By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PREDICTION: Destiny will sell 15+ million (across all platforms).

Pristine20 said:
No way that game was $500m. I just can't see Activision being that stupid. I personally don't think the game looks that good TBH (judging from alpha streams). Then again, I never liked Halo even when I had the original xbox.

they are spending a total of 500$ on the game. meaning marketing, production and all that. basically the marketing budget is what is bringing the number so high. they have big plans for the franchise in the future and are marketing a franchise and not a single game. they want the first one to be as big as possible so the sequels after it are huge too. its a huge gamble, one that seems like it will pay off though. 

Around the Network

Ig watch dogs did 2 million first week, this will do 3+

1st week 3.5/4m on PS4
This year 6/7m

LT all platforms, +25m

bananaking21 said:
Pristine20 said:
No way that game was $500m. I just can't see Activision being that stupid. I personally don't think the game looks that good TBH (judging from alpha streams). Then again, I never liked Halo even when I had the original xbox.

they are spending a total of 500$ on the game. meaning marketing, production and all that. basically the marketing budget is what is bringing the number so high. they have big plans for the franchise in the future and are marketing a franchise and not a single game. they want the first one to be as big as possible so the sequels after it are huge too. its a huge gamble, one that seems like it will pay off though. 

And since this game is setting the framework future games in the series won't cost near as much to produce.  It's a long term investment, any profit, or simply recouping their losses, would likely be viewed as a success by activision.

These predictions of less than 5 million week 1

Lolololololololololol

Around the Network

You know what, I think it can do 15m. Second biggest seller of the year behind COD.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Destiny will be the Biggest game this year.To add to that it will pass 10 million not sure about 15million though.

After playing just Alpha, I have no desire to play any CoD game.

The thing that I liked the most, is how glitch-free this game is. After BF 4 fiasco it's like a godsend...

bananaking21 said:
Pristine20 said:

I hope it works out for them but I just see it as extremely risky maybe because I just don't understand the appeal of an MMO-FPS. It really sucks that marketing costs so much. I wish more games could sell via word of mouth but I guess no game makes it to 10+m on word of mouth alone

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:

I hope it works out for them but I just see it as extremely risky maybe because I just don't understand the appeal of an MMO-FPS. It really sucks that marketing costs so much. I wish more games could sell via word of mouth but I guess no game makes it to 10+m on word of mouth alone

its an open world FPS, with a heavy co-op focus. they arent saying its an MMO because it isnt. the marketing is huge because activision wants it to be huge. it easily has a bigger marketing budget than CoD, BattleField and Assassin's Creed.