By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why exactly will PSTV Flop in the states?

I'm optimistic about it, personally.

Around the Network
jacks81x said:
Nintentacle said:
It will fail because It's the Vita: The worst-selling 8th gen system.

Ouya says hi. 

It's a Smartphone/Console hybrid though, not 100% console.

I know that I will be picking up a Vita TV for my other television and to check out the other features it has.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Nintentacle said:
jacks81x said:
Nintentacle said:
It will fail because It's the Vita: The worst-selling 8th gen system.

Ouya says hi. 

It's a Smartphone/Console hybrid though, not 100% console.

Neither is a Vita.  It's a handheld.  Not 100% console.  I could easily argue that the Ouya is more of a console than a Vita.  A Vita is mobile, has 3G option, and can run Homebrew.  An Ouya only works if you hook it up to a TV, much like a console.  There's nothing "smartphone" about it if you can't even take it with you on the go.  

BlkPaladin said:

I don't think it will sell because of the space it occupies is a little crowed by "bigger" names and those don't sell very well. Also the last time they tried something like this (taking a portable and doing something different) it didn't go well either. (PSP Go)

They turned a handheld in to a digital handheld.

PSTV is a portable console, it might have originated from the Vita, but that is  a genetic fallacy.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
SlayerRondo said:
I know that I will be picking up a Vita TV for my other television and to check out the other features it has.

I will as well because it can act as my second PS4.  Remote Play works fine but it is a real pain sometimes without 4 shoulder buttons.  

Since this is playstation tv it may do great. It is moving up on the amazon charts. What is not going to happen is this doing anything for the vita. That is why it is not called vita tv here. As a device that does now and plays playstation console games it will do something. It is just not the vitas savior. That ship sailed to quick.

pokoko said:
Too much of a crowded market with some really, really strong and entrenched competition.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

and this is why the Vita argument is moot:

The genetic fallacy, also known as fallacy of originsfallacy of virtue,[1] is a fallacy of irrelevance where a conclusion is suggested based solely on something or someone's origin rather than its current meaning or context. This overlooks any difference to be found in the present situation, typically transferring the positive or negative esteem from the earlier context.

The fallacy therefore fails to assess the claim on its merit. The first criterion of a good argument is that the premises must have bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim in question.[2] Genetic accounts of an issue may be true, and they may help illuminate the reasons why the issue has assumed its present form, but they are irrelevant to its merits.[3]

See also[edit]

Notes[edit]

1. Jump up to:a b c "A List Of Fallacious Arguments". Retrieved 6 October 2012.
  2. Jump up^ Attacking Faulty Reasoning: A Practical Guide to Fallacy-Free Arguments (Third Edition) by T. Edward Damer, chapter II, subsection "The Relevance Criterion" (pg. 12)
  3. Jump up^ With Good Reason: An Introduction to Informal Fallacies (Fifth Edition) by S. Morris Engel, chapter V, subsection 1 (pg. 198)
  4. Jump up^ Honderich, Ted, ed. (1995). "Genetic fallacy". The Oxford Companion to Philosophy. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-866132-0.

External links[edit]

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Don't say Japan, Japan is literally the worst place for the PSTV, and as this generation has proven, the worst market to compare to America.

I've seen a whole bunch of claims that the PSTV will flop with little reasoning, people had stronger justification for the PS4 being a flop before it released.

I was catiously optimisitic when they announced it as VitaTV, and I'm cautiously optimistic now. Its cheaper than the 2DS, has a library that basically dwarfs this gen and last gen, cheapest way to get remote play if you have a PS4. Its the perfect entry console and can easily be a side console if you haven't played in the PS ecosystem before. Other than the motion controls that set the Wii off, it basically is set up just like it, and Sony typically doesn't have the advertising issues for them to market incorrectly here in the states. 

I can't predict another PS2/DS/Wii but I don't understand how some people are can be so certain its will flop.

Less games than Vita for crying out loud.  Excludes most of the systems best titles.  

$99 has stiff competition with apple TV, Fire TV and Roku alone not to mention low end rokus and chromecast at $50-$35.  Those have a better OS for that stuff on your TV.  They also offer more TV stuff than Playstation TV(Sony could change and update but I dont expect them to put in the effort). 

Memory Card prices.  

I still think it would be a good bet for developing nations.