By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U: The Zelda title the Wii U deserves, but not the one it needs?

nintendo made zelda cell shaded because wiiu can't handle those graphics in the tech demo, an open environment. just look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwmWBcqX4KY cell shaded graphics are easy to do and have already reached the level that it looks like a cartoon.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

What version you prefer doesn't make it better as ultimately the only differences are the controls, I prefer the Wii controls but the are many who prefer the GC controls and didn't like the Wii controls. Being cool doesn't guarantee sales otherwise Duke Nukem would of crushed in sales, Aonuma realized this and has smartly decided to not sacrifice vision to be cool as it takes more then being cool to appeal to that demographic.

It's not my preference; the Wii version was marketed as the superior version.

And I never said coolness guaranteed sales, but it helps. A dark art style would have attracted a segment of non-fans that the current art style wil not.

It goes both ways as the are people who prefer more colourful art direction that would be put off, this could appeal more to the RPG crowd.

True, but I have a feeling the "realism" crowd is bigger.

That being said, I for one find the new style quite appealing. I'm merely talking from a commercial POV here.

Arius Dion said:
Same shit different gen. Show a great tech demo then pull the okey doke and bust out a lame anime cel-shaded 'creative' artstyle. Smh, Why can't the Zelda team, with Aonuma at its helm, deliver what the majority of fans are yearning for?

The proof is in the pudding, Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda since OoT, SS was a sale flop, WWHD is a non factor for Wii U momentum.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Its like going to an ice cream shop because outside there is a banner that shows a vanilla ice cream cone, you walk in and the owner tells you, well we wanted to try something different, here's butter pecan sorbet. Wtf?

Tbh, though, after SS why would people be excited about Zelda again? The game was terrible.

Skyward Sword sold less than other Zelda games because it required  Wii MotionPlus and because it came out during the time the Wii wasn't doing so hot!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

VanceIX said:
Zero999 said:

bolded: no, it doesn't. HD is just resolution. if anything, Zelda U looks like a mix of what's the best in WW, TP and SS, while being made in super high polygon, high texture, high everything. AND it's in HD.

bolded 2: Zelda U is litting the internet. most people loved it.

1. HD is a colloquial term for visual improvement, especially when referring to upgraded visuals. It looks little like Wind Waker or Twilight Princess, imo. The color usage and the bright/dark levels are pretty much evolutionary of Skyward Sword's art style.

2. Many people love it, yes. But how long will the hype really last? Most of the people excited for it are Zelda fans who already have a Wii U. I, for one, am super hyped for it. But it's not the type of Zelda to bring in too many new gamers. People are looking for better graphics, as shallow as that may sound, and a cartoon Zelda will not help sway them. 

People like me and you appreciate the beauty of the game. The reality is, most people couldn't care less. All they see is the cartoon world of Zelda, compared to a realistic world of the Elder Scrolls or Grand Theft Auto or Dragon Age on the other consoles, and choose the others. Unfair? Yes. But it's reality. 

bolded: let's make a few things clear: Zelda for Wii U is NOT CARTOON. people aren't looking for better graphics but if they were, they wouldn't complain because zelda u's graphics look perfect. and what do you mean by "not the type of zelda to bring in too many new gamers"? This is exactly the type of zelda that atracts new gamers and bring back old ones. It's the huge open world adventure we always wanted. I know there are many shallow people but you are SEVERELY OVERESTIMATING their numbers. you are basically saying that millions of people aren't interested in zelda but would be if it were realistic.

HoloDust said:
Zero999 said:

Why do people keep saying that zelda sells or not because of the artstyle?

This is from Aonuma's GDC 2007 presentation:

"As some of you know, at E3 2004, we unveiled the game that would become Twilight Princess, the realistic Zelda game, and we announced that it was developed by the team that had been developing Wind Waker 2. Actually, there was a reason that that decision was made at the time. At one point, I had heard that even Wind Waker, which had reached the million mark in sales, had become sluggish in North America, where the market was much healthier than in Japan. I asked NOA why this was. What I was told was that the toon-shading technique was, in fact, giving the impression that this Zelda was for a younger audience and that, for this reason, it alienated the upper teen audience that had represented the typical Zelda player. Having heard that, I began to worry about whether Wind Waker 2, which used a similar presentation, was something that would actually sell."

Personally, I don't mind that art-style (well, at least not that much), so I'll have no problem enjoying the game (along with my kids, specially now that they've seen it is 'big' Link instead of 'small'). But teens these days, very audience that Nintendo wants to sell their game to, are not into that.

Whether tech demo style is better art style or not is up to personal preference...but looking at the past, it seems that it would help the sales.

P.S. I'm breaking my rule here in hope you can maintain at least semi-argumented debate ;)

Wind waker sold a lot, regardless of criticism. now read the question again: Why do people keep saying that zelda sells or not because of the artstyle?

A bunch of people are saying that THE factor for people to buy a zelda is the artstyle. that's without any base and makes no sense. and my question was pretty rethorical.

Around the Network
rapheal said:

nintendo made zelda cell shaded because wiiu can't handle those graphics in the tech demo, an open environment. just look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwmWBcqX4KY cell shaded graphics are easy to do and have already reached the level that it looks like a cartoon.

You don't get it. Nintendo made the game cell shaded because that's how Zelda is meant to look. That's it. No alterior motive. When the next console is as powerful as the PS4, it'll be cell shaded. When the one after that does 4K at 180fps, it'll still be cell shaded. Until Aonuma dies and is forced to give the IP to someone else, there's not a chance in hell that it will ever look "realistic" again, because Aonuma doesn't like it that way. And he won't give the IP to someone who doesn't share his vision. End of discussion.

And for the record, Miyamoto wanted TP to look like Wind Waker and was originally against it looking realistic, so don't anyone try saying anything about what Zelda's "original look" was suppoesed to be, because it definitely wasn't realistic. Miyamoto created Pikmin and Miis. He doesn't care about "realism" or "hardcore gamers."

spemanig said:
rapheal said:

You don't get it. Nintendo made the game cell shaded because that's how Zelda is meant to look. That's it. No alterior motive. When the next console is as powerful as the PS4, it'll be cell shaded. When the one after that does 4K at 180fps, it'll still be cell shaded. Until Aonuma dies and is forced to give the IP to someone else, there's not a chance in hell that it will ever look "realistic" again, because Aonuma doesn't like it that way. And he won't give the IP to someone who doesn't share his vision. End of discussion.

And for the record, Miyamoto wanted TP to look like Wind Waker and was originally against it looking realistic, so don't anyone try saying anything about what Zelda's "original look" was suppoesed to be, because it definitely wasn't realistic. Miyamoto created Pikmin and Miis. He doesn't care about "realism" or "hardcore gamers."

You realize you're talking to a ninjablade alt, right?

Zero999 said:

bolded: let's make a few things clear: Zelda for Wii U is NOT CARTOON. people aren't looking for better graphics but if they were, they wouldn't complain because zelda u's graphics look perfect. and what do you mean by "not the type of zelda to bring in too many new gamers"? This is exactly the type of zelda that atracts new gamers and bring back old ones. It's the huge open world adventure we always wanted. I know there are many shallow people but you are SEVERELY OVERESTIMATING their numbers. you are basically saying that millions of people aren't interested in zelda but would be if it were realistic.

Yes, it is. It is cartoon. It's literally the definition of cartoon. It's anime. Last time I checked, anime is a cartoon. The graphics are perfect, but let's not misunderstand. It's a perfect cartoony, cell shaded, anime-like art style.

spemanig said:

just a reminder, zelda was never realistic.

curl-6 said:

You realize you're talking to a ninjablade alt, right?

Does that mean anything? Who's Ninjablade?