By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can GTAIV Stop Wii from Catching Xbox 360 in the Americas ?

YES ....

for 1 or 2 weeks, at best.

Time to Work !

Around the Network

*sigh* Oh boy, here we go again??

Why does everyone assume that if the Wii's sales lower to where that 360 is outselling it in one region, that price of the Wii will be lowered to increase sales. The 360 has been out for TWO years, where the Wii is still getting its feet wet. Nintendo can do so much more to the Wii instead of lowering the price FIFTY BUCKS. They can release bundles, colors, accessories, etc. with the console BEFORE they even consider a $25 price cut. And why all of a sudden does the Wii reaches its peak in the summer of this year?

Microsoft has done almost everything it can do with its 360 attempt and it has has done well in its 2 years being out on the market but after 2008....what will Microsoft do to the 360 then?

Lets face it! Microsoft is pretty much done for in this generation and all they can do is decrease price and add as many exclusive games as possible.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

TheSource said:

Beyond Smash and Wii Fit, what does Nintendo have that is of big sales importance?

This is the precise location of your error.

You still think Wii needs amazing games to drive the hardware. What drove it for the first 8 months of last year? The Wii hasnt ever NEEDED huge games to drive sales. What game pushed 500k Wii's in September vs Halo 3?

Wii will absorb GTA4 the same way it absorbed Halo 3. And a 360 exclusive will have far more effect on the 360's hardware sales than a game thats also available on the PS3. 

@ Xyrax You are right in that the Wii doesn't need more big games because it had Wii Sports and Wii Play in the first part of 07. Those games will still be bigger 2 years from now than most new and shiny PS3 or 360 games whether most of us gamer nerds want to admit it or not. With the addition of Mario and Sonic and Super Mario Galaxy plus Mario Kart, Wii Fit, and Brawl, the Wii should remain sold out in America all year.

If Nintendo releases more Wiis in America, Reggie will be correct.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Absolutely not. If GTAIV was 360 exclusive, then possibly for a couple months, but not since the ps3 owners are getting it too.

Nintendo's worst enemy right now is themselves. They are wasting wonderful opportunities to leave the competition in the dust because of MAJOR supply issues. As the world goes towards HD, the wii may begin to lose SOME momentum. And, even if it doesn't, they are still pissing away a golden opportunity to land knockout punches.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

I expect Nintendo has already increased production or in the process of doing so, but we won't see any additional units (and probably not even the full 1.8 production numbers) until after this fiscal is done. They're already in line to hit their numbers despite raising them, what? three times?

Brawl will be adequately supplied, but otherwise they'll have modest overall shipments (for Wii) but then come April, we should see a permanent increase in shipments.

Wii Fit will be enormous. Reggie already said it'll be their biggest marketing push of the year (bigger than Brawl and I've seen lots of ads for that plus competitions, etc.). They'll be doing the morning shows and likely the holy grail of women's advertising, a spot on Oprah (everyone in the audience gets a free Wii & WiiFit!! Yea!! reports papers the next day)

Gamers wanting brawl will camp out for a Wii if they have too, health conscious women (and men) wanting WiiFit will not, so Nintendo needs to make sure there's a huge surge in units to meet the demand for WiiFit.

The other factor is MarioKart. That'll also be huge. No date has been given for NA, but since Japan/Europe are launching simultaneously, theres a high likelihood it will in NA too. Unless Brawl sales are TOO high, and Reggie realizes they can't supply Brawl, MK and WiiFit adequately, then expect MK to be delayed in NA.

As for GTAIV, I do expect MS will advertise this heavily (I see lots of DMC4 ads making it look like a 360 exclusive - expect the same for GTAIV). I do expect they'll get the biggest boost from it. But even with a $50 price cut, it's still above the mass market price and that will curtail GTAIV sales. Also, while many parents let their kids play GTA3 I don't think that'll happen with GTAIV considering the voilence factor is much more realistic and graphic.

Therefore I doubt GTAIV will ever see GTA3 sales. For sure it'll boost 360 hw sales. There's no question about that, PS3's too. But enough to counter SSBB, WiiFit, increased shipments and possibly MK??

No chance.

The only thing that can save MS from being past in June is an insufficient number of Wiis in stores.

It will only slow down the Wii taking over the 360 in America. If there is a price drop on the 360, then I see the Wii outselling it after June.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I can't help but wonder what's going on with Nintendo's production. Nintendo should be selling more than 400,000 units per week world wide, on average. We can assume peaks and valleys will occur due to shipment granularity, stock held by stores, etc, but Nintendo is averaging significantly less than expected.

In January, it was safe to assume Nintendo's shipment pipeline had to spend about 4 weeks in recovery from units being shipped via air to increase Christmas supply.

Now we're looking at the middle of February still with lower than expected supply. What's the deal -- is Nintendo with holding stock for Smash and Fit? That would seem odd.