By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can GTAIV Stop Wii from Catching Xbox 360 in the Americas ?

"Can GTAIV Stop Wii from Catching Xbox 360 in the Americas ?"
It can't stop it, it can slow it for month or two

@Gamerace

It is pretty guaranteed that MKWii will be delayed in U.S., just like Brawl was in Europe (G'DAMN), to the fall because Nintendo won't open new printing factory/factories, even though in near future they will anyway to open new ones. G'DAMN.

@Dodece
"The Grand Theft Auto series has a greater brand recognition then Brawl. "

Perhaps only because off installbase:
GC: 12,7 million consoles / 4,0 million SSBM sold
Ps2: 47,3 million consoles / 8,2 million GTA:SA sold/GTA:VC 8,2 million sold/6,5 GTA3's sold (and how many of those have been bought by same customer ? )

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Around the Network

i dont think you realize that nintendo has been stock piling wiis for quite some time now. and that means that on the release date of brawl nintendo will sell about a billion copies in NA. or like 500k, either one. for you to assume that the wii will only sell 75 more wiis on the week of brawl is quite foolish and insulting to the wii.

the nintendo wii will outsell the ps3 and the 360 combined by the end of 2008.                           

PS3 will out sell the 360 june 2010.                                                                      

GOTY of 2008 is super smash brothers brawl.... hopefully.

END OF 08 PREDICTIONS:

Wii: 45 million         xbox360: 26 million       PS3: 19 million (made beginning of 08)

wii: 44 million         xbox 360: 24 million      PS3: 21 million (made june 08)

wii code: 8094-5344-2140-1400

brawl code: 5412-9565-3232   

ministaff said:
i dont think you realize that nintendo has been stock piling wiis for quite some time now. and that means that on the release date of brawl nintendo will sell about a billion copies in NA. or like 500k, either one. for you to assume that the wii will only sell 75 more wiis on the week of brawl is quite foolish and insulting to the wii.

Unless, of course, they are holding back stock in order to exactly meet their shipment predictions, and then release them in the next fiscal year for larger numbers (which look good to investors).  You know, like they did last year.

Seeing that they are holding back units and assuming you know *why* they are holding back units isn't that great an idea.  There are many reasons they could be holding back units, and yours is but one.  There are no guarantees. 

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

SSBB + MKWii + Wii Fit = sales to the end of the universe
In conclusion all of this titles are bigger than anything in this world.

I don't think the Wii will pass it in June. Tha seems a bit early. Maybe in Q4 08.

Around the Network

I don't know if the Wii has a chance to pass the 360 in June but the difference between the two has been reduced to 1.44 millions (02/27).

alpha_dk said:
ministaff said:

Unless, of course, they are holding back stock in order to exactly meet their shipment predictions, and then release them in the next fiscal year for larger numbers (which look good to investors).  You know, like they did last year.

Seeing that they are holding back units and assuming you know *why* they are holding back units isn't that great an idea.  There are many reasons they could be holding back units, and yours is but one.  There are no guarantees. 

so you're saying that the week of brawl, nintendo will not have a large increase to sales in America. I think that they will because it seems like a very smart move, for nintendo not to do that would be very bad for them, but i could be wrong, you put up a good point but i disagree with it. if you are right then i will admit defeat.

the nintendo wii will outsell the ps3 and the 360 combined by the end of 2008.                           

PS3 will out sell the 360 june 2010.                                                                      

GOTY of 2008 is super smash brothers brawl.... hopefully.

END OF 08 PREDICTIONS:

Wii: 45 million         xbox360: 26 million       PS3: 19 million (made beginning of 08)

wii: 44 million         xbox 360: 24 million      PS3: 21 million (made june 08)

wii code: 8094-5344-2140-1400

brawl code: 5412-9565-3232   

@The Source

Let me say this Source, and I think it simplifies it a little too much, so take it with a grain of salt:

The Wii, at this point, in the Americas has nowhere to go, due to supply constraint. Assuming that analysis is correct, and the trend continues, the only control Nintendo has over the time period in which is passes the 360, is shipment amounts.

The 360, on the other hand, has so many variables that are unknown(as I think you oversimplified them in your original post). New SKU, probably price drop, adoption rate of the console with GTA, supply issues, and the possible but unlikely delay of GTA.

So, the obvious answer is we don't have enough information to analize this correctly, but we can make several assumptions:

1. If the 360 has a price drop, or a new SKU, to coincide with the GTA launch at a point earier than May, we're likely to see vastly increased 360 sales in the Americas.

2. If Reggie claims the Wii will surpass the 360 by June, it indicates that he predicts increased Wii shipments month over month, from January NPD.

I wouldn't believe that the Wii would pass the 360 by August, were it not for Reggies confidence in his statement.

My trust isn't in the man himself, as much as my assumption that he must be privy to information that we are not.

Either way, I think its safe to assume that Nintendo wouldn't lower the price of its system for something as petty as besting the 360 in NA. I think that the fact is clear, the Wii will not offer a price cut until it is able to meet demand in all three major markets.

That said, I realize your theorization was on HOW the Wii could pass the 360 and not a prediction.

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading it.

Final thing, the Wii does have one big 3rd party console pusher in 08, but its only for Japan, in the form of Monster Hunter 3. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Soriku said:
I think GTA IV might delay Wii sales for about 2 weeks, but that's probably the extent of it.

I think Wii and 360 sales are mutually exclusive.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.