By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Indies, third-party games are increasingly Vita's focus moving forward

People always saying if you want play AAA play them on home console i would to them if i want indies i would play them on smartphone or computer

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

So Sony's basically given up on Vita. Can't say that's not a smart move at this point. They've one helluva dud on their hands. The question is, will they even bother with a new handheld next gen?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

kupomogli said:

There you have it folks.  From Sony's mouth that they don't give two shits about the Vita.  Anyone who doesn't have one.  Ignore the system because you'll just be throwing money away.

Easy now.. I'm enjoying my Vita more than any other console at the moment. If you look at this pic under "upcoming games" I'm looking forward to several of those titles. Full picture: https://futureconsole.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/ps-vita-never-stop-playing1.png

RolStoppable said:
One analyst called it:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=166037

That man is a visionary and a genius.

Cut your losses short and move on. The indies, third party and Japanese games will suffice. Not to mention cross buy, PS+ , PSTV and used as a PS4 peripheral.

The Library is great already and if people ignore indies than its their fault.

Releasing a LBP game or GT portable wont move much units and will hardly be worth the time and effort. Rather have them spend more time on the PS4 early on so we don't have PS3 situation again.

Right now the biggest hardware mover left for the Vita is getting it hacked and opening it up to piracy.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Do you seriously believe that there was nothing Sony could have done regarding the topic that the analyst addressed?

Like what exactly? Make it a Smartphone? People that want smartphones do not want bulky physical controls on the smartphone..thus with the PSPGo, xperia play and Now the PSVita is a wash! Three tries, Three times the majority of Consumers are playing on smartphones and Tablets. that means any left over consumers Sony would have to fight Nintendo for those very Consumers.. and when it comes to handhelds Nintendo has not been beaten ad the king of dedicated game handhelds in japan let alone in the rest of the world in over more than 20+ years, its not going to happen, So Sony did the most logical thing to do, work on the Unity Game Engine to be up and running and to release the playstation Vita in a market where they can market the platform New!

the Name of "Vita" was just as much of a problem to market as the cost of the storage card problem.. so taking it from a handheld to a Micro console is better from a "fesh new start" to market the system, and instead of the handheld market they are going for Apple's crown in the Streaming box platform. one of which is I think has a better of a chance to over come's Apple's lead in the streaming TV box area than keep trying to etch out a lil sliver of market share in dedicated handheld gameing when most of your 3rd party developers for handheld game development are in smartphones and tablets anyway. but atleast with the PSVita hardware being standard slightly tweaked Arm Core Chipset it can get support.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I didn't know it was actually possible for the Vita to have less first-party support than it already has.

Poor Vita.

Arius Dion said:
So Sony's basically given up on Vita. Can't say that's not a smart move at this point. They've one helluva dud on their hands. The question is, will they even bother with a new handheld next gen?

But if so why even release yet another PSVaita platform into the market if they have decided to "just give up on it"

thats the point, they are not giving up on the "Vita" as a platform they are just changing what the main part of the "Vita" market is made for. that still does not negate the existing PSVita's out there, it just means that now the Playstation TV will be the priority target for PSVita software development and the PSVita will be the port machine, but since they both have the same hardware on chip level its not a bad thing.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Way to point the obvious, Sony. We have already known this a long time ago...

Dark Chaos said:
Cut your losses short and move on. The indies, third party and Japanese games will suffice. Not to mention cross buy, PS+ , PSTV and used as a PS4 peripheral.

The Library is great already and if people ignore indies than its their fault.

Releasing a LBP game or GT portable wont move much units and will hardly be worth the time and effort. Rather have them spend more time on the PS4 early on so we don't have PS3 situation again.

Right now the biggest hardware mover left for the Vita is getting it hacked and opening it up to piracy.

Now we blame people for giving them what they don't want

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m