By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales 01/06/14 - Mario Kart 8 Week! (>325k SW, 19k HW)

Boutros said:
Sooooo what about that guy who said 400k? I know we should be more careful next time.

probably shipped.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Around the Network

Good SW sales for MK8, above 320k, which is quite nice. However, Wii U is an utter flop. With that said, HW in general in Japan is an utter flop. That market really needs rejuvenating.

Gammalad said:
I think Hyrule Warriors will move more Wii U's in Japan

Probably.... at this point I think it is possible especially if bundle is confirmed!

Switch!!!

trestres said:
Terrible WiiU HW sales. Great for MK8.

Next week drop shall be steep for both HW and SW. Wii U will probably be going back to sub 10k in no time.

Nothing else of importance to be released until mid August, so sales and interest will plumet abysmally. Wii U is dead in Japan.

Kinda always harsh huh? I think HW in general is just bad, even though wiiubwas vrry disappointing...

Anyway Nintendo needs to find a way to help bring up HW sales and to do that they need to do a price drop. They are the only one i think to not do so at all yet

tbone51 said:
Im going to say Hyrule Warriors give a bigger boost than MK8 did :P

Pikmin 3 gave a bigger boost than MK8.... go figure :0

What did you expect from Juri Ueno ( the goddess displayed in my avatar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VNBkurC0p0

Around the Network

PS4 is really plunging btw. Terrible numbers all round

mii-gamer said:
padib said:
Conegamer said:

That may be but you expect one of the biggest (if not the biggest) games of the year to push more than it did. Sure there was more room for improvement in the UK, but the same can be said for Japan; known as "Nintendo Land" after all.

Also pretty sure the system wouldn't be supply constrained. Nintendo knew this was coming and would have prepared.

Not to mention the bundle sku, did japan get it?

You mean the mario kart 8 bundle? Japan did not receive the same treatment. Plus the had the worst promotion which only allowed the free game to be played for one month.

Software sales are great, but the hardware bump leaves more to be desired.

Which leaves me to wonder if they made the Japan MK8 bundle/promo to have parity with the rest of the world if we'd see better sales.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

iceland said:
Damn Mario Kart is doing well, and it's all thanks to Luigi.

I was hoping this would be appropriate for Wii U and PS4 in Japan, but it isn't really but will have to do.

As for Luigi...

He's always there. Watching. Waiting.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Good sales for MK, so-so hardware boost. PS4 is almost on life support as well, Japan is becoming completely and utterly irrelevant, I am amazed at how many people are still refusing to see it.
So that's a little over 30k for the Wii U in Japan and the UK, is it really possible that ioi's guess of 200k + worldwide is correct? That would have to entail a boost similar to the UK rather than Japan for US and Europe.

FATALITY said:
Boutros said:
Sooooo what about that guy who said 400k? I know we should be more careful next time.

probably shipped.

hiska-kun said:

Mario Kart 8 probably sold more than 350k, and close to 400k. That's what that blog said. Sincerely, I don't know how people are making sub 300k predictions. COMG shows a lower performance? Who cares? COMG is a chain of just 16 shops in one of the 47 prefectures in Japan. While that blog is a reliable source. The owner of that blog is a subscriber of Media Create and he got the first day numbers. He is making a prediction from an original and believable source. It's not a random guessing.

This blog can't be doubted. I hope from tomorrow, when numbers shows up, nobody doubts again. This blog has never been wrong.

That data is sold to consumers.

The guy probably poorly interpreted the numbers.