By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why exactly will PSTV Flop in the states?

Blood_Tears said:
Fusioncode said:
If Sony can advertise it right then I think it can do well. A cheap console to play Playstation games and watch Netflix. I'm sure there's a market for that.

Exactly, it's called a PS3 price drop.  lol

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

I don't think it's going to flop. The fact that it's going to be released as something new and semi-accessory to the PS4 in the midst of PS4's huge success will tell a very different tale to that of the Vita.
Not saying it's gonna do all that great either, it's just gonna do fine and well enough for Sony to be happy with it, I'm guessing.

Pristine20 said:
2. It's useless to PS3/4 owners
3. It requires prior knowledge of good PS games. Anyone with said knowledge owns PS consoles already
4. It won't be advertised
5. Too many PS branded products are relevant at present: PS2?/3/4/vita/portable and now TV. It's bound to get unnoticed by the casuals it targets with it's price thanks to all the PS jargon floating around
6. Portable games don't always work well on the big screen and it doensn't play all vita games
7. PSNow is unproven, it could be a flop in of itself.

2. Absolutely false. It gives you a second PS4 for a different television. I would love to have it in more than just my living room.
3. Not necessarily true, because people still hear about games that may be good without owning them
4. True sadly
5. Possibly, but PS2/3/P are done with in the US.
6. Plays the vast majority of Vita games, and non-touch screen games will work seamlessly.
7. Definite possibility, but I think they've made quite a large investment to keep abandon it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

i think playstation tv could be successful but sony won't do it right. i'm glad that they dropped the vita from the name,.. that's a start. but this should be treated like a competitor to roku and fire Tv not a competitor to ps3 / ps4.

for success to needs to
1. be cheap - check
2. have an easy to use simple UI - fail, the vita interface with a ps3 controller is awkward
3. support a lot of tv services - fail. it has netflix but is missing several dozen key services.
4. advertise that it also has access to ps now with thousands of games from ps1/2/3/4 and psp/v - partial credit
5. support the ps4's gamepad - fail
6. support a more conventional controller - fail (i think)

so great idea, terrible execution.

1) Not every Vita game is compatible. (which should be the main selling point)
2) Sony is bad at supporting peripherals. (since they consider the Vita now a PS4 add-on, PSTV would be the same)
3) Lack of advertisement.
4) No future support from Sony. (I'm pretty sure SCEA would forget about this product like they did with the Vita)

Around the Network
for success to needs to
1. be cheap - check
2. have an easy to use simple UI - fail, the vita interface with a ps3 controller is awkward
3. support a lot of tv services - fail. it has netflix but is missing several dozen key services.
4. advertise that it also has access to ps now with thousands of games from ps1/2/3/4 and psp/v - partial credit

Not only are 5 and 6 nearly the same points, but again pointing back to the wiki makes mention that PS4 controller support was patched in on the March 25th patch.

Here - (its in japanese lol)

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201403/25050481.html

Google Translate
"In this update, new [Calendar] is added to the home screen PS Vita, the PS Vita TV. In addition to the management plan can do with such synchronization with Google Calendar functions to support life game in PS Vita are provided a number in this application. Other, Bluetooth keyboard or become available in the PS Vita, and corresponding to the operation of DUALSHOCK 4 and PlayStation Mobile software for in PS Vita TV, various features have been added."

Its crappy translation but the article mentions a few more times about the Dualshock4.

kitler53 said:
i think playstation tv could be successful but sony won't do it right. i'm glad that they dropped the vita from the name,.. that's a start. but this should be treated like a competitor to roku and fire Tv not a competitor to ps3 / ps4.

for success to needs to
1. be cheap - check

The only gamepad it supports is the Dualshock 3 I believe. Unsure on Dualshock 4 support, but considering it works on PS3, I'm sure it can be patched in.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

aLkaLiNE said:
for success to needs to
1. be cheap - check

Not only are 5 and 6 nearly the same points, but again pointing back to the wiki makes mention that PS4 controller support was patched in on the March 25th patch.

Here - (its in japanese lol)

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201403/25050481.html

Google Translate
"In this update, new [Calendar] is added to the home screen PS Vita, the PS Vita TV. In addition to the management plan can do with such synchronization with Google Calendar functions to support life game in PS Vita are provided a number in this application. Other, Bluetooth keyboard or become available in the PS Vita, and corresponding to the operation of DUALSHOCK 4 and PlayStation Mobile software for in PS Vita TV, various features have been added."

Its crappy translation but the article mentions a few more times about the Dualshock4.

let me clarify point 6: a more conventional TV controller.  

If it's profitable I see no fail.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

No gaemz