By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales 01/06/14 - Mario Kart 8 Week! (>325k SW, 19k HW)

Michael-5 said:
Yakuzaice said:
Michael-5 said:

Also on a side note, while WiiU is down YoY in Japan, it's up YoY by about 3% Worldwide. This is before Mario Kart, it's pretty much a guarentee that WiiU will be up YoY. The question is when will it be up in Japan.

By my count the Wii U is down YoY before Mario Kart.

For the 21 weeks ending May 24th 2014, the Wii U is at 863,814.

For the 21 weeks ending May 25th 2013, the Wii U is at 840,752.

Unless by worldwide you meant outside of Japan, but I think it is still down slightly by that metric.

Fixed, WiiU is up 23,062, which is 2.8%. This is before Mario Kart, I expect WiiU to by up by about 10% by the end of the month, if not more.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251635/2014-year-on-year-sales-and-market-share-update-to-may-24th/

Those numbers are outdated.  It has lifetime Wii U sales at 6,221,929.  VGC currently has it at 6,103,913.  The Wii U is down 10.6% YoY before Mario Kart.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
That is not a very impressive boost for the WiiU is it?

19k sold? Poor imo, and ps4 down to sub 7k?

Jesus, those hardware numbers are poor all round. Really poor.

Poor doesn't even describe it. I would say it's terrible.

Really shows the increasing irrelevance of home consoles in Japan, and hence the increasing irrelevance of Japan in the home console market. Which might bode poorly for home console games that are heavily Japan-centric with only a niche fanbase in the west.

More and more it would seem that Microsoft would get a better return on investment by not expending money trying to sell Xb one in Japan and use those funds elsewhere in its business. Xb one will be a distant 3rd in a collapsing market.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

thismeintiel said:
Man, MK8 did good, but Wii U did poorly for such a huge exclusive. I think Wii U is pretty much done in Japan, except for holidays, of course. At least the PS4 has future price cuts (price isn't as much of an issue with the Wii U) and will get the vast majority of 3rd party support. If the PS4 only pulls off 19K when something like FF15 launches, then we can safely say it is done, too.

Optimism is good. But don't set yourself up for disappointment.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Hey guys, is this gibson anybody reliable? Cuz..... Found on neogaf....

"Gibson thinks MK8 1st week is over 400k with retail + DL cards + digital "

Enterbrain report MK8 sold 351k in opening weekend in Japan, we estimate thats around 404k including digital or about 20% of WiiU users.

I really need to stop being lazy. I haven't finished 50CC yet. Spent time in MKTV and then got busy with real life stuff....damn you real life...damn you...

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

Updated Dengeki in second post.

Kresnik said:
Updated Dengeki in second post.

So this was your plan all along, eh? Well thanks! 

Wii U 21k, Mario Kart 347k. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

tbone51 said:
Hey guys, is this gibson anybody reliable? Cuz..... Found on neogaf....

"Gibson thinks MK8 1st week is over 400k with retail + DL cards + digital "

Enterbrain report MK8 sold 351k in opening weekend in Japan, we estimate thats around 404k incluing digital or about 20% of WiiU users.

he is reliable, he has access to a lot of resources. I follow him on twitter, so i can use him as a source for news for my blog.

this is his latest tweet

"WiiU hardware sales in Japan jumped by 10k because of MK8 which is +116%, but Nintendo says it takes 4-6weeks for software to drive hardware"

I'm not sure why Nintendo thinks it takes 4-6 weeks for software to drive hardware, maybe there internal analyst have done research on past games, and showed such trends

Mario Kart 8 sales are amazing, but that hardware boost though....

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

padib said:

What this might also tell us is that MK8 has a lot of potential for more sales.

The reason is that almost the only buyers were current owners, if the low HW bump is any indicator.

Therefore if the game gets a good deal of word of mouth, we could see the game have massive legs (which wouldn't be new to the series) and a steady prolonged boost at 15-18k for the next couple of weeks.

The way I see it, and I may be wrong, the lack of greater boost suggests that there's no way the wiiu can do even relatively well in Japan at this point. Just like with psvita in the west when great games come out and they sell quite well, but hardware is almost unaffected, it goes to show that people interested in the console are mainly hardcore fans. Everyone else is not willing to get an entire console for just one game, as the console itself is unimpressive to them.

As soon as you get a negative stigma, there's almost no turning back. Ninty avoided this with 3ds, as they reacted quickly to the 3ds' unalarming low sales, but they waited too long to do something about wiiu. Had some of these games lauched earlier and there wasn't so much doom surrounding wiiu, I think it would have had consistently healthy sales.