By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why exactly will PSTV Flop in the states?

Who exactly is this marketed towards? If I'm not a big gamer, why wouldn't I just buy an Apple TV which does quite a bit more? Why wouldn't I get a Chromecast for less than 50 bucks? If I'm a big gamer, why wouldn't I just spring for a PS3 (or more likely already have one)?

Around the Network

It's more of a direct competitor to the Apple TV's and Roku's of the world. Not to mention Chromecast etc... Not to mention that for what it's supposed to do, it's also competing against the PS4, PS3 etc...

It would have failed at E3 announcement, if it was called Vita TV. Now it will fail when people realize Playstation TV is a Vita that lacks portability and touch interface.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Since the Vita is doing soo well in the States (looks at NPD) and there aren't any competition like ChromeCast, Amazon's thing, Samsung's thing, Apple TV and etc... It is bound to do so well cause Sony loves the Vita brand so much (reads the Type-0 playstation blog and watches Sony's e3 where they bearly showed anything for a vita apart from a bunch of games no one cares about)

And just in case you did catch that I was being sarcastic... I was being sarcastic

But its 100$ cheaper than the Vita, that is definetly impusle buy territory. It can do everything its competitors can do and it can play ps1/ps2/ps3/psp/vita/and ps4(remote play) games. Its not the same thing as a Vita its not a handheld, its a microconsole.

And Sony would be stupid not to support it correctly, It has the potential to expand the PS ecosystem much wider than the PS4.

Many people said that about the Vita as well and what did Sony do... Didn't support it... And not to mention, Sony will push VR as well and I doubt Sony will be pushing the Vita TV more than or as much as VR... As for ps4 games... Well, I doubt thats in the impluse buy territory and same goes for ps3 games that are using Remote Play... And we don't know anything about the pricing of Playstation Now and the games Library at launch. As for ps1/ps2/psp games... Thats true but I somehow doubt that people are gonna buy it for that considering emulators are avaliable and free

But alright lets pretend none of that was an issue and it was all handy dandy... The other obstacle is Marketing cause lets face it, Casuals Love Samsung, Apple and Google more than Sony and they don't really care about the Vita at all so theres that and Gamers don't care about the Vita either judging by the sales so I doubt it will do well but who knows, maybe it will be successful... Maybe Sony will finally give us The Last Guardian... And maybe Half Life 3 will finally be announced

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The Vita is less popular in the states..... and it is flopping in Japan where it is more popular.... put two and two together.

Around the Network

PSTV != Vita

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I don't think it will sell because of the space it occupies is a little crowed by "bigger" names and those don't sell very well. Also the last time they tried something like this (taking a portable and doing something different) it didn't go well either. (PSP Go)

Pristine20 said:
1. Vita is dead in the states - Which is why it could be popular
2. It's useless to PS3/4 owners - I have a PS3 and PS4 and I pre-ordered the PSTV
3. It requires prior knowledge of good PS games. Anyone with said knowledge owns PS consoles already - I own every console except for the Vita because the Vita is the only PS console that can't connect to my TV.
4. It won't be advertised - Yeah, probably not
5. Too many PS branded products are relevant at present: PS2?/3/4/vita/portable and now TV. It's bound to get unnoticed by the casuals it targets with it's price thanks to all the PS jargon floating around - You can't say that the VIta is dead in your first point, and then say that it's relevant. You're contradicting yourself. The price point will make it stand out, especially during the holidays.
6. Portable games don't always work well on the big screen and it doensn't play all vita games - 95% work well enough just like all the PSP games. It's unfortunate that it can't play all the Vita games though.
7. PSNow is unproven, it could be a flop in of itself. - True.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Fusioncode said:
If Sony can advertise it right then I think it can do well. A cheap console to play Playstation games and watch Netflix. I'm sure there's a market for that.

This^

They need to advertise it to not to Gaming crowd but Roku, Apple TV, Cable Box crowd. Sell it up to them with the added benefit of also playing big games and connectivity with PS4. Allowing cheaper way to get TV Show/Movie Watching/Game Playing in EVERY room.

But if Sony does what they did with Vita (IE: nothing) then yes.... it will flop.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Nintentacle said:
It will fail because It's the Vita: The worst-selling 8th gen system.

Ouya says hi.