By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why exactly will PSTV Flop in the states?

vita library is bad pstv is worst it will flop just like in japan

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
aLkaLiNE said:
Has anyone here read the wiki for PSTV? There's a few interesting things to be said for Sonys intention for this microconsole.

First, it seems to be part of a strategic plan that will allow the rest of the non Playstation Now certified HDTV's to stream games. (In other words, it will be PSNow capable).

Second, it will be used in China because of the lift on the console ban and I think this may just be the smartest way to penetrate that market, where price will be a huge factor in success.

I think this thing could be a fantastic alternative to spending money on a Vita, and soon the PS3. It could make all that obsolete. If I was a consumer jumping ship from my own brand to join Sony, a PS4 and PSTV would be the ultimate combo to access the expanding library of PSN games.

What's else, if they pursue contracts from Networks and allow access to Netflix, Hulu+, Pandora etc then this would make it have a critical edge over other streaming box tops offered by Amazon or Google. I think the quality discrepancy between the Play Store and PlayStation Store would make this choice obvious.

I really think they should have done the contracts before selling. I mean, Netflix, Hulu+ and PS Now from the beginning would be a great offer, but it will be a lot harder if most things comes after a 6 months long flop.

It's quite possible the playstation tv is not an ambitious project. Create a new product cheaply based on an already designed hardware, share some production with vita to reduce costs, and with little ad make a benefit.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
MoHasanie said:
Because its a terrible idea. People will not buy this cause it just seems like a dumb device. I don't know what Sony were thinking when they made that thing. Even PlayStation Now will be unpopular.

If its such a bad idea why are you hating on it so much? It seems that you're just jelly. Also why do you feel the need to downplay PS Now, seems like your just worried. Your talkin a lot of shit but you haven't backed up anything.

So you might want to put up or shut up.

Um, because I hate the concept behind it and you asked why will it flop. Why would people ever want to play a Vita game on a TV? Most people don't even want the Vita as a portable device. And why would I ever be jelous of it? It hasn't even released yet and if I really wanted one, then its only 100 bucks but I wouldn't even pay $50 for it. 

Even offering PS now on TV and mobile devices sounds sily to me. I mean its perfectly fine if they offer older games on playstation devices and its a good idea, but what's the point of realeasing them on the other devices? People will need to subscribe for it and buy a controller as well. I think its very unlikely that people that want to play games will subscribe to this and buy a controller since it would be easier and better for them to go buy a ps3 instead since its pretty cheap now. 

And you should learn to be polite and civil, and avoid telling people to shut up. I could report you for that but I won't. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
pokoko said:
Too much of a crowded market with some really, really strong and entrenched competition.

pictures

I have no idea what you're saying here but if it's that Sony markets products as well as Apple then you've fallen off your rocker.

I'm not going to rehash the points everyone has made here, however I will just add something no one mentioned as will it not succeed. Sony is the mist of a major corporate restructuring of its business and don't have the resources to put everything behind another PS product. I imagine they are putting it out in NA and Europe to try get some profit off it for the RD that was put in.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Who exactly is this marketed towards? If I'm not a big gamer, why wouldn't I just buy an Apple TV which does quite a bit more? Why wouldn't I get a Chromecast for less than 50 bucks? If I'm a big gamer, why wouldn't I just spring for a PS3 (or more likely already have one)?

I was about to ask the same question. Basically, the target market is:

- People who already own a Vita, but want to play those games on a big screen

For every other person, there is a better solution...

Initial sales will be in thousands, and by the third week it will sell a fraction of what Vita is doing. So - 100 units per month.

There is a lot of problems I have with the launch to be hoinest.

It's not selling alongside any big Vita game because there isn't any except for Indie that Sony announced so unless Gamescon changes that around, but I still expected one at the big E3. They did the same in Japan and it sold around 50,000 at launch which is good, but it didn't take long to drop. It sells around 1,000 now to the point of where PSP, Vita, Ps3 and PS4 outsells it. They aren't doing themselves any favors to be honest and I was really annoyed with the lack of Vita support. If the Vita isn't worth getting it then why do people want a PSTV? It's cheaper, but if there is nothing to it then what's the point.

I'm sure you can all come out with a few games that were good and worth gettin if somebody did get one, but it's clearly not winning over everyone.

PSTV is the future.

Not the present...
...we all know how every promises that relies on the internet and streaming is a lagging sack of bullshit that always has problems.

However, being able to play PS1/2/3/Vita and probably even PS4 games on any TV connected to Internet with just a controller? Of course this is killer, but as anything relying on internet, this is not a safe bet now.

Nintentacle said:
It will fail because It's the Vita: The worst-selling 8th gen system.

Isnt that the WiiU? Oh I forgot, the one week MK8 boost made it become relevant again

OT: it wont be a success, but it will do better than in Japan.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

MoHasanie said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
MoHasanie said:
Because its a terrible idea. People will not buy this cause it just seems like a dumb device. I don't know what Sony were thinking when they made that thing. Even PlayStation Now will be unpopular.

If its such a bad idea why are you hating on it so much? It seems that you're just jelly. Also why do you feel the need to downplay PS Now, seems like your just worried. Your talkin a lot of shit but you haven't backed up anything.

So you might want to put up or shut up.

Um, because I hate the concept behind it and you asked why will it flop. Why would people ever want to play a Vita game on a TV? Most people don't even want the Vita as a portable device. And why would I ever be jelous of it? It hasn't even released yet and if I really wanted one, then its only 100 bucks but I wouldn't even pay $50 for it. 

Even offering PS now on TV and mobile devices sounds sily to me. I mean its perfectly fine if they offer older games on playstation devices and its a good idea, but what's the point of realeasing them on the other devices? People will need to subscribe for it and buy a controller as well. I think its very unlikely that people that want to play games will subscribe to this and buy a controller since it would be easier and better for them to go buy a ps3 instead since its pretty cheap now. 

And you should learn to be polite and civil, and avoid telling people to shut up. I could report you for that but I won't. 

lets break this down shall we: 

Um, because I hate the concept behind it and you asked why will it flop.

Why exactly does your hate of a product decide that it will flop? Maybe you should take your feelings out of the equation

Why would people ever want to play a Vita game on a TV? Most people don't even want the Vita as a portable device. And why would I ever be jelous of it? It hasn't even released yet and if I really wanted one, then its only 100 bucks but I wouldn't even pay $50 for it. 

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

and this is why the Vita argument is moot:

The genetic fallacy, also known as fallacy of originsfallacy of virtue,[1] is a fallacy of irrelevance where a conclusion is suggested based solely on something or someone's origin rather than its current meaning or context. This overlooks any difference to be found in the present situation, typically transferring the positive or negative esteem from the earlier context.

The fallacy therefore fails to assess the claim on its merit. The first criterion of a good argument is that the premises must have bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim in question.[2] Genetic accounts of an issue may be true, and they may help illuminate the reasons why the issue has assumed its present form, but they are irrelevant to its merits.[3]

See also[edit]

Notes[edit]

1. Jump up to:a b c "A List Of Fallacious Arguments". Retrieved 6 October 2012.
  2. Jump up^ Attacking Faulty Reasoning: A Practical Guide to Fallacy-Free Arguments (Third Edition) by T. Edward Damer, chapter II, subsection "The Relevance Criterion" (pg. 12)
  3. Jump up^ With Good Reason: An Introduction to Informal Fallacies (Fifth Edition) by S. Morris Engel, chapter V, subsection 1 (pg. 198)
  4. Jump up^ Honderich, Ted, ed. (1995). "Genetic fallacy". The Oxford Companion to Philosophy. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-866132-0.

External links[edit]

Even offering PS now on TV and mobile devices sounds sily to me.

I mean its perfectly fine if they offer older games on playstation devices and its a good idea, but what's the point of realeasing them on the other devices? People will need to subscribe for it and buy a controller as well. I think its very unlikely that people that want to play games will subscribe to this and buy a controller since it would be easier and better for them to go buy a ps3 instead since its pretty cheap now. 

You have no idea the details behind PS Now so you are talking out of pure ignorance. 

You're threating to report me? You were the one that was flaming and offtopic. I told you to explain why it'll flop and you respond by calling PSTV and PS Now stupid. I have no civility for those who are obviously trolling. Go ahead make my day.

And another thing, the idiom "So you might want to put up or shut up" means that you should back up what you're saying when your talking bad about something or someone. Something you clearly don't understand, because if you did you would've responded with actual points instead of threatening to report me. AS IF YOU DID NOTHING WRONG.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank