By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can GTAIV Stop Wii from Catching Xbox 360 in the Americas ?

well i think ninty will ship much more wiis thats why regiie said by june

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Reggie said it will be so by June. The man has NEVER been wrong!!!

Also, did Halo 3 stop Wii from passing on a WW or Others? GTAIV is simply a speed bump.

Xyrax said:

TheSource said:

Beyond Smash and Wii Fit, what does Nintendo have that is of big sales importance?

This is the precise location of your error.

You still think Wii needs amazing games to drive the hardware. What drove it for the first 8 months of last year? The Wii hasnt ever NEEDED huge games to drive sales. What game pushed 500k Wii's in September vs Halo 3?

Wii will absorb GTA4 the same way it absorbed Halo 3. And a 360 exclusive will have far more effect on the 360's hardware sales than a game thats also available on the PS3. 

I really think Xyrax had the best post in this thread, so I'll repeat it for emphasis here.

To answer some of the questions posted here, Nintendo hasn't dramatically increased shipments in February because they're already on target to meet their shipping goals for this fiscal year. Our old hands should remember how Nintendo lowballed everything in March 07, for the exact same reason. In April of last year, the Wii supply suddenly jumped upwards by about 300k per month worldwide. I expect we'll see exactly the same thing this year, with the wildcard thrown in of the Smash Brothers release in March. Nintendo will HAVE to have extra stock on hand for that, right?

Generally speaking, Nintendo's PR men avoid making outrageous pronunciations, so I'm giving Reggie the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

I don't think 360 has a chance in America against Wii, I'm not sure if it will be passed by June but this year is a 99% yes.

Europe however will be tough for Wii, because GTA is just as huge, if not huger here than in US, and the PS3 is much more a rival to the Wii than the 360 is in USA.

I just joking but if Microsoft doesn't start supplying more x-boxes there won't be an issue at all. JK

I think it will slow it for a week or 2 or 3 but it won't stop it.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Around the Network

It would be smart to make Mario Kart a holiday title but I have trouble seeing how Nintendo could justify delaying it for such a long time. The game is near complete isn't it? I am hoping Nintendo plays some other cards other than Kart for Christmas.

I think it may slow it up but I'm not sure GTA IV will drive that many extra 360 sales. After GOW, Bioshock and Halo 3 how many people are left in US without a 360 who will buy one because of GTA IV? I can't believe its enough to seriously slow Wii down in overtaking 360 sometime around June/July (assuming that WiiFit and SSBB drive a reasonable increase for Wii, which seems likely).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

If Nintendo wants to beat 360 sales in America it will happen, the only thing that can stop it is $100 price cut on all 360 models, as soon as possible.

sorry, but horrible conclusion OP

it's SUPPLY, not DEMAND that is stopping the Wii from catching the 360...so PRICE CUT wouldn't help

they can already sell AT LEAST 30million wiis at 250 this year if they had the stock, but they don't have the stock

price cut will do nothing for sales since they are already sold out

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Astrodust said:
It would be smart to make Mario Kart a holiday title but I have trouble seeing how Nintendo could justify delaying it for such a long time. The game is near complete isn't it? I am hoping Nintendo plays some other cards other than Kart for Christmas.

Mario Kart is confirmed for APRIL in everywhere but Americas....so it won't be a holiday title

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp