By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales 01/06/14 - Mario Kart 8 Week! (>325k SW, 19k HW)

Man, MK8 did good, but Wii U did poorly for such a huge exclusive. I think Wii U is pretty much done in Japan, except for holidays, of course. At least the PS4 has future price cuts (price isn't as much of an issue with the Wii U) and will get the vast majority of 3rd party support. If the PS4 only pulls off 19K when something like FF15 launches, then we can safely say it is done, too.

Around the Network

I thought the Wii U was going to get a bigger boost but Mario Kart 8 did pretty well

That's really disappointing, things are worse than I ever imagined

Mario Kart 8 was very good, an 80 - 100% sell-through in 4 days is nice to see. Wii U was not so good. However, I did notice something, that Wii Party U, New Super Mario Bros. U and Wii Fit U were all at 80-100% sell-through, are they stocked low or something to be near sold out? I'm pretty sure much of them came from the Wii U bundles, but still a little strange and rather curious.

Ugly hardware numbers all around. PS4 falling behind 3, wii u gets a boost but compared to the rest of the world a very small one, 3ds under 25k. Just nasty.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Michael-5 said:

Well it was only selling 6k a week last year. Before Mario Kart WiiU was selling 9k a week this year. So 69k would be 23 weeks at that rate. However Mario Kart should perma-boost WiiU weekly sales to maybe 11k? Then it's only 14 weeks to go.

I think WiiU will be up YoY. As for the holidays, WiiU has a lot more to offer this year then last. Last year it was just Super Mario and Pikmin. This year there is Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros, X (Maybe), SMT x Fire Emblem (maybe) and Bayonetta 2. Plus a lot of people will pick up the system for Mario Kart as well

It was 9k the week before MK, before that it was below WiiU yoy, you need to look back more than 1 week. Also I don't know if you can assume any sort of permanent boost in Japan, sales are too volatile there. If the boost was this weak why are you expecting such a good baseline?

I heard exactly the last thing last holiday for WiiU "Cheaper, more games, will sell better!" it didn't, it sold worse, in every country.

I don't expect WiiU sales to explode, but Mario Kart has always sold with a 33% attach rate on home consoles (10/33 million - N64, 7/21 million - GCN and 33/100 million - Wii). Mario Kart is Nintendo's only real long term sales booster and with the first really good console bundle just releasing, it's a sure things sales will stay up YoY.

As for the holiday arguement, I never said cheaper.......anyway, I don't agree with your logic. WiiU had a huge boom in sales in 2012 because it had a lot of hype as a newly debuted Wii console. For it to sell nearly on par in 2013 after all the bad media, with Super Mario releasing so late and WiiU having so few games, that's amazing.

So now in 2014 that some of the big guns (like Mario Kart and Smash Bros) are releasing, it's going to sell better. Mario Kart is Nintendo's Crown Jewel, it's the game that people will buy a WiiU for. The only other game I could see having a bigger affect is a retail release of a Wii Sports 2.

---

Also on a side note, while WiiU is down YoY in Japan, it's up YoY by about 3% Worldwide. This is before Mario Kart, it's pretty much a guarentee that WiiU will be up YoY. The question is when will it be up in Japan.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

Also on a side note, while WiiU is down YoY in Japan, it's up YoY by about 3% Worldwide. This is before Mario Kart, it's pretty much a guarentee that WiiU will be up YoY. The question is when will it be up in Japan.

By my count the Wii U is down YoY before Mario Kart.

For the 21 weeks ending May 24th 2014, the Wii U is at 745,800.

For the 21 weeks ending May 25th 2013, the Wii U is at 833,940.

Unless by worldwide you meant outside of Japan, but I think it is still down slightly by that metric.

If only they had released the Mario Kart 8 bundle and had a real free game promotion, things could had been better, could had atleast passed the 20k mark and maaaaybe reach 30k, the tax hike is killing everything, and the bundle plus the free game, would had ease the cost of getting the console with the game, and should had given a higher HW boost. Lets see how next week is.

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst

Everyone saying that the boost was so small, considering in Japan where the best selling console (3DS) only sells about 25k a week. I think going from 6k to 19k is a somewhat good boost but no where near as good as the US boost

Yakuzaice said:
Michael-5 said:

By my count the Wii U is down YoY before Mario Kart.

For the 21 weeks ending May 24th 2014, the Wii U is at 863,814.

For the 21 weeks ending May 25th 2013, the Wii U is at 840,752.

Unless by worldwide you meant outside of Japan, but I think it is still down slightly by that metric.

Fixed, WiiU is up 23,062, which is 2.8%. This is before Mario Kart, I expect WiiU to by up by about 10% by the end of the month, if not more.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251635/2014-year-on-year-sales-and-market-share-update-to-may-24th/

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results