By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales 01/06/14 - Mario Kart 8 Week! (>325k SW, 19k HW)

I cannot comment on the cost of games in Japan, but I can say this.

The install base for the PS4 is abysmal in Japan, and while software might sell well in general, it would have to do an unprecedented job of selling consoles to make the Japanese market more relevant. The heavy hitters for Sony in Japan are FFXV and KH3. FFXV has me thinking it's going to flop quite frankly. SquareEnix lost their magic and the project's been in the works for almost a decade now which is almost never a good sign. It'll sell well in Japan, but it won't be as big as you'd expect. Kingdom Hearts 3 may suffer the same effect, but it does have a more rabid fan base that's starved for a true sequel.

I'm guessing FFXV will do well in Japan, but not as well as previous entries, and underperfom internationally. Kingdom Hearts will do good in spite of the series dying sales, because it is part of the main series. Sony will get respectable boost in Japanese sales, but probably won't overtake the Wii U in the foreseeable future.

Around the Network

One thing I think that's worth noting in general is that perennial franchises do not seem to have been affected by the hardware market contraction. Stuff like Monster Hunter on 3DS is selling as much as it ever did on PSP. The Persona 4 remake on Vita has already sold as much (+ digital) as the remake of Persona 3 did on PSP. Games like Mario Kart & Animal Crossing have seen a contraction in sales, but absolutely nothing that would be fatal to those IP's (they still sell extremely well and have time, through legs, to make up the difference).

To me, that shows that the market has simply changed. Many, many gamers have now gone to phones who would've bought a Wii/DS/PSP and possibly PS3 in the last generation. That doesn't mean that the gamers that are left aren't going to buy software. We may just see slight contractions from people who are buying the game on a whim; but I do still believe that the core market is in tact in Japan and buying games.

I just hope that the right combination of games can come along at once for the PS4 and convince the core that the console is worth buying, otherwise it may take a trickle of releases over time to get people on board and that may mean some early casualties which release before the value of the console "clicks" for a lot of people.

Stuff like Final Fantasy/Tales/Resident Evil/Yakuza/Metal Gear Solid/Dynasty Warriors/Gundam/Grand Theft Auto/Call of Duty/Battlefield all of which were PS4-exclusive (or multi-plat with XB1) would migrate the core audience over between them and as a result, I think they'd all see decent sales. Cross-gen; last-gen and a general lack of announcements is hurting that though and as a result, I don't think we're going to see decent sales for a long time from PS4. I think as a piece of hardware it won't sell exceptionally, but I still think software will start selling well on it one day. And I do believe the vast majority of those games will show up exclusively in one form or another - simply because they do the majority of their sales in the west (except for Yakuza/Dynasty Warriors/Gundam, which I think will turn up anyway because they always have).

Yakuzaice said:
Michael-5 said:

Fixed, WiiU is up 23,062, which is 2.8%. This is before Mario Kart, I expect WiiU to by up by about 10% by the end of the month, if not more.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251635/2014-year-on-year-sales-and-market-share-update-to-may-24th/

Those numbers are outdated.  It has lifetime Wii U sales at 6,221,929.  VGC currently has it at 6,103,913.  The Wii U is down 10.6% YoY before Mario Kart.

Where did you get these numbers? How did you apply them over 2014/2013?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

19k hardware is not impressive, but the software sure is.

biglittlesps said:

So, its around 350k. Does it mean it sold 850+ in Europe and USA? So, i think Nintendo numbers are shipped may be. Lets see VGC numbers for USA and europe.

480+thousand US, 350+thousand Japan, and 235+thousand EU is roughly 1.1 million. So you dont think Mario Kart 8 could nt get 100 thousand  plus in downloads and other regions not tracked here?

Around the Network
biglittlesps said:

So, its around 350k. Does it mean it sold 850+ in Europe and USA? So, i think Nintendo numbers are shipped may be. Lets see VGC numbers for USA and europe.

480+thousand US, 350+thousand Japan, and 235+thousand EU is roughly 1.1 million. So you dont think Mario Kart 8 could nt get 100 thousand  plus in downloads and other regions not tracked here?

Mario Kart 8 has gone full viral. It'll now most likely have decent legs which will translate to a higher baseline going forward. Believe!

Media Create back 30:

21 3DS (Including version included) Monster Hunter 4 Capcom
22 Vita (Including Limited Edition) - Sword Art Online - Hollow fragment NAMCO BANDAI Games
23 3DS Wagamama Fashion Girls Mode 
declaration greedy! Tokimeki UP!
Nintendo
24 3DS (Including version included) and Animal Crossing Tobidase Nintendo
25 PS4 Trials Fusion Ubisoft
26 Vita (Including Limited Edition) * Hero Senki 5pb.
27 Wii U Super Mario 3D World Nintendo
28 PS3 Grand Theft Auto V Teikutsu Interactive Japan
29 3DS Pazudora Z Gung Ho Online Entertainment
Thirty Vita Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!! Arc System Works
31 Vita Sister, I 'll try to properly more! + (Including Limited Edition) PLUS Net Revolution
32 XB360 (Including Limited Edition) Infinite Barstow - Barrett Seoul 5pb.
33 PS3 Metal Gear Solid V ground Zerozu KONAMI
34 3DS To Shea rhythm Final Fantasy curtain call 
(including version included)
Square Enix
35 3DS Xintiandi lead Harvest Moon Marvelous AQL
36 Wii U NES remix 1 +2 Nintendo
37 3DS (Including version included) Tomodachi Collection new life Nintendo
38 3DS Tsubasa giant of humanity - the end of the march Spike CHUNSOFT
39 Wii Super Smash Bros. X Nintendo
Forty 3DS Fossil Derm Gen Hori gear Nintendo
41 3DS (Including version included) New Super Mario Bros. 2 Nintendo
42 PS4 Battlefield 4 Electronic Arts
43 3DS Kasukabe movie Stars calling the storm Crayon Shin-chan! NAMCO BANDAI Games
44 Vita Teraria Spike CHUNSOFT
45 Wii U JUST DANCE Wii U Nintendo
46 3DS Hero bank SEGA
47 PS4 (Including Limited Edition) Shinsei Eoruzea: Final Fantasy XIV Square Enix
48 PS3 Battlefield 4 Electronic Arts
49 PS3 Renkinjutsushi empty Atelier twilight of Esca & Biology 
(PlayStation 3 the Best)
Gust
Fifty Vita (Including version included) God Eater 2 NAMCO BANDAI Games

WiiU is second this week, no one can deny its move units, sure its yet to be seen if this will continue, but Mario kart 8 has sold WiiU units.

Michael-5 said:

Where did you get these numbers? How did you apply them over 2014/2013?

From VGC, the first 21 weeks of each year, as I said in my initial reply to you.