By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales 01/06/14 - Mario Kart 8 Week! (>325k SW, 19k HW)

AlphaCielago said:
justinian said:

Almost everyone and his donkey have been claiming that home consoles in Japan are dead. Yet, these sales seem to surprise the very same people that have been shouting this all along. Strange.

I too believe that home consoles in Japan are a lost cause. They were the first people to accept consoles en mass and now are the first to reject them.

Therefore I seem to be the only one that knows what is really going on :) and not at all surprised by this.

I predicted about 150k SW and 30k HW. Both were for a whole week of MK8 sales.

The real story for Wii U is in America and to a lesser extent Europe.

These are also sales for only two days of MK8 I think.

Sony stated that they need to urgently revitalise the Japanese market with new and innovative software, they better hurry up.

Sony isn't going to do much. They are a joke when it comes to 1st party support. Just like their 3 most recent systems, 3rd parties will be the ones who'll bring "innovative software".
I really want to know what the average Japanese thinks of Sony 1st party.

Yes, cuz no one has bought a ps3 for uncharted, Killzone, Infamous, God of War, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo and the Last of Us. Even if you personally don't like ps exclusives, calling the 1st party support a joke" is silly to say the least.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
Thoughts:

- MK8 SW is higher than expected
- MK8 HW is lower than expected
- All HW struggling; PS4 down to 6.5k already. So a 14k difference between the two; will that be enough to put the Wii U on top WW? I don't think so
-Noire a little disappointing.
-Trials Fusion very disappointing

Everything aside from MK8 is decidedly average, which is unexpected.

Why? Those HW numbers are good. Everything is selling lower than usual in Japan due to the tax hike.

padib said:
naruball said:

The way I see it, and I may be wrong, the lack of greater boost suggests that there's no way the wiiu can do even relatively well in Japan at this point. Just like with psvita in the west when great games come out and they sell quite well, but hardware is almost unaffected, it goes to show that people interested in the console are mainly hardcore fans. Everyone else is not willing to get an entire console for just one game, as the console itself is unimpressive to them.

As soon as you get a negative stigma, there's almost no turning back. Ninty avoided this with 3ds, as they reacted quickly to the 3ds' unalarming low sales, but they waited too long to do something about wiiu. Had some of these games lauched earlier and there wasn't so much doom surrounding wiiu, I think it would have had consistently healthy sales. 

It's a reasonable point of view, but the numbers posted by tbone disagree. (the comparative graph comparing MK8 with previous MK entries' first week and lifetime sales)

The fw sales of MK are in line with massive lifetime sales (2 to 4m units), and to sustain those lifetime sales, consoles need to be sold. With a typical attach ratio of 33% (as posted by Michael-5 earlier), we have that 6 to 12m U's should be sold in japan to make sense with the numbers.

So that's why I believe the HW-selling ability of MK will have to be less front-loaded for the U, but it's eventual.

I also could be wrong, but we will keep following the numbers to see what's true.

I think we can best copare it with DD, looking at that it will end up doing +- 1.6 mil.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

So, bad in Japan... but Succes in USA and Europe!

padib said:

I'm not sure why you would compare it to DD.

350m first week is much more in the style of MK7 (at worst in the style of Super Circuit, but that was generations ago so I wouldn't go there).

compareable userbase and not being a handheld version

it doubled DD first weeks totals so also likely will do the same thing for lifetime sales

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
QuintonMcLeod said:
Conegamer said:
Thoughts:

- MK8 SW is higher than expected
- MK8 HW is lower than expected
- All HW struggling; PS4 down to 6.5k already. So a 14k difference between the two; will that be enough to put the Wii U on top WW? I don't think so
-Noire a little disappointing.
-Trials Fusion very disappointing

Everything aside from MK8 is decidedly average, which is unexpected.

Why? Those HW numbers are good. Everything is selling lower than usual in Japan due to the tax hike.

There's no reason to believe the tax hike had any long term effects. It was only short term as people bought things earlier than they would have due to an incoming price increase.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

naruball said:
AlphaCielago said:

Sony isn't going to do much. They are a joke when it comes to 1st party support. Just like their 3 most recent systems, 3rd parties will be the ones who'll bring "innovative software".

Yes, cuz no one has bought a ps3 for uncharted, Killzone, Infamous, God of War, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo and the Last of Us. Even if you personally don't like ps exclusives, calling the 1st party support a joke" is silly to say the least.

You are aware of which thread we are in, right? 

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

AlphaCielago said:
naruball said:
AlphaCielago said:

I am. Are you? How is Gran Turismo a joke exactly? All you're trying to do is downplay the success of ps consoles by attributing it solely to 3rd parties, as if 1st party support is non existant.

naruball said:
AlphaCielago said:
naruball said:
AlphaCielago said:

I am. Are you? How is Gran Turismo a joke exactly? All you're trying to do is downplay the success of ps consoles by attributing it solely to 3rd parties, as if 1st party support is non existant.

1st party support is ajoke in Japan and one game isn't much, it's nothing and the worse part is that franchise declined, very much. Have you heard anyone say anything positive of 1st party games in Japan? Even their Japanese studio can't make a dent.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

AlphaCielago said:
naruball said:
AlphaCielago said:
naruball said:
AlphaCielago said:

1st party support is ajoke in Japan and one game isn't much, it's nothing and the worse part is that franchise declined, very much. Have you heard anyone say anything positive of 1st party games in Japan? Even their Japanese studio can't make a dent.

It's still not a joke. But you can call it whatever you want. I don't live in Japan, but yes several games are praised. Off the top of my head:

-Gravity Rush: favourite psvtia game from psvita fans

-Soul Sacrifice: Also praised by a whole lot of psvita fans and did well in Japan

- Freedom Wars: It hasn't even lauched, but looks incredible (getting praise from several sites)

- Last Guardian: Again, hasn't even launched and it's all you see people talk about before and after each e3. Shadow of the Colossus is that highly regarded by the gaming community.

-Rain got a lot of praise

- Puppeteer is considered a great game that didn't sell well

-Tokyo jungle did well in Japan and got a lot of praise from reviewers for being innovative (yet not thrid party. Crazy huh?). I'm sure there are more.

Do you by any chance game on ps consoles? I'm asking because even games like Knack have received praise here despite the negative reviews. (you ask if I know anyone. Not from real life, but there were multiple threads here and on other websites with reviews from the point of view of children who enjoyed it).