By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why exactly will PSTV Flop in the states?

Because its a terrible idea. People will not buy this cause it just seems like a dumb device. I don't know what Sony were thinking when they made that thing. Even PlayStation Now will be unpopular.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Too much of a crowded market with some really, really strong and entrenched competition.

Yeah...I was gonna say the same thing. I thought I recall someone in Sony even mentioning that as their reason for releasing in Japan first. 

I feel like this will sell primarily among gaming hobbyists, since its main difference from Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and whatnot is access to dedicated game experiences. The target audience for these streaming boxes seems to be people who just want a hub for Netflix or Hulu.

Though who knows. With proper marketing, I could easily be proven wrong.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

nitekrawler1285 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Don't say Japan, Japan is literally the worst place for the PSTV, and as this generation has proven, the worst market to compare to America.

I've seen a whole bunch of claims that the PSTV will flop with little reasoning, people had stronger justification for the PS4 being a flop before it released.

I was catiously optimisitic when they announced it as VitaTV, and I'm cautiously optimistic now. Its cheaper than the 2DS, has a library that basically dwarfs this gen and last gen, cheapest way to get remote play if you have a PS4. Its the perfect entry console and can easily be a side console if you haven't played in the PS ecosystem before. Other than the motion controls that set the Wii off, it basically is set up just like it, and Sony typically doesn't have the advertising issues for them to market incorrectly here in the states. 

I can't predict another PS2/DS/Wii but I don't understand how some people are can be so certain its will flop.

Less games than Vita for crying out loud.  Excludes most of the systems best titles.  

$99 has stiff competition with apple TV, Fire TV and Roku alone not to mention low end rokus and chromecast at $50-$35.  Those have a better OS for that stuff on your TV.  They also offer more TV stuff than Playstation TV(Sony could change and update but I dont expect them to put in the effort). 

Memory Card prices.  

I still think it would be a good bet for developing nations.  

MemCards will probably be the thing that holds this back and it effectively killed the Vita, but its compatible with every Vita game, touch dependent games are remapped, its not a replacement for the Vita, but it doesn't need to be. The Vita isn't exactly flying off the shelves right now. As a media box its market is much harder, but compared to handhelds versus the smartphone market? its in a much better position then the Vita, which is getting destroyed by the 3DS in its respective market which is underfire by smartphones.

Compared to that Chromecast, Roku, and Apple TV are much easier and thats only as a Media Box, as a Microconsole its only competition is the Ouya.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

MoHasanie said:
Because its a terrible idea. People will not buy this cause it just seems like a dumb device. I don't know what Sony were thinking when they made that thing. Even PlayStation Now will be unpopular.

If its such a bad idea why are you hating on it so much? It seems that you're just jelly. Also why do you feel the need to downplay PS Now, seems like your just worried. Your talkin a lot of shit but you haven't backed up anything.

So you might want to put up or shut up.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Success and Flop are relative. What exactly is the expectation for the PS TV? From my view I don't see Sony trying to sell millions of these in the West. Maybe they make 100,000 of these and market it as a niche product for gadget lovers and hobbyists. It's very low risk on Sony's part. They're just recycling old Vita parts and there's no extra cost for developing unique games for this device. Whatever they sell is basically just extra revenue for them.

I see Sony approaching this the same way they approached the PS Camera. They'll manufacture a small number of these and test the market. If it sells out and there's a demand for it, they'll manufacture a new batch.

Around the Network

Its an unnecessary item for basically everyone.

Totally casual crowd already have tablets and most likely don't give a sh*t about the playstation library of games.

Netflix is available with so many different devices, nobody waited for this product to watch movies online.

Tablet game players like their simple games. An 8 button controller seems alien to that demographic. Netflix..Wow....

I just don't see where a big or even decent sized market is available for this product. I could be totally wrong on this but it really reminds me of the PSP Go. A decent product, but on that no one actually asked for.

Has anyone here read the wiki for PSTV? There's a few interesting things to be said for Sonys intention for this microconsole.

First, it seems to be part of a strategic plan that will allow the rest of the non Playstation Now certified HDTV's to stream games. (In other words, it will be PSNow capable).

Second, it will be used in China because of the lift on the console ban and I think this may just be the smartest way to penetrate that market, where price will be a huge factor in success.

I think this thing could be a fantastic alternative to spending money on a Vita, and soon the PS3. It could make all that obsolete. If I was a consumer jumping ship from my own brand to join Sony, a PS4 and PSTV would be the ultimate combo to access the expanding library of PSN games.

What's else, if they pursue contracts from Networks and allow access to Netflix, Hulu+, Pandora etc then this would make it have a critical edge over other streaming box tops offered by Amazon or Google. I think the quality discrepancy between the Play Store and PlayStation Store would make this choice obvious.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

MemCards will probably be the thing that holds this back and it effectively killed the Vita, but its compatible with every Vita game, touch dependent games are remapped, its not a replacement for the Vita, but it doesn't need to be. The Vita isn't exactly flying off the shelves right now. As a media box its market is much harder, but compared to handhelds versus the smartphone market? its in a much better position then the Vita, which is getting destroyed by the 3DS in its respective market which is underfire by smartphones.

Compared to that Chromecast, Roku, and Apple TV are much easier and thats only as a Media Box, as a Microconsole its only competition is the Ouya.

I'm pretty sure its not. Someone posted a list of incompatible titles a few pages back and I doubt they can map all of Tearaway's and Invizimals functions to a DS4 as many parts of the games use the camera. It doesn't have to be "Vita" but it does need to be a good console and starting out with less than Vita's Library isn't exactly encouraging for it's ability to compete in that fashion.They certainly didn't announce anything new for it.  

It's not in a better position as a media box either.  It's in the exact same position with entrenched competitors with far more worthwhile ecosystems especially for tv stuff.  

I will concede it might compete well with Ouya but that isn't exactly a huge market either.  

Fusioncode said:
If Sony can advertise it right then I think it can do well. A cheap console to play Playstation games and watch Netflix. I'm sure there's a market for that.

Exactly, it's called a PS3 price drop.  lol

PSTV will be a surprise success, because Sony had the good sense to keep the Vita name out of it.