Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales 01/06/14 - Mario Kart 8 Week! (>325k SW, 19k HW)

Jon-Erich said:
Did anyone bother to mention that those are three days worth of Mario Kart sales in Japan? It hasn't even been a week.

It is 4 days, and that is a normal first week in Japan.  Why do people always make posts like this when something doesn't perform as well as they might have hoped.

Experimental42 said:

Second, "Opening Week" for Mario Kart 8 sales/hw boost in Japan will be divided over two weeks. This release only covers 3 days of sales, the next 4 days of week one will be out next week.

You too.

Around the Network

Yakuzaice said:
Jon-Erich said:
Did anyone bother to mention that those are three days worth of Mario Kart sales in Japan? It hasn't even been a week.

It is 4 days, and that is a normal first week in Japan.  Why do people always make posts like this when something doesn't perform as well as they might have hoped.

Experimental42 said:

Second, "Opening Week" for Mario Kart 8 sales/hw boost in Japan will be divided over two weeks. This release only covers 3 days of sales, the next 4 days of week one will be out next week.

You too.

I guess it did come out a day eariler in Japan., so if the sales included June 1 it would be 4 days, you're right. The main point still remains however, that the first week of sales is actually divided over 2 weeks of charts.

Wow, disappointing Wii U numbers..
Console gaming seems to be almost dead in Japan.

TheLastStarFighter said:
I was expecting a 2-300% hardware boost from MK8, so I'd say this is on the low side.

Well the boost is around 200% - 300%, so your stament is that you expected the hardware boost to be on the low side?

Around the Network

Isn't this to be expected for Wii U being it's may?

Gaming is so dead in Japan. Even a huge release like Mario Kart barely pushes hardware sales.

PS4 is doomed in japan as well, going by this.

padib said:
Soundwave said:
If there ever is another traditional Nintendo console (which I'm starting to doubt, they probably go the hybrid route) ... it's time for Nintendo to ditch the idea of making consoles designed for Japanese tastes first and foremost.

They have to make a console for the Western audience 1st and foremost from here on out, like Sony did with the PS4, if they want to even compete any more.

I'm not sure what about the U was intentded for a Japanese audience first and foremost. Is it the Nintendo games?

These have historically sold well globally since Nintendo made games.

They didn't say that the WiiU was made for Japan, but they did make choices that were important for Japanese consumers but not for NA consumers. For example, they chose small size, low energy consumption and noise reduction as important factors to take into consideration in the console design. None of those factors are important in NA. Here (in NA) we have space, low energy cost and we don't care about the noise or the size of our non-mobile electronic devices. Oh and I forgot, we do buy a lot more big screen tv making 1080p more necessary for gaming or at least the difference between 720p and 1080p is more visible even for the untrained eyes on really big screens.

padib said:

What this might also tell us is that MK8 has a lot of potential for more sales.

The reason is that almost the only buyers were current owners, if the low HW bump is any indicator.

Therefore if the game gets a good deal of word of mouth, we could see the game have massive legs (which wouldn't be new to the series) and a steady prolonged boost at 15-18k for the next couple of weeks.

This is what I'm thinking (well, hoping, anyway).

Given the traditional bad HW numbers in Japan, the anticipation for MK8 wasn't enough to change HW numbers drastically right away, but now that the game is out and has a lot of positive buzz, the baseline for WiiU hardware could sustain higher.  I'd rather see a modest first week HW bump if numbers stay higher in the weeks to come than a 30 or 40k first week and then a quick return to 6k a week.

Next week's WiiU numbers will be very telling.

Wighead said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
I was expecting a 2-300% hardware boost from MK8, so I'd say this is on the low side.

Well the boost is around 200% - 300%, so your stament is that you expected the hardware boost to be on the low side?

The boost is 100%, not even close to 200-300%.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.