By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can GTAIV Stop Wii from Catching Xbox 360 in the Americas ?

Xyrax said:

TheSource said:

Beyond Smash and Wii Fit, what does Nintendo have that is of big sales importance?

This is the precise location of your error.

You still think Wii needs amazing games to drive the hardware. What drove it for the first 8 months of last year? The Wii hasnt ever NEEDED huge games to drive sales. What game pushed 500k Wii's in September vs Halo 3?

Wii will absorb GTA4 the same way it absorbed Halo 3. And a 360 exclusive will have far more effect on the 360's hardware sales than a game thats also available on the PS3.

I mostly agree with this, but I want to clarify one thing about it.  IMO, it's not that the Wii "doesn't need games" to drive sales.  It's that the supply has never caught up with the demand, given the games that it already has.  That is, the Wii right now is selling strong based on Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Galaxy, etc., all the big titles it already has.  Games typically do not bump console sales for long periods of time, but consoles are usually not still sold out every Sunday morning over a year after their release.

Every console needs big games to sell well.  It's just that the demand for the Wii's current library hasn't yet been used up, so it doesn't need new big games to continue selling like gangbusters.  And just in case demand is close to being met (we don't really know how much demand is out there), there's still Brawl, Kart, and Wii Fit coming to create new demand.  Don't expect a significant decline in Wii sales for a long time.

Around the Network

At this point in time, we have no idea what is planned for the end of 2008. We didn't even have the slightest detail about Wii Fit until summer 2007, no release dates or anything. Nintendo does not need to hype distant future releases as it dominates the present.

GTAIV cannot stop the Wii catching up, it will only delay it.

My question is, if the Wii does get slowed down/stopped by GTAIV, can it gain momentum back? It was never its lineup that made it stand out, and while girls who never played before, small children, and grannies might still be attracted by the Wii, Im wondering if the Wii could come back from a few slow months and rise back to the #1 monthly seller spot.

Without pure hype, im saying, can what the Wii offers take it back from a slow month and launch it back to the top? GTAIV for me will finally answer the fad or dominant force question for me. Right now, it looks like the Wii just got it all right, but if the world falls in love with GTAIV it will be interesting to see if the Wii can win the attention back.

Around the Network

Nah, Smash, WiiFit and Mario Kart are all really big games! Possibly even bigas GTA4. Although GTA4 will have a better opening than Wiifit and possibly Mario Kart! Smash sales week 1 will be through the roof though! And i hope Nintendo ships a hell of alot of Wii's!

THE NETHERLANDS

Nothing can stop the Wii now!

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Have you looked at the list of games coming out for the Wii in 2008? The Wii will definitely pass the 360 in sales soon enough.

I usually enjoy reading what TheSource has to say, but this is the worst analysis I have EVER seen him do.

#1- The Wii does not NEED SSBB or WiiFit right now.. It is still sold out EVERYWHERE

#2- Where did he get those numbers from?

#3- The Wii is sold out demand and sky high. Nintendo could dump all the 1.5 million difference at once and it would sell in a week or two... DEMAND is that high.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.