By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Lair vs Killzone 2

Around the Network
El Duderino said:

OT: I think KZ2 will be much better than Lair but not as good as all the hype sayes... just a normal shooter with great graphics...

Halo3 was a normal shooter with bad graphics, so it looks like KZ2 has already got something Halo3 does not and thats good graphics, looks like KZ2 will be getting an average of 9.8 from all the reviewers.

I actually somewhat agree with starcraft & the xbots here...

Kz2 is probably one of the most over-hyped games ever..I'm warning all SONY fans now..don't over hype it because I think we will be met with a disappointment

Start hyping RES 2 & MS2 not an unpopular IP from a proven crappy dev..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Griffin said:
El Duderino said:

OT: I think KZ2 will be much better than Lair but not as good as all the hype sayes... just a normal shooter with great graphics...

Halo3 was a normal shooter with bad graphics, so it looks like KZ2 has already got something Halo3 does not and thats good graphics, looks like KZ2 will be getting an average of 9.8 from all the reviewers.

Halo 3 was a superb shooter with average graphics. Its been criticised not for being bad but for not being innovative - everything Halo 3 did had been offered before. However it was a excellently built FPS with superb online, we don't know if KZ2 will be a well built FPS yet and there is literally no chance in hell of it getting a 9.8 average based purely on the fact that nothing it has shown so far has lead me to believe that it will be a truly innovative game.

SpartanFX said:
starcraft said:
SpartanFX said:
starcraft said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
Lair I never played and can not comment on it.
Kill Zone 2 is going to be the greatest game of 2008 on the PS3.
It will be better than both Resistance 2 and MGS 4, which I believe will be the runner-up games on the PS3 in 2008.

Pray that this is not the case, because the way things are looking for Killzone 2, this would be very bad for the PS3's line-up.

Don't worry about PS3 line up this year as you don't own one,,,,when you consider a bugy and grainy game like Too human as one of the most anticipated 360 games this year, then you need to be worried about 360 line up,,,,

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/hands-on-too-hu.html

This is a walkthrough of a build that is at least 6 months form being the final build. Where exactly does it say anything about buggy or grainy? Seriously, other than MGS4 whats left of the PS3's heavy-hitters in 2008? FFXIII is delayed and GoW3 and GT5 won't make it until 2009. All we heard last year was "wait until FFXIII, MGS4, GT5, LBP and Killzone 2." Now we have indications Killzone 2 won't be better than mediocre, and the only heavy hitter making it in 2008 for the PS3 is MGS4, which is hitting OUTSIDE the holidays.

And if you say "but...but LBP" then you can hardly criticise my praise for new IP's Too Human and Alan Wake.

there is no indication anywhere(Except for rumors) since the game dev team has said many time on PS3 fourms that no one knows about our game except for some sony internal studios.

games that I will be looking forward to this year are:

MGS4

Killzone 2

Resistance 2

Gears of war 2(XBOX)

LBP

GT5:p

Motorstrom 2

Haze

Protoype(multiplat)

As you can see there are lots of games on PS3 that I will be looking for as a GAMER not a fanboy.All my mates are on the same boat as I am.So don't play the no good game card with me buddy ,cause you start to look sad in justifying your self for purchasing your XBOX360.If you like your system that's great man,but don't try to change our minds,cause it's not gonna happen.

I'm still hoping that Infamous (or inFamous if they use obnoxious capitalization) will come out this year. I have much love for Sucker Punch (Sly Cooper!) and the trailer looked effing amazing. MGS4 is at the top of my list though, with GTA IV right behind it.

Around the Network

So to sum up.

I drew a parallel between the silence on Lair when Sony realized how bad it was and the current silence on Killzone 2, combined with reports of mediocrity.

(insert Sony fanboy flaming)

Some people from both sides of the fence offered reasonable arguments why the current silence may or may not be a sign of Killzone 2 not being all that.

(insert Sony fanboy flaming)

Some intelligent Sony fans indicated that they agree that Killzone 2 is overhyped and borne out of an unproven developer. General consensus amongst non-Sony fanboys is that Killzone 2 will be a let down compared to it's hype, but not necessarily the bad game the first Killzone was.

(insert............)

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I'm slightly confused.

GT had official trailers for Lair released on July 3rd, July 13th, July 14th, July 23rd, and August 29th (1 day before launch).

How exactly was there a sudden lack of attention from Sony regarding Lair?

It seems to me it was getting wide media coverage right up until launch.

@Starcraft:

I wouldn't be worried about the lack of noise for KZ2 at the moment. Sony's probably learning from it's mistakes with Lair marketing, Killzone 2 will most likely not be a killer app, it's not a Halo Killer, but at least Sony is not setting itself up to be shot down like with what happened to HS and Motorstorm (2 good games that look like crap now because sony was marketing them as 10/10 titles when they are really 7-8/10). I think Sony's starting to realise that the only way KZ2 will get any cred is if it stays as far away from Halo as possible. Look at the truly great shooters of this gen, none of them were called halo killers, all of them were successful: Bioshock, CoD4, R6V, GRAW2, Gears, Resistance.

When Sony fanboys start realising that there is no such thing as a Halo Killer (it's fanbase is too large for that to happen any time soon) and start caring more about the games actual merits, maybe Sony will have another truly AAA title in their library.

CAL4M1TY said:

When Sony fanboys start realising that there is no such thing as a Halo Killer (it's fanbase is too large for that to happen any time soon) and start caring more about the games actual merits, maybe Sony will have another truly AAA title in their library.

Well i think we already have halo killer it's call of duty 4. It sold more than halo and it's way better.

darthdevidem01 said:
I actually somewhat agree with starcraft & the xbots here...

Kz2 is probably one of the most over-hyped games ever..I'm warning all SONY fans now..don't over hype it because I think we will be met with a disappointment

Start hyping RES 2 & MS2 not an unpopular IP from a proven crappy dev..

What's funny is that Sony and Guerilla aren't even responsible for the vast majority of the hype. Same with the first game - it was some magazine that called it a Halo-killer (which really was a stupid thing to say).