By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Indies, third-party games are increasingly Vita's focus moving forward

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/18/5820824/indies-third-party-games-are-vitas-focus-moving-forward

Now that the PlayStation 4 is setting the bar for what gamers expect from a PlayStation experience, Sony is beginning to look more toward indies, third-party developers and Remote Play to deliver gaming to the Vita, Shuhei Yoshida told Polygon in a recent interview.

And that's not exactly surprising, he added.

"When we launched PSP titles, a big talking point was PS2-quality games in your hands," Yoshida said. "It was an amazing experience to play PS2-quality like Twisted Metal on your portable device. But as time went on and the PS3 launched and people started to see next-gen games, that PS2 quality was not enough. People's expectations for the quality just moved on.

"So when we launched the Vita with Uncharted, it was amazing; PS3-like quality in your palm, but as time moved on, you are seeing PS4 quality and people's expectations for the graphic fidelity has gone up."

Yoshida said as graphics become less of a "talking point" for the Vita, the focus on what they want to put on the portable platform shifted.

"It's very fortunate that the indie boom happened and they are providing lots of great content to Vita," he said. " Gameplay, game mechanic wise, people want to spend 10 minutes, 15 minutes getting in and out. On Vita, it's great with suspended functionality, so these indie games really great for that from a game design standpoint.

"Instead of watching big stories or cinematics, you can spend hours on Vita. So, I think that's actually the biggest star to help provide great content to Vita going forward. And we continue to make games cross-platform games, especially on digital side."

Do you think the Vita then will be getting fewer first-party games, I asked.

"I would say, yes, that's correct," Yoshida said.

Third-party developers are still tweaking how they bring big games to the portable. When Borderlands 2 came to the Vita, for instance, many people were annoyed by the controls, which in-part relied on the back touch pad.

Yoshida loved the game but wasn't a fan of those controls, and tweeted out the day of the game's release that players could customize the way they played on the portable.

"I love what they did," he said. "Comparing that to the PS3 experience,  I don't think that should be the point. It's a very, very deep and enjoyably fun game, and I'm having fun playing with a new character I missed on PS3 because it included most of the DLC. So I think they did a great job."

"I tweeted immediately when it came out you can remap the controls from the back touch," he added. Then Yoshida turned to Adam Boyes, vice president of publisher and developer relations, who was in the interview as well and added: "My complaints to your team is, why didn't you make it the default?"

Boyes said his team has since created a system for developers to use the touch on Vita and reassign the mapping, but that it wasn't available at launch.

"So some games like Infamous already do that, put everything on the front touchscreen because the front is easier to reach," he said.

The ability to tweak the way a game is controlled on the Vita is becoming increasingly important with the ability to play PlayStation 4 games through Remote Play.

Yoshida said Remote Play has also taken a little bit of pressure off of Sony to make first-party Vita games.

But Sony seems not to be completely capitalizing on the functionality. There hasn't been much of an advertising push about the service, I tell Yoshida. Could there be an official PS4 and Vita bundle coming?

Yoshida said that some European retailers released an unofficial bundle that packaged the two systems together, but nothing from Sony, at least not yet.

"Never say never," he said. "In the past, we did something like Bravia TV and PS3 bundle, so that's even bigger. So never say never.

"We are super excited about how people are using it. We are bringing PS TV with that feature and the tech teams are constantly working to improve the experience as well. It's a Gaiki team who's tech is provided. You are on a streaming service, so the basic tech is the same whether it's PS Now or Remote Play, and latency is super important. So we will continue to provide more utility to Vita as a PS4 companion device as well as PS Now terminal."

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

"We are super excited about how people are using it. 

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

"Do you think the Vita then will be getting fewer first-party games, I asked.

"I would say, yes, that's correct," Yoshida said."

There you have it folks.  From Sony's mouth that they don't give two shits about the Vita.  Anyone who doesn't have one.  Ignore the system because you'll just be throwing money away.

I think the next portable Sony releases, if they do release one, is going to bomb harder than the Vita, because people are going to be wary about purchasing it again when they can't count on Sony giving the system they've purchased for hundreds of dollars any support other than cheap indie games that are usually poor experiences.  If they do release another, I'm going to wait until there's a minimum of 10 games that are true exclusives that I'm interested in.

^^I lol'd

You make a great point there, they're really being pretty direct about the whole "the Vita is just a companion device for streaming games* and playing indie titles with the occasional good third-party support"

The thing is most third-party non-indie support is either in the form of like visual novels or JRPGs (which are cool and all but have very limited appeal and can get boring when that's all you got) or stuff like "let's re-release a game that came out a while ago for the Vita, maybe with some updates" (Borderlands 2, Child of Light, Persona 4, etc.). I'm not saying this is all bad but people crave certain things and they should be wary of the consequences of not trying to... satisfy those cravings.

*As far as I know most people don't even find this useful... it *sounds* good, especially with PS4 (apparently remote play for PS3 only works for some games or something, I tried it once but don't remember the details, only that it wouldn't let me play Tales of Xillia) but I haven't actually heard of people taking advantage of it a lot or treating it like a great selling point or anything *shrug*

kupomogli said:

There you have it folks.  From Sony's mouth that they don't give two shits about the Vita.  Anyone who doesn't have one.  Ignore the system because you'll just be throwing money away.

well, that really sound sad for western players, lucky i play most japanese games on Vita which doesn't seems its a no-games device... 

Around the Network

"So when we launched the Vita with Uncharted, it was amazing; PS3-like quality in your palm, but as time moved on, you are seeing PS4 quality and people's expectations for the graphic fidelity has gone up."

It almost sounds like they think the Vita was ever successful to begin with, that this strategy really paid off at first.

^^don't take this the wrong way but you are the exception

I have a Japanese Vita game too and will likely get a couple more but it is not at all a selling point that there are niche games in a foreign language available to Westerners via region-lock (not to mention that stuff like the PSN kinda *are* region-locked making it difficult to download DLC and such without certain hassles...)

EDIT: Also, most of the games don't even look like PS3 quality to me >_>; maybe super low-end PS3 quality... the Vita is capable but it is not some kind of graphics beast and I don't think that it needs to be, it's a handheld, the 3DS is not a graphics beast by any stretch of the means and it is still pretty awesome :|

Chandler said:

No wonder the Vita is doing well in Japan.....

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

kupomogli said:

I think the next portable Sony releases, if they do release one, is going to bomb harder than the Vita, because people are going to be wary about purchasing it again when they can't count on Sony giving the system they've purchased for hundreds of dollars any support other than cheap indie games that are usually poor experiences.  If they do release another, I'm going to wait until there's a minimum of 10 games that are true exclusives that I'm interested in.

No Kupo... there is no next time for Sony. Ps Vita is their last gaming portable device, and it's for the better.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
kupomogli said:

No Kupo... there is no next time for Sony. Ps Vita is their last gaming portable device, and it's for the better.

PSP

PSPGo

XPERIAPLAY

PSVita

They are freaking Done with a dedicated Game handheld, playstation Portable will be software and network software distribution onto smartphones and Tablets you want physical controls? Bluetooth Game Pads are going to be the Solution, I think Sony is fed up with it and for Good reason. Moving the Playstation Vita to be a Micro- Game Console gets the Playstation Vita as a platform out from under the Nintendo DEDICATED GAME HANDHELD Shadow! just look at this and other game boards about how many threads and talk about how dead the PSVita is vs the Nintendo handhelds..but Nvidia Shield, or Now how about the valve steamboy when it releases. and shows once again no other company can grow handheld market share against Nintendo in a sizeable chunk.

What Sony is doing about the platform is pretty Smart if no one is really set to give the system a chance developers and consumer's alike vs Nintendo, than atleast moving the platform to a Micro- Game console front atleast can gather the system some d@mn support as a Micro-playstation living room game console where Nintendo and Microsoft do not have a Micro-Living room game console..only real platform in the Micro Game console front with large sales numbers is the OUYA.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.