Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Miyamoto retire before he destroys his legacy?

curl-6 said:
Never said:

Why does every gamer in a web forum think they speak for all gamers? I loved starfox but I also loved kid icarus: Uprising. I know how great on rail shooters can be when you can control the weapon and ship inderpendntly. If mayamoto has found a cool wway of doing this with the gamepad that's great in my book. I certainly wouldn't dissmiss it without giving it a go.

I'm confident that most gamers would prefer a traditional Starfox over the Gamepad gyro shenanigans described by Miyamoto.

Motion controls can be great if done right, but this doesn't sound "done right".

Really? Because it sounds to me like it would still control a lot like a tradional starfox game moving the ship around and presumably the weapon shooting a head of you but you could do acurate and interesting aiming with the gyro and gamepad screen on the fly.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

Greatness awaits...

Still waiting...

Well its not like the PS4 and XB1 are pumping out the greats either though...

Never said:

Really? Because it sounds to me like it would still control a lot like a tradional starfox game moving the ship around and presumably the weapon shooting a head of you but you could do acurate and interesting aiming with the gyro and gamepad screen on the fly.

Aiming with the gyro and looking at two screens at once sounds awkward as fuck.

If it was Wiimote and Nunchuk I'd be all for it, but the Gamepad has no pointer.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

KLXVER said:
curl-6 said:
KLXVER said:

Greatness awaits...

Still waiting...

Well its not like the PS4 and XB1 are pumping out the greats either though...

Indeed, I'd say the above image applies to the entire 8th gen, sadly.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

It was painful watching them try to demo Project Giant Robot on Treehouse. I was just shaking my head in embarrassment as they struggled to pull off the most basic actions, fighting the controls more than the enemies in the game.

Only real downside of an otherwise amazing E3 showing.

No way, dude.  That was the best thing I saw on Treehouse.  Watching those guys pretend they were having fun or even that they knew what was happening was hilarous.  I was stunned but I was also terribly, terribly amused.  It was kind of like that Kinect football demo from a few years ago, where it was so bad that it was good.

As for tarnishing his legacy, though, that's not going to happen.  Years from now, people will simply forget about the bad.  No one talks about Jordan's time with the Wizards, after all.  They should just let him make some eShop games until he retires.  Tell him to go experiment with stuff, see if he comes up with anything good.  His name alone will mean they are successful.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Never said:

Aiming with the gyro and looking at two screens at once sounds awkward as fuck.

If it was Wiimote and Nunchuk I'd be all for it, but the Gamepad has no pointer.

I didn't see it as needing to look at two screens at once. Youd be looking at the top screen for the bulk of the gameplay and glancing down at the bottom only when you want to do acurate aiming.

I was under the impression that his two projects were only projects and not new ips. They were merely shown to demonstrate Wii U capabilities.

Star Fox looked to be in very early stages of development so I'll wait before I judge.

The thing that worries me about the new Star Fox is that it will be episodic...

Never said:

I didn't see it as needing to look at two screens at once. Youd be looking at the top screen for the bulk of the gameplay and glancing down at the bottom only when you want to do acurate aiming.

That just sounds unnecessary though, why can't I just aim with a second analogue stick or the Wiimote pointer, and not need to keep looking down at the Gamepad? It sounds shoehorned in there to try and make the Gamepad feel necessary when it really isn't.

pokoko said:

As for tarnishing his legacy, though, that's not going to happen.  Years from now, people will simply forget about the bad.  No one talks about Jordan's time with the Wizards, after all.  They should just let him make some eShop games until he retires.  Tell him to go experiment with stuff, see if he comes up with anything good.  His name alone will mean they are successful.

I agree. I'm worried about the damage he could do to Starfox, not his legacy. He could kill the franchise for good.