By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Miyamoto retire before he destroys his legacy?

Mystro-Sama said:

There no doubt he's revolutionised gaming in more ways than one but lately he's been releasing utter shit that's embarassing both himself and Nintendo. We thought that maybe Wii music was a one time misstep that could be forgiven but this year's E3 just has me utterly baffled.

Giant robot, which first of all looks like garbage level Wiiware, easily forgettable. Watching them stumble as they try to demonstrate how it works just shows how impractical it is. Then there project gaurd which looks any other tower defence game.

Then after all that he gives Star Fox the most halfassed revealed any game has ever gotten before. Even Sony treats their indies better than that. I won't shit on the motion controls (yet) because I don't know how it plays but honestly I won't expect much. It's sad to see such a loved franchise treated like this.

He's put in plenty of good work and I think the company would be safe if he decided to retire, there are plenty of talented guys there.

Thoughts?

I too felt that Project Giant Robot and to lesser degree Project Guard were terrible controls implementations. His problem is he is trying to justify use of Gamepad as a controller and make game around that... instead of making a fun game, and then using the controller in the best way possible for that game.

I don't think Starfox was shown. He must have realized it is a very poor showing after it was shown to some press, and then decided not to embarrass himself any more than Project Giant Robot and Project Guard already did.

Around the Network

You're saying because he showed 3 pre-Alpha games, he is in danger of destroying his legacy? Wut?

spemanig said:
I never thought I'd ever want Nintendo to not release a Star Fox game. Give it to someone else. Seriously. God please. Anyone else. He's going to kill the franchise. He's going to release a game that no one will buy, it won't sell, and they'll kill it off because they'll think it isn't financially viable.

No, Miyamoto. It's because no one what's your shit idea of a Star Fox game. Or the other two games. Nintendo should be embarrassed that they even showed that stuff off. The reaction to those games where not positive. I seriously hope they don't think its because it's "in alpha." They're literally shoehorning the gamepad in.

It was perfect. Just a map. All we needed was a map. The map was literally perfect in Wind Waker. A map would be perfect for the gamepad. A rear view mirror would have been perfect. Item switching. Anything else. Gyro aiming for co-op only? Fine. That's awesome. For single player? It's called a second analog stick.

At least one person gets it. The gamepad is a perfect map/inventory or off tv play. The problem occurs when they try to use all it's functions at once

Never said:

Are you objecting to the option you have to look at the bottom screen? I'm sure you won't need to look a the bottom screen every time you fire to see where you're shooting, unless you was firing at an extreme angle, particuly in the free flight sections.

All these things are we can debate but until we've played it seems a little arogant to assume it'll play like a disaster. I could imagie it playing very well if done proparly. In dogfighting games getting multiple angles to look around can be very helpful.

i'm not ruling anything out, I'm simply saying that from what we've heard so far, it sounds awful.

It's pretty much like seeing a Kinect game pre alpha. You know based off it's foundation it's almost guaranteed to be shit.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:

At least one person gets it. The gamepad is a perfect map/inventory or off tv play. The problem occurs when they try to use all it's functions at once

It's like the DS all over again, when they shoehorned everything into the games. Microphone. Touch screen. Everything. Now with the 3DS, the second screen is perfect. I don't want to hand held game without it. I don't care about Miyamoto's legacy. I care about Star Fox. Don't fuck up my Star Fox, Miyamoto.

Well he helped reinvent the Metroid series hopefully he does the same to Star Fox. I'm disappointed though that many of his new IPs after Pikmin are only tech demo worthy

I wasn't much interested in either of his games and Star Fox was just a tease of whats ahead so I'm not making any judgement until the final games are released.

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

What is he, a football player? Is MLG going to reject his application for the Hall of Game because he made Wii Music?

Read some Iwata asks interviews with Miyamoto in them. You may see Miyamoto in a different light.