By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U: The Zelda title the Wii U deserves, but not the one it needs?

curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

What version you prefer doesn't make it better as ultimately the only differences are the controls, I prefer the Wii controls but the are many who prefer the GC controls and didn't like the Wii controls. Being cool doesn't guarantee sales otherwise Duke Nukem would of crushed in sales, Aonuma realized this and has smartly decided to not sacrifice vision to be cool as it takes more then being cool to appeal to that demographic.

It's not my preference; the Wii version was marketed as the superior version.

And I never said coolness guaranteed sales, but it helps. A dark art style would have attracted a segment of non-fans that the current art style wil not.

It goes both ways as the are people who prefer more colourful art direction that would be put off, this could appeal more to the RPG crowd.

Around the Network
orniletter said:
Arius Dion said:
Same shit different gen. Show a great tech demo then pull the okey doke and bust out a lame anime cel-shaded 'creative' artstyle. Smh, Why can't the Zelda team, with Aonuma at its helm, deliver what the majority of fans are yearning for?

Tbh, though, after SS why would people be excited about Zelda again? The game was terrible.

Did you like A Link Between World´s artdirection ?

Skyward Sword was a fantastic game with admittedly some serious flaws. Calling the game terrible is straight up dumb Internet hyperbole.

At first, when it resembled ALttP, when it was changed to some fruity looking elf, no I did not.

It's not internet hyperbole, its my opinion of the game.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Wyrdness said:

What version you prefer doesn't make it better as ultimately the only differences are the controls, I prefer the Wii controls but the are many who prefer the GC controls and didn't like the Wii controls. Being cool doesn't guarantee sales otherwise Duke Nukem would of crushed in sales, Aonuma realized this and has smartly decided to not sacrifice vision to be cool as it takes more then being cool to appeal to that demographic.

The Wii version was mirrored and supported 16:9 aspect ratio.

Samus Aran said:
Arius Dion said:
Samus Aran said:
Arius Dion said:
Samus Aran said:
Arius Dion said:
Same shit different gen. Show a great tech demo then pull the okey doke and bust out a lame anime cel-shaded 'creative' artstyle. Smh, Why can't the Zelda team, with Aonuma at its helm, deliver what the majority of fans are yearning for?

The proof is in the pudding, Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda since OoT, SS was a sale flop, WWHD is a non factor for Wii U momentum.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Its like going to an ice cream shop because outside there is a banner that shows a vanilla ice cream cone, you walk in and the owner tells you, well we wanted to try something different, here's butter pecan sorbet. Wtf?

Tbh, though, after SS why would people be excited about Zelda again? The game was terrible.

Lol, what a bunch of whining for a beautiful artstyle. Zelda is about the gameplay. 

Skyward Sword sold poorly because it came out on a dying console (game took way too much development time) and used the Wiimotion+ peripheral. The game looks nothing like WWHD and Skyward Sword anyway. 

Didn't know criticism of any kind would be considered whining. Excuses though, still sound like excuses. If SS was a better game, it wouldn't have sold as poorly as it did. Zelda was about more than just gameplay in its prime. It's largely a niche game now. 
It looks like SS in HD to me, and that's not what the marjority of Zelda fans let alone mainstream gamers are asking for in their Zelda.

You're criticisms are whining. You're talking to someone who didn't like Skyward Sword by the way. 

Please look at vids of Skyward Sword run in 1080p on a Dolphin Emulator and compare it to Skyward Sword. Then come back and tell me it looks alike. 

My favorite Zelda is Twilight Princess, but I'm glad I appreciate more than just dark gritty Zelda's. 

Maybe read a thesaurus.

Couldn't come up with anything huh? Go play Ryse: son of Rome, you might like that more than this Zelda. ;) Gameplay > Graphics.

Came up with a suggestion for someone who doesn't have mastery of the english language yet. Whining and criticism aren't synonomous. I would never play Ryse, I've no doubt its even worse than Skyward Sword ; )

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
orniletter said:
Arius Dion said:

Skyward Sword was a fantastic game with admittedly some serious flaws. Calling the game terrible is straight up dumb Internet hyperbole.

At first, when it resembled ALttP, when it was changed to some fruity looking elf, no I did not.

I´m not talking about the concept art.

Around the Network
orniletter said:
Arius Dion said:
Samus Aran said:

Lol, what a bunch of whining for a beautiful artstyle. Zelda is about the gameplay. 

Skyward Sword sold poorly because it came out on a dying console (game took way too much development time) and used the Wiimotion+ peripheral. The game looks nothing like WWHD and Skyward Sword anyway. 

Didn't know criticism of any kind would be considered whining. Excuses though, still sound like excuses. If SS was a better game, it wouldn't have sold as poorly as it did. Zelda was about more than just gameplay in its prime. It's largely a niche game now. 
It looks like SS in HD to me, and that's not what the marjority of Zelda fans let alone mainstream gamers are asking for in their Zelda.

Don´t be so vague andexplain to me : What was Zelda about aside from gameplay "in it´s prime" ?

What was the "prime " era ?

Take a guess. Hint, it's not WW or SS.

orniletter said:
Arius Dion said:
orniletter said:
Arius Dion said:

I´m not talking about the concept art.

Much prefer OoT.

I don't know, I liked what I saw of The Legend of Zelda U. This is of course coming from someone who liked Wind Waker when it first came out. However, it's understandable that a lot of people find a Zelda game with more realistic visual design appealing. For me, I don't mind that it's sort of reminiscent of Skyward Sword visually, as long as the controls are not designed with motion controls in mind.

I personally don't like the art style and it will make the game a harder sale to mainstream customers. Wake up guys, outside of gaming message forums people don't like anime style. This is more cartoony than Skyward Sword and it's more like Japanese than Western animation. This game is not going to sell well outside the core Nintendo demographic.

Will I buy it? Yes. Will I like the game? Probably. Will it sell hardware? No.

Well I absolutely love the art style of this new Zelda. It looks absolutely stunning. Love my WiiU, its the console that delivers this gen and its starting to be one of my favourite console ever.