation and DO EXACTLY the same thing hardware-wise the competition is doing....because that's "forward thinking" in your book.

Yamauchi had to create videogames in a "hostile" environment? You mean an enviroment where every other major competitor went out of business and they were free for 1-2 years to develop a system?

You know that Yamauchi's "cutthroat" tactics are why Nintendo have had 3rd party troubles to this day? You know that Yamauchi's "guts" is what caused Sony to enter the market, shattering Nintendo's dominance that was only recaptured when Iwata came to the helm? You know that Yamauchi's "vision" had the N64 still using expensive cartridges when the entire industry went to discs? Or Yamauchi's vision that straddled the GCN with tiny Mini-DVDs instead of the better regular DVDs?

I love Yamauchi. He's rightfully a legend in the game industry but to claim that he was perfect while Iwata, a man who presided over Nintendo's most succesful era of all time, is a poor CEO by using spurious comparisons is a weak argument. Both presided over Nintendo at VERY different times in the industry and very different situations were presented to them.

Excellent points, Prayformojo has never been very good at arguing tho, he once told me Wii was casual but NES wasnt and used games like Duck Hunt to prove his point.

There is a difference in being "good" at arguing and choosing to argue every single point every single person makes. When I was young, I'd fight all wars on all fronts spending hours of my day arguing my position until I was mentally drained. Day after day, month after month, year after year. But the lesson I learned from this is that %99.9999999999 of the time, the person you're arguing with either isn't intelligent enough to listen and absorb what you're saying, or they simply don't want to because they're not interested in learning, opening their mind or having a rational conversation. Most people are biased and their only motive is go online and push it down people's throats. I'm not interested in that. I'm also not stupid enough to waste my time on those people anymore. 

It's easy to tell which people are open to other people's thoughts and which ones aren't. 

burning_phoneix said:

Yamauchi had to create videogames in a "hostile" environment? You mean an enviroment where every other major competitor went out of business and they were free for 1-2 years to develop a system?

You know that Yamauchi's "guts" is what caused Sony to enter the market, shattering Nintendo's dominance that was only recaptured when Iwata came to the helm? You know that Yamauchi's "vision" had the N64 still using expensive cartridges when the entire industry went to discs? Or Yamauchi's vision that straddled the GCN with tiny Mini-DVDs instead of the better regular DVDs?

While your overall point has merit, I feel compelled to point out the flaws in the quoted segments. For the first paragraph, I'm hard pressed to name an environment that is more hostile than one where everyone else had gone bankrupt, and retailers were treating the entire area as toxic. This is like saying it should be easy to run a shop in Antartica, seeing as how there's no competition.

Yamauchi's guts had nothing to do with Sony entering gaming. I'm not sure what the argument would be. Yamauchi's vision had nothing to do with the N64 using cartridges: that would be Sony's doing. As for the mini-DVDs, I'm not super clear on what makes regular DVDs any better.

Hopefully he does a better job with the Wii U from now on.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile